Old June 19th 05, 09:48 PM
lsmyer

It's not a bad radio to take outside, but it's a bit heavy to tote around
all day, especially when it's full of four D-cells. The padded handle comes
in real handy.

Old June 19th 05, 11:23 PM
Lucky

"lsmyer" wrote in message
It's not a bad radio to take outside, but it's a bit heavy to tote around
all day, especially when it's full of four D-cells. The padded handle
comes in real handy.

The black Tecson BCL2000 looks very nice also. I read Grundig will come out
with red and black s350DLs. So prices on the old models should head south
fast.

Lucky

Old June 20th 05, 12:24 PM
homepc

I have a Degen DE1103 at my bedside. It's too bad it doesn't come with a
decent carrying strap handle on the top of the radio like the S350 or the
FR200. The little carry strap on the side of the radio is useless to me.

"Lucky" wrote in message

"lsmyer" wrote in message
I own one of the very first Tecsun BCL-2000s (the original Chinese version
of the S350) to be shipped outside of China, and I have never seen a
reason to "fix" this radio.

Sure, the frequency drifts some. I consider it a badge of honor to own an
analog radio with a little drift. But this radio's real charm is its
size, its look (I have one of the original candy-apple red ones), its
sound, and its sensitivity. I am 100% satisfied with mine, and wouldn't
pay a penny more for any of the latest version's supposed improvements.

Hi there Ismyer,

You've convinced me to pick up one off Ebay. While I was playing with it
in the store, I took a liking to it immediately with it's style and
personality.
Has a nice feel and look to it. But, I have no idea how good it's
performance is. I have a Degen 1103 for my portable.

My Lowe HF-150 is portable too but I just can't take it outside yet. I
think it's too good of a receiver to take any unnecessary chances with it!
I mean it.

But, I could see myself taking the S350 out for a walk and some ice
cream....

Lucky

Old June 20th 05, 12:58 PM
Lucky

news

"Lucky" wrote in message

"lsmyer" wrote in message
[...]

Good morning HomePC

I know what you mean. I'm always a little worried about it when I carry it
around outside and depend on that string to support it. But, they kept the
radio cheap by doing this. Degen put their resources into the inside of the
radio where it really counts. That's why you can buy one so cheap.

I'm talking about getting it off Ebay at rock bottom prices. I got mine
shipped for like $65 Heck even the USA version at $79 is a good deal. I
find the 1103 to be a miniature tabletop receiver. It can pick up SSB just
fine. Very sensitive for a portable.

I've decided to hold off on my S350 purchase. One main reason is it only
takes D sized batteries. I don't have a D cell recharger and I don't plan on
buying new batteries every 3 days. So, for the price of a D sized recharger
and the radio, I might as well wait to see where the S350DL prices go.

It might come out the same total price so I'd rather have the DL if it
really fixed the drift and it sounds better. Plus, it can use AA's batteries
as well as Ds. That's a big factor for me. It cuts down on the weight of the
radio and I have a 8 way AA recharger. If they go for $150 retail, I bet the
Taiwan dealers hack it down to $99 for sure.

Lucky

Old June 20th 05, 05:36 PM
lsmyer

Lucky,

My BCL-2000 is two years old and I have never changed its batteries. When I
first got it, I went to the Dollar Store and bought four cheap Panasonic
alkaline D-cells. Two years later, they are just now needing to be replaced.
At first, I listened several hours a day, but lately my wife has been using
the radio in the kitchen because it was something that she could pick up a
distant FM station that plays really good music, so I'm not sure how much
she has actually been using it.

I can assure you that you will be pleasantly pleased with this radio's
frugality with batteries.

Old June 20th 05, 06:07 PM
Lucky

"lsmyer" wrote in message
Lucky,

My BCL-2000 is two years old and I have never changed its batteries. When
I first got it, I went to the Dollar Store and bought four cheap Panasonic
alkaline D-cells. Two years later, they are just now needing to be
replaced. At first, I listened several hours a day, but lately my wife has
been using the radio in the kitchen because it was something that she
could pick up a distant FM station that plays really good music, so I'm
not sure how much she has actually been using it.

I can assure you that you will be pleasantly pleased with this radio's
frugality with batteries.

Wow. That's a pretty damn neat trick that they pulled off. 2 years on one
set of 4 D's. But, considering I'm willing to stay with Double Dees for more
then 4 years myself....if she'd stay that is, I can see the radio loving 4

Lucky

Old June 20th 05, 08:16 PM
Jim Hackett

While I admit I don't listen to mine much (90 minutes/day/3or4 days/week), I
have NEVER changed the batteries in mine since I bought it over a year
ago...

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message
ink.net...
The 350 isn't like the Sat-800 when it comes to battery consumption. It
will EASILY go 6 months on a set of D cells...

"Lucky" wrote in message

"homepc" wrote in message
news I have a Degen DE1103 at my bedside. It's too bad it doesn't come

with

"Lucky" wrote in message

"lsmyer" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Jim

Really? How can that be? Are you talking about listening to it at least 2
hours/day outside? That's great if it's 6 months.

Lucky

Old June 21st 05, 01:11 AM
mike0219116

Just a bit of trivia to add to this: I bought another S350 and it
arrived today, and I noticed that this one is pewter rather than
silver. I wonder how long this change has been implemented? I also
noticed that drift was 1 KHz at most at start-up and then disappeared
totally after about 20-30 Min.

jamulc wrote:
Presumably, there's less drift.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0036.html

Old June 21st 05, 01:34 PM
John S.

That whopping price increase sure moves it out of the volksradio
league. It's appeal was good audio and decent performance on all bands
for less than $100.00.

Old June 21st 05, 03:23 PM
John S.

I've notived a lot of discounted Grundig S350's on Ebay. I'm sure some
of them are factory refurbs, but my real questoin is whether the
original 350 has been discontinued. I could use one of those for a
shop and gardening radio at those prices.