Old June 12th 05, 12:28 AM
Bill Otten

Default Lotta QRM on this forum

I gotta get a newsreader with an ignore function...Mozilla's Thunderbird
won't do it. I really like this forum and the shortwave and radio
modification content, lightning protection, etc. Things related to radio.

But there's a bunch of whack jobs who post, cross post to this group on
circular hair loss, Disney killing sharks, racist bignoses spewing about
Jacko, Bush killing with greenhouse gases.

Anyhow, thanks to all who post with RADIO topics. Oh well, off the soapbox,
I've got the tower tilted down and over to remove the rotor on the
HF/VHF/UHF and satellite beams for maintainance. Now that the wind has
diminished here in Florida I could take it down for repair.

73,
Bill
KC9CS

Old June 12th 05, 01:48 AM
mike0219116

I never reply to OT threads but I will make an exception here.

In many respects, I think the state of this NG reflects the state of
the hobby. I would assume that if the DXing hobby was thriving to any
degree, there would be a plethora of posts reflecting this. However, a
majority of the topics here are OT crap. I am also willing to bet that
the attrition rate of regular posters in this NG is rather high, and I
don't blame them. I also don't blame people who just stumble upon
this group looking for shortwave Info. to spend five minutes reading
the posts and then leave, never to return. I lurk rather than post and
run the risk of being plonked, being called a 'tard. or told to take
my meds, put on my tin foil hat, or tote, etc... I am astounded at the
time and energy that people invest in this NG to arguing with each
other. What an utter and complete waste of one's life. I once heard
somebody say that, "Arguing on the internet is like playing with your
balls. It feels good at the time, but nobody really cares." I think
that is an accurate, if not profane, way to get the point across.

Flame away.

Old June 12th 05, 01:55 AM
dxAce

mike0219116 wrote:

[...]

Hey... at least I got your attention!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old June 12th 05, 02:05 AM
craigm

Bill Otten wrote:
I gotta get a newsreader with an ignore function...Mozilla's Thunderbird
won't do it.

In Thunderbird, you can mark a thread as read, all current and future
messages are then not highlighted. From the toolbar Message-Ignore
Thread. You can then select to only see unread messages. From the
toolbar View-Messages-Unread.

You can also eliminate posts from specific senders. From the toolbar
select Message-Create Filter From Message. This won't get rid of
existing posts but eliminates future posts until the sender changes his
address.

I really like this forum and the shortwave and radio
modification content, lightning protection, etc. Things related to radio.

By using the above you can make most of the junk go away.

But there's a bunch of whack jobs who post, cross post to this group on
circular hair loss, Disney killing sharks, racist bignoses spewing about
Jacko, Bush killing with greenhouse gases.

No matter what you say, they won't go away. Your best option is to just
ignore them.

Anyhow, thanks to all who post with RADIO topics. Oh well, off the soapbox,
I've got the tower tilted down and over to remove the rotor on the
HF/VHF/UHF and satellite beams for maintainance. Now that the wind has
diminished here in Florida I could take it down for repair.

Good luck on the repairs.

craigm

73,
Bill
KC9CS

Old June 12th 05, 02:16 AM
uncle arnie

mike0219116 wrote:

[...]

Posters are in several categories.
-People who are into Dxing.
-People who listen to short wave for the content: program listeners.
-People who are looking for a place to debate stuff they've heard on SW.
-People who are looking for a soap box from which to debate stuff they've
heard on SW or crap they haven't.
-Trolls. Typically they post the same dumb lines or insults.
-The socially or mentally deviant or ill.

The last two I killfile. The third last is the hardest to deal with.

Old June 12th 05, 02:18 AM
David

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:55:07 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

mike0219116 wrote:

[...]

a US Air Force study points to the use of "induced ionospheric
modifications" as a means of altering weather patterns as well as
disrupting enemy communications and radar

http://www.haarp.net/

Old June 12th 05, 02:44 AM
dxAce

wrote:

mike0219116 wrote:

[...]

Up here we got a saying for your behaviour... it's called being 'off the res'.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old June 12th 05, 03:49 AM
B. Otten

beerbarrel wrote:

If you like this forum why have you never posted?

Actually I have. I've made comments particularly in response to the
thread on lightning, posted my own website with the construction of my
antenna system safeguards to help protect against lightning (I don't
think one can prevent lightning). And I do read all the posts pertinent
to shortwave and radio in general. I've been lurking about just a few
short weeks so I'll get more involved with the radio topics.

Bill
KC9CS
Old June 12th 05, 04:04 AM
running dogg

uncle arnie wrote:

mike0219116 wrote:

[...]

I personally only post OT when it's something I've heard on SW. Say what
you want about the BBC's agenda, they have some provocative news
stories, and I like to discuss them with people who have also heard the
program. I also would like to discuss stuff I've heard on Radio Havana,
but most of the people here automatically regard anything the Cubans say
about anything to be a total fabrication, so I've given up on that.
(Just a couple nights ago, they said that the Pentagon is now spending
ONE TRILLION DOLLARS A YEAR! 82% of all military spending on the
*planet*! They also said that the US media, especially the cable news
channels, is giving Bush a free ride, something I think we all suspect.
But I suppose they were lying, and that the Pentagon really doesn't
spend that much, and the US press is truly in it for truth, justice, and
the American Way.) There are also posters (at least ONE poster) whose OT
posts consist mostly of stuff plucked off the web, and not heard on SW
at all. These should also be killfiled.

Old June 12th 05, 05:09 AM

mike0219116 wrote:
I never reply to OT threads but I will make an exception here.

snip

I once heard
somebody say that, "Arguing on the internet is like playing with your
balls. It feels good at the time, but nobody really cares." I think
that is an accurate, if not profane, way to get the point across.

Flame away.

I use golf tees to rest my balls on when driving and wouldn't dream of
swinging with someone else's ball.

Forum for listening/scanning/Ham/Short-wave etc. [eLiTe]Shaggy Scanner 0 March 7th 05 05:18 PM
Forum for listening/scanning/Ham/Short-wave etc. [eLiTe]Shaggy Shortwave 4 March 5th 05 12:01 AM
New Web Forum Peter Homebrew 0 September 14th 04 10:07 PM
New Ham / Motorola Forum / No FA Spam There MSisco9939 Swap 0 May 8th 04 11:16 AM