Old May 27th 05, 04:30 PM
dxAce

Default Why no Yaesu Prizes at Hamvention?

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Dee,

I am basing my comments on what I see within the hobby.

When I went to Dayton, I was a member of a group of about 30 members
who spent significant time and money to go and we did that for many
years.

From that group, now only less than five people go to Dayton and even

those only go every couple years.

These are people who do hold licenses but use them less and less if at
all. Many have since sold their stations.

Ham radio is in its twilight years and as the old guard dies off which
is happening at an ever increasing rate, the slide into obscurity will
accelerate.

As has been noted earlier, take a hard look at the demographics of the
attendees of the Dayton Hamvention. It is obvious to the most casual
observer that the age of the attendees is heavily weighted to the
50-60+ year range. Give them another ten years and the numbers decline
further, it is doubtful that they will have the numbers to sustain the
costs incurred to host the Hamvention.

I also think that manufacturers are preparing for this decline.

Interesting that at the same time Yaesu is releasing a $10,000 + transceiver.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 27th 05, 04:42 PM
Too_Many_Tools

Releasing and selling are two completely different things....

That product is was not designed with the ham community as the prime
customer.

Remember the LAST ham radio that Collins introduced, how many were
actually sold and how much they really cost?

Come back a year from now and tell me how many of them you have
actually seen sold.

TMT

Old May 27th 05, 04:55 PM
dxAce

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Releasing and selling are two completely different things....

Well, they are indeed up for sale, apparently.

That product is was not designed with the ham community as the prime
customer.

Sure has that 'ham radio' look to it.

Remember the LAST ham radio that Collins introduced, how many were
actually sold and how much they really cost?

I have no idea.

Come back a year from now and tell me how many of them you have
actually seen sold.

I don't plan on standing at the counter all day long...

dxAce
Michigan
USA