Old June 3rd 05, 07:14 AM

Because of impending holiday, I'm going to
have to shelve this for a few weeks. Hope to get back to it in July...

You can alert me via the e-mail address below when you get
back.

Old June 3rd 05, 07:45 AM

I think you are onto something here regarding the quick hit, i.e.
closed loop step response. Use one of those RF detecting scope probes
or just look at the envelope detector.If the envelope is ringing, you
need more delay. The step can be off to on for attack and on to off for
decay. It seems to me it not a matter of what you want, but rather what
is stable.

Old June 7th 05, 06:54 PM
Gary Schafer

On Sat, 28 May 2005 22:25:18 -0400, "Tom Holden"
wrote:

Thanks to all for the constructive and informative discussion. I wish I
could say that it has helped to solve my problem but I'm still wrestling
with it. The low frequency circuit analysis by Spice, Bode and Nyquist plot
are beyond my capacity but I have had some excellent help from Dave,
off-list, who eye-balled the DX-394 schematic and my mod. We identified
decoupling networks and what I assume to be AGC 'delay' networks and tackled
it on the basis that reducing the time constants of the larger ones should
reduce the low frequency phase shift that could be contributing to the
problem. The opposite occurred - increasing the 'delayed AGC' time constant
reduced the instability and effectively slowed the attack, especially on the
RF front-end. More or less the same effect was obtained by slowing the
attack in the attack network that affects all stages.

I believe 'delayed AGC' means a slower or delayed attack at the RF stages;
in the DX-394, there is a R-C network adding maybe 15 ms to the attack on
the AGC line affecting both the 1st mixer and the drain-source current of
the RF preamp and a second network adding maybe 10 ms on top of this
affecting the AGC gate of the RF preamp. I've doubled that first time
constant and doubled what I would like in my attack and release networks in
order to get the fastest stable speeds which I guess would be on the order
of 20-40 ms attack and 50-80 ms release.

My mod has a FET amp/buffer at IF driving the heck out of the diodes so that
should be fairly linear. I have adjustable gain at the output of the
detector/attack filter. I don't think BFO interference is an issue; I don't
notice any great difference in stability with it on or off - there are
separate envelope and product detectors.

I'd welcome any more input. The base DX-394 schematic is at
http://www.monitor.co.uk/radio-mods/dx-394/dx-394.htm and I'd be happy to
send anyone the schematic of my mod.

73, Tom

Tom,

You might try an rf choke in the agc line near the agc detector. With
fast attack that usually means small filter capacitors on the agc
line. Rf can be coupled into the agc line that larger time constant
capacitors would filter out.

I have also found that decreasing the capacitors at each controlled
stage to try and speed up the attack times resulted in instability of
stages due to not enough rf decoupling.

As another poster mentioned, using a low source impedance on the agc
driver amplifier will allow you to use larger capacitors on the agc
line. That can solve most rf on the agc line problems.

Regards
Gary K4FMX