Old June 16th 05, 02:09 AM
Wannabe DXer

Default Looking for a real DX setup

Up to now I've been using portable SW radios, but would like to graduate to
a real DXing setup. I've been considering either the Japan Radio Co. NRD-545
DSP http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/1545.html or the Ten-Tec
RX-350D http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0350.html

Which of these would probably do the best for DXing?

Suggestions?

Old June 16th 05, 02:18 AM
John Smith

This works well for me:
http://www.thiecom.de/english/g313i/

Warmest regards,
John

news:1118884196.05d57dc7f630f12a4921703480bafd7b@t eranews...

Old June 16th 05, 02:27 AM
Dan

Portable SW radios can be pretty good..

- What kind of antenna do you have; I think that's really the most
important feature..

You can take a portable to remote, low noise areas
string out Huge antennas and pick up all sorts of stuff

Dan ( R-75 & 100 feet of raandom wire)

Old June 16th 05, 02:33 AM
Wannabe DXer

How well does this Winradio stack up to high quality tabletop sets?

Old June 16th 05, 02:34 AM
Wannabe DXer

Right now I'm using an AN-LP1 antenna. It works better than the whip, but
still doesn't do very well with distant stations.

oups.com...

Old June 16th 05, 02:40 AM
Michael

"Wannabe DXer" wrote in message
news:1118884196.05d57dc7f630f12a4921703480bafd7b@t eranews...
Up to now I've been using portable SW radios, but would like to graduate
a real DXing setup. I've been considering either the Japan Radio Co.
NRD-545
DSP http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/1545.html or the
Ten-Tec
RX-350D http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0350.html

Which of these would probably do the best for DXing?

Suggestions?

I have used an NRD-545 for a few nights. A friend lent me his for a week
when I was considering buying one a few months back. I thought it would be
an advance on my Icom R-75. It was not a better DX'ing rig then the R-75
regardless of the DSP capabilities of the NRD-545. I found it to be tinny
sounding and without question WAY over priced. I have never used the
RX-350D. I have also used a Drake R8 and a Kenwood R-5000. Of the R8,
R-5000, NRD-545 and the R-75, I have found the R-75 to be the best rig for
DX-ing. I tend to do all of my DX'ing in ssb mode using ECSS tuning. The
R-75 is King for this.

Still... Your antenna set up and your location is more important then your
rig. If you live an a congested area with lots of noise sources, no rig is
going to be very effective. Also... If you dont have a good antenna set up,
your rig wont matter either.

For hard core DX'ing the best rig I can recommend under $2,000.00 is the
R-75. A new one is under $600.00. Your best bet for an antenna would
depend on your circumstances. Can you put something up outside ??? If so,
how much of an area do you have to work with ???
--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: New Jersey
Primary Receiver: R-75 with full Kiwa mods
Antennas: G5RV, 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire
Additional Radios: 7600GR,KA-1101,KA-1102
PL-550, KA-989, Info-Mate 837, GE-SR III
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Web Site: http://md_dxing.tripod.com

Old June 16th 05, 02:43 AM
John Smith

Wannabe:

Well, you can read and compare the specs... one thing you'll notice is
the winradio goes to 180 Mhz with the extended version I have--it is
great...

I have never sat it right beside an old table top and compared--with
same antennas...

It works well is all I can claim... I got mine off ebay... I paid under
$200.00 with shipping included--but just looked and can't find any there
right now...

news:1118885606.4d986edc073875493c6adfc28ec40f6d@t eranews...

Old June 16th 05, 03:01 AM
Wannabe DXer

"Michael" wrote in message

[...]

I could put up something in my backyard. It's about 50 meters wide by 40
meters deep. What sort of antenna did you have in mind?

Old June 16th 05, 03:02 AM
craigm

"John Smith" wrote in message

This works well for me:
http://www.thiecom.de/english/g313i/

Warmest regards,
John

The 313i holds its own against desktops. Also consider the Icom 746Pro.

craigm
Old June 16th 05, 03:18 AM
Dan

Long wire with a co-ax feed-in.. as high as possible and far away from
electrical interference..

check out the web site below

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...age/index.html

AN-LP1 is OK .. random wire is much bettter..