Old May 27th 05, 02:25 PM
Lucky

"Lucky" wrote in message

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lucky,
.
The Coax Cable {Shielded} Loop Antenna will have a
relative 'small' size an therefore a smaller signal
level; but the relative noise level will be reduced
much lower then the signal level (greater noise
reduction).
.
The Coax Cable {Shielded} Loop Antenna can be rotated /
positioned to help 'tune-out' your local noise sources.
.
The Coax Cable {Shielded} will usually have a better
Signal-to-Noise Ratio then many other larger antennas.
.
The Pre-Amp can be used to boost the lower signal
levels of the Loop Antenna to Hear Radio Signals
that may not be hear with other Antennas due to the
higher noise levels present when using the other
Antennas.
.
.
Two (2) Coax Cable {Shielded} Loop Antennas
for Shortwave All Band Coverage.
.
A single 25 Foot piece of RG8 Coax Cable with PL-259
Plugs on each end can be made into two separate Coax
Cable Loop Antennas :
Cut into a 9 Foot and 16 Foot sections.
.
= Thirteen Foot (13') Loop Element with a Four Foot
(4') Diameter and a Three Foot (3') Feed-in-Line for
a Total Length of 16 Feet. This Thirteen Foot (13')
Coax Cable {Shielded} Loop Antenna is roughly 'cut'
for the 49m Shortwave Band with good coverage across
the 75m, 60m, 41m, and 31m Bands.
.
= Six Foot (6') Loop Element with a Two Foot (2')
Diameter and a a Three Foot (3') Feed-in-Line for
a Total Length of 9 Feet. This Six Foot (6') Coax
Cable {Shielded} Loop Antenna is roughly 'cut' for
the 22m Shortwave Band with good coverage across
the 31m, 25m, 19m, and 16m Bands.
.
Sizing the GreerTech Coax Cable {Shielded} Loop Antenna
for the Shortwave Bands :
http://www.greertech.com/hfloop/charts.html#SWL%20CHART
.
.
RG8 'type' Coax Cable "In-Door" Loop Antennas :
.
* Coax Cable [Shielded] Loop Antennas {GreerTech}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1625
.
* Tuning the GreerTech [Coax Cable] HF Loop Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1730
.
* Loop Antenna -or- Active Loop Antenna ? ?
.
.
iane ~ RHF
. . . . .

I have built my own loop but it's way to big and I have to downsize it. I
used like a 12Ft copper coil with a 1/2" to 5/8" ID
I then bought a 8 Ft by 1" length of PVC tubing and cut side holes the
size of the coil OD or a little bigger on top and midway. Then after
getting the coil as round as possible, I slid it thru the PVC holes I
made. I used a small wooden round peg inside the ends of the copper coil
for separation.

I picked a large air variable capacitor off Ebay and hooked up the coax
using the shielded method from here and from other sites.
http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=9868

This page had good info I used for building one but I made mine round not
square.
http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=9868

And here is great resources for building your own loop:
http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/Loop/

I'm going to trim this loop down and hook it up to the 150's socket and
put the switch on "Whip" for the pre amp to kick in. I also have a couple
round pieces of metal that you find in lamp shades to keep them round.
They are usually on the top and bottom part of the lamp shade.

They look and feel great for making a small desk side loop and you can
choose the size you want from a selection from thrift shops that sell old
lamps and shades. One shade can make 2 loops.

I might make a new one but using a smaller air cap and a good rotating
stand for it. I'd pick up a small electric remote control rotator and
leave the loop on the terrace and control it from the room. They are not
expensive.

Thanks for good links RHF. They help give me more ideas so I can
experiment.

Lucky

Sorry for the two same URL's being the same.
Here is the main page I used:

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=9376

Lucky

Old May 27th 05, 02:31 PM

This is interesting. Have you (or anyone else in the group) actually
used a preselector and/or highpass filter with a 7030 and found it to
result in improved performance? The 7030 is said to have such a robust
front end that additional filtering is the last thing I'd expect to
make a noticeable difference. In fact, I'd expect whatever tiny
improvement that resulted from the extra filter to be outweighed by
insertion loss.

However, I have an open mind about this--as well as a Kiwa highpass
filter, standing by.

Steve

Old May 27th 05, 02:49 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...
This is interesting. Have you (or anyone else in the group) actually
used a preselector and/or highpass filter with a 7030 and found it to
result in improved performance? The 7030 is said to have such a robust
front end that additional filtering is the last thing I'd expect to
make a noticeable difference. In fact, I'd expect whatever tiny
improvement that resulted from the extra filter to be outweighed by
insertion loss.

However, I have an open mind about this--as well as a Kiwa highpass
filter, standing by.

Steve

Hi there Steve

I'm also interested in that Kiwa highpass filter you mentioned. They do the
mod for you too. What have you added to the 150 as improvements?

Lucky

Old May 27th 05, 03:08 PM

I haven't really added anything. I already had the Kiwa highpass filter
(which is a very good filter) and have been using it to reinforce the
150's front end. The Kiwa filter completely eliminated what minor
problems I had with intermodulation. Otherwise the 150 works fine as it
is.

Steve

Old May 27th 05, 03:33 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...
I haven't really added anything. I already had the Kiwa highpass filter
(which is a very good filter) and have been using it to reinforce the
150's front end. The Kiwa filter completely eliminated what minor
problems I had with intermodulation. Otherwise the 150 works fine as it
is.

Steve

Steve,

This is what Kiwa offers for the 150:
http://www.kiwa.com/HF150.html

Where did you get your highpass filter and did you install it yourself or is
it external?

Lucky

Old May 27th 05, 05:05 PM

Yes, I have the external highpass filter sold by Kiwa. You can find
information about it he http://www.kiwa.com/bcb.html.

Since MW DX-ing doesn't interest me very much, and since it's a pain to
be tuning a preselector all the time, it's nice to have a filter like
this that will heavily attenuate *everything* below 2500 khz.

I.C.E. sells a comparable highpass filter (model 402), and I believe
Par Electronics does as well.

Steve

Old May 27th 05, 05:10 PM
Pete KE9OA

Hi Steve,

You are correct in your assumption. The preselector isn't really necessary.
My statement was purely theoretical.......I think that the only way you
would see a difference would be if you would have a few signal generators
hooked through isolators and combiners, set up at high output levels and
tuned to different frequencies.
This would allow you to see the multi-tone response under very adverse
conditions. Under these conditions, a preselector would help.
Do you need to do this in the real world? Not really, unless you were using
this receiver on a ship where there were several high power transmitters
being used at the same time.

Pete

oups.com...

Old May 28th 05, 05:15 PM
Lucky

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
On topic, I hope....................Dave Z has just started a Yahoo
newsgroup that centers on Lowe receivers. The URL is:

Pete

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
Hi Steve,

You are correct in your assumption. The preselector isn't really
necessary. My statement was purely theoretical.......I think that the
only way you would see a difference would be if you would have a few
signal generators hooked through isolators and combiners, set up at high
output levels and tuned to different frequencies.
This would allow you to see the multi-tone response under very adverse
conditions. Under these conditions, a preselector would help.
Do you need to do this in the real world? Not really, unless you were
using this receiver on a ship where there were several high power
transmitters being used at the same time.

Pete

wrote in message
oups.com...
This is interesting. Have you (or anyone else in the group) actually
used a preselector and/or highpass filter with a 7030 and found it to
result in improved performance? The 7030 is said to have such a robust
front end that additional filtering is the last thing I'd expect to
make a noticeable difference. In fact, I'd expect whatever tiny
improvement that resulted from the extra filter to be outweighed by
insertion loss.

However, I have an open mind about this--as well as a Kiwa highpass
filter, standing by.

Steve

Pete,

Of course it's on topic cause they might be discussing the antennas they use
on the 150. I was wondering why there no discussion group geared toward the
Lowe 150 and it's family members!
Thanks

Lucky

Old May 29th 05, 06:47 AM
Lucky

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
Hi Steve,

You are correct in your assumption. The preselector isn't really
necessary. My statement was purely theoretical.......I think that the
only way you would see a difference would be if you would have a few
signal generators hooked through isolators and combiners, set up at
high output levels and tuned to different frequencies.
This would allow you to see the multi-tone response under very adverse
conditions. Under these conditions, a preselector would help.
Do you need to do this in the real world? Not really, unless you were
using this receiver on a ship where there were several high power
transmitters being used at the same time.

Pete

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm fast!

Lucky

FA: VHF / UHF Antenna Assortment - starting at $5.00 Les Wilson Swap 0 March 7th 05 01:09 AM
Discone antenna plans [email protected] Antenna 13 January 14th 05 11:51 PM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 04:34 AM