Old May 23rd 05, 03:06 AM
mike maghakian

Default For Sale: Panasonic RF-2800

I have an upgraded RF-2800 for sale. the stock 2800 has several tuned
circuits but no ceramic filter in the wide position. because of this the
skirt selectivity is quite poor. I have inserted a wonderfult LF-D6 filter.
this filter is the best filter I know of for quality SWL work. the nose is
wide and the skirt is tight !! the way it should be ! now this radio licks
butt ! the narrow poition can be engaged if you want, that has not been
eliminated.
the light lever is not original but blends in quite well with the other
button levers. the feet extensions have also been removed and the radio
looks a bit better now. overall condition is very nice.

the 2600/2800 and 2900 radios from panasonic have great sound. it is one of
the few radios I have worked with where upgrading the speaker didn't help
improve sound quality on shortwave, only FM. this unit has the stock
speaker.
the MW performance on this set is very good, I pulled in a lot of MW
stations in a test the other night.

for those not aware of it, this model has digital readout on shortwave only,
the 2900 added MW and FM digital readout. also all three models drift a lot
in the first hour. it is said that panasonic did not use a quality variable
capacitor, I do not know if this is the case, but they added a calibrator so
they must have known !!

price is $100 plus shipping. which I consider a steal. this would make a
great bedside radio or one just for old times sake ~!

email me at

Old May 23rd 05, 06:07 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"mike maghakian" wrote:

[...]

"now this radio licks butt !"
Don't you just love typo's.

I own a RF2800 and it does have good sound with independent treble and
base controls. It has a good size speaker in the case. Main complaint is
drifty tuning that has to be touched up every so often. This was my
first solid state SW radio. I think I bought it around 1980 to 1983 time
frame for something like $300 new.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 25th 05, 06:20 AM
starman

mike maghakian wrote:

for those not aware of it, this model has digital readout on shortwave only,
the 2900 added MW and FM digital readout. also all three models drift a lot
in the first hour. it is said that panasonic did not use a quality variable
capacitor, I do not know if this is the case, but they added a calibrator so
they must have known !!

I had a 2900 in the early 80's. The drift was caused by the main tuning
capacitor which used polyethylene (plastic) dielectric separators
between the thin metal plates. This was the kind of tuning cap' used in
most small transistor radios for decades. To prove that the cap' was the
cause of the drift I temporarily replaced it with an air dielectric
variable cap' of the approximate range as the OEM one. This made the
oscillator much more stable. I disassembled the tuning cap' in my 2900
and carefully reassembled it taking care not to compress the stack of
plates and separators two much. This did help to make the receiver more
stable when the tuning was changed.