Old June 12th 05, 05:28 AM
Telamon

In article ,
uncle arnie wrote:

mike0219116 wrote:

I never reply to OT threads but I will make an exception here.

In many respects, I think the state of this NG reflects the state of
the hobby. I would assume that if the DXing hobby was thriving to any
degree, there would be a plethora of posts reflecting this. However, a
majority of the topics here are OT crap. I am also willing to bet that
the attrition rate of regular posters in this NG is rather high, and I
don't blame them. I also don't blame people who just stumble upon
this group looking for shortwave Info. to spend five minutes reading
the posts and then leave, never to return. I lurk rather than post and
run the risk of being plonked, being called a 'tard. or told to take
my meds, put on my tin foil hat, or tote, etc... I am astounded at the
time and energy that people invest in this NG to arguing with each
other. What an utter and complete waste of one's life. I once heard
somebody say that, "Arguing on the internet is like playing with your
balls. It feels good at the time, but nobody really cares." I think
that is an accurate, if not profane, way to get the point across.

Posters are in several categories.
-People who are into Dxing.
-People who listen to short wave for the content: program listeners.
-People who are looking for a place to debate stuff they've heard on SW.
-People who are looking for a soap box from which to debate stuff they've
heard on SW or crap they haven't.
-Trolls. Typically they post the same dumb lines or insults.
-The socially or mentally deviant or ill.

The last two I killfile. The third last is the hardest to deal with.

I would be number 2 on your list but also things not on your list.

1. I like to report not debate what I've heard on SW if it provokes a
reaction from me when I heard it. I'm not interested in an argument
about anything I've posted. If you disagree about some fact I've posted
I want to hear about it but what I think (opinion) is what I think. If
you don't agree with my opinion that is fine with me. I don't have an
expectation that everyone will agree with my take on things. That would
be silly.

2. I like to exchange ideas about antennas and reception of SW signals.

3. I like to read about the different aspects of the hobby that other
people take up like utility signals or Dx'ing.

4. I like reports on the use of or exchange of information on radios.

5. Well, just about anything else that people do with the hobby such as
modifying radios.

I figure that the majority of people that read the news group don't post
due to being cowed by the Trolls and that is a shame. I encourage all
reading this post to participate by posting here about SW and just kill
file the waste of time Trolls.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 12th 05, 05:29 AM
nobody

There always will be and there's nothing you can do about it except learn to
ignore it or live with it...

"Bill Otten" wrote in message

But there's a bunch of whack jobs who post, cross post to this group on
circular hair loss, Disney killing sharks, racist bignoses spewing about
Jacko, Bush killing with greenhouse gases.

Old June 13th 05, 02:42 AM
blueberry stains

"Bill Otten" wrote in message

But there's a bunch of whack jobs who post, cross post to this group on
circular hair loss, Disney killing sharks, racist bignoses spewing about
Jacko, Bush killing with greenhouse gases.

Yess Bill, it's really bad when the wind shifts and the various
smells eminating from the trailer park across the tracks
starts to blow downwind...... : (

When that happens however I just go to the URL below and I feel better : )

http://www.rathergood.com/vines/

xoxoxo
Herbie (no..not THAT Herb dammit!)

Old June 17th 05, 07:43 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:33:29 -0400, dxAce

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:55:07 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

mike0219116 wrote:

Flame away.

Hey... at least I got your attention!

Children, in their immaturity qnd loneliness, are often
satisfied with negative attention.

About all you're going to get.

About as much as I would have expected from a dimwit like you.
Old June 18th 05, 12:44 AM
m II

dxAce wrote:

Yep, a real dimwit... I suggest you leave the real radio to the big boys.

Much like the way you left guitar playing to the big boys, little Bozo...How's
your allegedly suspicious insurance claim coming along?

mike
Old June 18th 05, 04:28 AM
dxAce

m II wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Yep, a real dimwit... I suggest you leave the real radio to the big boys.

Much like the way you left guitar playing to the big boys, little Bozo...How's
your allegedly suspicious insurance claim coming along?

Coming along quite well actually! Those insurance companys generally come around a
wee bit when they get an interesting call from an attorney who has the medical
evidence to back things up... I think it was the MRI I had that helped as well.

Continue to tote you worthless Canuck!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old June 19th 05, 04:41 AM
m II

sneerbarrel wrote the start of something great. He had the Ace along as
co-author and 'shine tester.

=======================================
If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup trucks
fire an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of highway
signs, they will eventually produce all the world's great literary works in
Braille.

http://tlc.ousd.k12.ca.us/~acody/laws.html
=======================================

mike
Old June 19th 05, 01:05 PM
dxAce

beerbarrel wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 03:41:43 GMT, m II wrote:

sneerbarrel wrote the start of something great. He had the Ace along as
co-author and 'shine tester.

=======================================
If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup trucks
fire an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of highway
signs, they will eventually produce all the world's great literary works in
Braille.

http://tlc.ousd.k12.ca.us/~acody/laws.html
=======================================

mike

Sounds like fun! Would you stand in front of the sign please.

That's a grand idea!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old June 19th 05, 02:07 PM
m II

peebarrel wrote:

...inconsequential hillbilly nonsense...

I hear your sister calling you from the woodshed...

mike

Forum for listening/scanning/Ham/Short-wave etc. [eLiTe]Shaggy Scanner 0 March 7th 05 05:18 PM
Forum for listening/scanning/Ham/Short-wave etc. [eLiTe]Shaggy Shortwave 4 March 5th 05 12:01 AM
New Web Forum Peter Homebrew 0 September 14th 04 10:07 PM
New Ham / Motorola Forum / No FA Spam There MSisco9939 Swap 0 May 8th 04 11:16 AM