Old June 12th 05, 05:55 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Brian Running wrote:

w_tom wrote:

(a lot)

But, Dubya Tom, I think you're missing the most important point: Earth
ground. Earth ground is what's really, really, really, really, really
important. Earth ground. It's important. The most important thing is
earth ground. And humans. And earth ground.

Tom is an idiot. I say that you can't install and forget grounding or
other protective devices and he says that I'm a quitter. The only thing
that has quit are his last few brain cells.

Some people are not mentally grounded. They can be brought to zero
potential by an addition to the kill file. Really!

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 12th 05, 02:21 PM
David

On 4 Jun 2005 10:34:02 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

In a recent conversation with fellow SWLers, we noted that each of us
used a different (or nonexistent) solution to lightning protection.

You can also see this attitude in antenna discussions...very little
discussion on proper grounding and lightning disappation.

So the question... what do YOU use for lightning protection to prevent
you and your radios from being turned into melted blobs of charred
tissue and plastic? Examples of proven designs with their accompanying
stories would be of particular interest.

TMT

Disconnect everything from the outside world. Everything else can
fail, like a condom.

BTW: Haven't seen anything resembling lightning here for several
years.

34, -118

Old June 14th 05, 10:24 PM
RHF

DaviD,
" Everything else can fail, like a condom. "
Old June 17th 05, 04:35 AM
Michael A. Terrell

No One You Know wrote:

What some of you people don't see is that during most thunder storms
here in central Florida there can be an average lightning strikes in
the thousands for each storm. Not your typical anywhere else in the US.
That being said, there is no protection from a direct hit. Never was
and never will be( affordable anyway). You can protect from near hits
though through proper grounding. Heck, when I lived in northern
Michigan I would get a static charge from a snow storm at times.
Protect as well as can be done affordable and then rely on you
homeowners policy to pick up the pieces. After all, thats why you
bought insurance isn't it?

Yeah Mike, we're getting some things together again but I'm not going
for a generator yet, just canned goods and LP tanks and batteries etc.
I guess we should board up in June and take the boards off in December.
Makes for a dark summer ;-p

I picked up a truckload of plywood for my dad and step mom the other
day. My dad is cutting them to size and painting them to withstand the
hard, blown rain and ground water if we get hit again. I can't afford
any plywood this year, so I just have to take my chances. I had enough
pieces of scrap plywood to do the west side of my house, but it seems to
have disappeared into my dad's woodworking projects over the last four
years that we didn't have any hurricane worries.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida