Old May 24th 05, 03:46 AM
Guy Atkins

Default Radio Wantok Light, PNG 7120 kHz

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 7120, 0830-1200, Wantok Radio Light, Port Moresby May 23
TENTATIVE reception of this new PNG Christian outlet first noted with
religious-sounding music fading in at 0830. Four musical tones noted at
0900:20, followed by possible ID by woman. Signal improved very slightly
past 0900, with continuous Christian contemporary and possibly PNG church
music. The language sounded Pidgin at times, but was much too weak for
positive language identification. At 1101:38, I heard a distinctive 'Bird of
Paradise' call (national bird of PNG, I believe). An MP3 recording of this
can be heard at: http://www.guyatkins.com/files/tenta...RL_7120kHz.mp3
0830 UTC is just past Port Moresby sunrise, so a darkness path makes a
difference on this frequency to the West Coast USA (and as predicted by the
propagation module within ERGO). (Atkins-WA)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
mod. ICOM IC-756Pro & mod. ICOM R-75
Kiwa MAP / ERGO
450 & 700 ft. Beverage Antennas

Old May 24th 05, 11:58 AM
dxAce

Guy Atkins wrote:

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 7120, 0830-1200, Wantok Radio Light, Port Moresby May 23
TENTATIVE reception of this new PNG Christian outlet first noted with
religious-sounding music fading in at 0830. Four musical tones noted at
0900:20, followed by possible ID by woman. Signal improved very slightly
past 0900, with continuous Christian contemporary and possibly PNG church
music. The language sounded Pidgin at times, but was much too weak for
positive language identification. At 1101:38, I heard a distinctive 'Bird of
Paradise' call (national bird of PNG, I believe). An MP3 recording of this
can be heard at: http://www.guyatkins.com/files/tenta...RL_7120kHz.mp3
0830 UTC is just past Port Moresby sunrise, ...

Port Moresby sunset rather than sunrise?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 24th 05, 02:40 PM
Guy Atkins

Yep, my slipup, DXace. I should have typed "sunset".

BTW, no trace of Wantok Radio Light heard this morning. I did spot checks of
the recordings every five minutes from 0700-1500 UTC, and only had a
threshold signal there. It could have been anyone; no clues that it was this
particular station.

Guy

Old May 24th 05, 03:50 PM
dxAce

Guy Atkins wrote:

Yep, my slipup, DXace. I should have typed "sunset".

BTW, no trace of Wantok Radio Light heard this morning. I did spot checks of
the recordings every five minutes from 0700-1500 UTC, and only had a
threshold signal there. It could have been anyone; no clues that it was this
particular station.

I did check around 1100 and only heard a het on the freq. Sunrise here is around
1000 or so.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 24th 05, 04:06 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

Guy Atkins wrote:

Yep, my slipup, DXace. I should have typed "sunset".

BTW, no trace of Wantok Radio Light heard this morning. I did spot checks of
the recordings every five minutes from 0700-1500 UTC, and only had a
threshold signal there. It could have been anyone; no clues that it was this
particular station.

I did check around 1100 and only heard a het on the freq. Sunrise here is around
1000 or so.

And that may have been a CNR outlet per EiBi.

It would be nice to QSL another PNG station, I have at least 20 QSL'd at the present
time.

dxAce
Michigan
USA