Old May 25th 05, 09:41 AM
Roy Blankenship

Default Lion Mutilates 42 Midgets in Cambodian Ring-Fight

"Wist" wrote in message

http://www.newturfers.com/mwf/attach...es42MidgetsinC
ambodianRing-Fight.htm
( http://tinyurl.com/8rzjx )

Lion Mutilates 42 Midgets in Cambodian Ring-Fight

An African Lion much like this is responsible for the death of 28

Cambodian Midgets
Spectators cheered as entire Cambodian Midget Fighting League squared off

against
African Lion
Tickets had been sold-out three weeks before the much anticipated fight,

which took
place in the city of Kâmpóng Chhnãng.

The fight was slated when an angry fan contested Yang Sihamoni, President

of the
CMFL, claiming that one lion could defeat his entire league of 42

fighters.

Sihamoni takes great pride in the league he helped create, as was conveyed

in his
recent advertising campaign for the CMFL that stated his midgets will "...

take on
anything; man, beast, or machine."

This campaign is believed to be what sparked the undisclosed fan to

challenge the
entire league to fight a lion; a challenge that Sihamoni readily accepted.

An African Lion (Panthera Leo) was shipped to centrally located Kâmpóng

Chhnãng
especially for the event, which took place last Saturday, April 30, 2005

in the
city's coliseum.

The Cambodian Government allowed the fight to take place, under the

condition that
they receive a 50% commission on each ticket sold, and that no cameras

would be
allowed in the arena.

The fight was called in only 12 minutes, after which 28 fighters were

declared dead,
while the other 14 suffered severe injuries including broken bones and

lost limbs,
rendering them unable to fight back.

Sihamoni was quoted before the fight stating that he felt since his

fighters out-
numbered the lion 42 to 1, that they ". could out-wit and out-muscle

[it]."

Unfortunately, he was wrong.

----------------
This would be a Hit on PPV.

HOAX.

Old May 25th 05, 11:04 AM
arsenic

"Roy Blankenship" wrote in message

HOAX.

mightly long quote for a one-word response.

but you've just GOT to be right. gotta be a hoax. gd funny tho!

ron

Old May 25th 05, 12:33 PM
Dan

- Not bad for a hoax.. Thanks!

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/bbc-fake.htm

Old May 25th 05, 01:08 PM
Rev. RF Burns IV

"Wist" wrote in message

Lion Mutilates 42 Midgets in Cambodian Ring-Fight

While this story is an Urban Legend (..it has taken
the place of the Craig Shergold wants cards haox)
I could see this story or similar taking place in some
central american country or in mexico, where the
collective IQ of the common populace is slightly
above that of a wooly sheep.
Old May 25th 05, 02:06 PM
John S.

Before posting nonsense like this you should do the following:

1. Apply the National Enquirer test by asking yourself does the story
make sense and could it have happened.

2. Determine whether it was reported in a real newspaper with a
reputation for reporting confirmed stories.

Old May 25th 05, 03:13 PM
John Rocheleau

Has no one followed the link he provided? It takes you to the article in the
May 2, 2005 edition of BBC news--the largest broadcaster in the world. That
doesn't mean the article was true, but it certainly lends credibility to it.
I doubt the BBC would print something that had no authority attached to it.
Maybe they were fooled as well.

John
www.RocheleauPipes.com

oups.com...

Old May 25th 05, 03:30 PM
Honus

"John Rocheleau" wrote in message
Has no one followed the link he provided? It takes you to the article in

the
May 2, 2005 edition of BBC news--the largest broadcaster in the world.

No it doesn't. Look at the URL. It takes you to www.newturfers.com

People might find this URL to be of interest.

http://lionvs40midgets.uk-directory.com/

"quote"

The article you're most likely expecting to read can be found here.

If you haven't already guessed, the article is fake.

05-07-05 ::: Updated: (05-17-05 5:05 PM EST)

:: Why the article was created:

- The debate:

It was created to 'settle' a dispute between a friend of mine in which he
claimed that 40 weaponless midgets could defeat 1 lion in a hypothetical
fight. Many of my other friends and I tried to convince him that the lion
would definitely win, but he would not back down from his argument. After
seeing another fake article posing as BBC about 'zombism' in Cambodia, I got
the idea to make this fake news article to try and convince him for the
final time. (Please 'Join the debate' at the bottom to express your
opinion.)

- How it spread:

end quote

Click on the URL above to read the whole article.

Old May 25th 05, 03:32 PM

You think so? Check the URL.

Old May 25th 05, 03:45 PM
John S.

Where did you see the link to the article on the BBC news website...I
don't see one.

This is a perfect example of how easily people can be taken in by wrong
information on a website. We are all used to printed newspapers
providing articles with some level of reporting accuracy and truth.
Many of us wrongly assume the same level of honesty applies to web
based "news". Anyone can create a newsy looking website with the most
outrageously wrong stories.

Old May 25th 05, 05:11 PM
John Rocheleau

I guess the page was an altered BBC news page, but here is another link to
it aside from the one provided in the post:
http://www.fmft.net/archives/BBC_NEWS.htm
It's an actual BBC page with that article inserted--I'm assuming--I doubt
now that one will find it in the BBC archive for that date.

John
www.RocheleauPipes.com

oups.com...