Old June 24th 05, 06:40 AM
Elden Fenison

Default Sony ICF 7600 vs Yaesu VX-5... suggestions

I've been contemplating a shortwave receiver purchase. I had an ICOM
IC-718 that probably would have done very well. Alas, I sold it on Ebay.
I didn't realize it's value as a SW receiver.

At any rate, I understand the Sony ICF 7600 is a pretty good choice.
Unfortunately, they seem to be hard to find. Perhaps they're being
discontinued? The local HRO here has had them on order for about 6
months with no shipment in sight.

So I got to thinking. I have a Yaesu VX-5 handheld. This radio has
pretty wide receive capability. My thoughts were along the lines of
getting a Sony AN-LP1 antenna and hooking it onto the end of the stock
rubber duck.

Yaesu actually recommends hooking a wire onto the duck for shortwave
listening. It has a screw off end that can easily accomdate a round
eyelet connector.

Any thoughts as to how the VX-5 might perform as compared to the Sony
radio?

Thanks in advance.

--
-=Elden=-
http://www.moondog.org
Old June 24th 05, 07:00 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Elden Fenison wrote:

[...]

Try a SW radio distributor such as Universal
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0360.html
I'm pretty sure they have them in stock.

A small hand held wide band radio does not sound like a good bet.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 24th 05, 11:40 PM
Elden Fenison

* Telamon [06/24/2005 06:00 UTC]:
Try a SW radio distributor such as Universal
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0360.html I'm pretty
sure they have them in stock.

A small hand held wide band radio does not sound like a good bet.

Thanks for the reply Telamon. I just visited the local HRO today and by
golly they got some of the Sony ICF 7600s in. So I've purchased one of
those and an AN-LP1 antenna.

I was almost leaning to a Yaesu FT-857D... all-band, all-mode ham
transceiver with an ATAS-120 self-tuning screwdriver antenna. But that's
about $1000 total and being in an apartment, I don't think I'd really be
able to get out well enough with an indoor antenna to justify spending
that much extra for transmit capability.

--
-=Elden=-
http://www.moondog.org
Old June 25th 05, 04:05 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Elden Fenison wrote:

* Telamon [06/24/2005 06:00 UTC]:
Try a SW radio distributor such as Universal
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0360.html I'm pretty
sure they have them in stock.

A small hand held wide band radio does not sound like a good bet.

Thanks for the reply Telamon. I just visited the local HRO today and by
golly they got some of the Sony ICF 7600s in. So I've purchased one of
those and an AN-LP1 antenna.

I was almost leaning to a Yaesu FT-857D... all-band, all-mode ham
transceiver with an ATAS-120 self-tuning screwdriver antenna. But that's
about $1000 total and being in an apartment, I don't think I'd really be
able to get out well enough with an indoor antenna to justify spending
that much extra for transmit capability.

Let us know how you make out with the ICF-7600 using the loop antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 25th 05, 10:40 PM
Elden Fenison

* Telamon [06/25/2005 03:05 UTC]:
Let us know how you make out with the ICF-7600 using the loop antenna.

So far it's not pretty. I've spent hours just trying to find a station I
can copy. I am in Oregon. I know that fewer broadcasts target this area,
but I did expect it to be better than this. I do think I caught some of
"Radio Netherlands" last night. That was kinda neat.

My first experiment was at nighttime. Today, during the daytime, there
is virtually nothing at all out there that I can copy.

One thing I wanted to do, was copy activity on the ham bands. Today
being field day, you'd think there'd be a lot to listen to. But I'm
afraid I'm not having much luck. Color me dissappointed.

--
-=Elden=-
http://www.moondog.org

Old June 26th 05, 12:36 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Elden Fenison wrote:

* Telamon [06/25/2005 03:05 UTC]:
Let us know how you make out with the ICF-7600 using the loop antenna.

So far it's not pretty. I've spent hours just trying to find a station I
can copy. I am in Oregon. I know that fewer broadcasts target this area,
but I did expect it to be better than this. I do think I caught some of
"Radio Netherlands" last night. That was kinda neat.

My first experiment was at nighttime. Today, during the daytime, there
is virtually nothing at all out there that I can copy.

One thing I wanted to do, was copy activity on the ham bands. Today
being field day, you'd think there'd be a lot to listen to. But I'm
afraid I'm not having much luck. Color me dissappointed.

The west coast has weaker signals then the rest of the country but there
are some that should come in better for us west coast people. New
Zealand is good on 15,720 late afternoon until 8:00 PM in the evening
then they start getting weaker until they switch over to 11,820 around
10:00 PM. 11,820 is almost always good as is 9,885 that they switch to
around midnight.

Australia is another good catch, I'm listening to them right now on
21,740. At 00:00 UTC they will go to 17,715 and 17,795. These should
work well for you. Then they will switch to 15,515 at I think 02:00UTC.

You should get the BBC really well on 5,975 evenings and radio
Netherlands broadcasts should come in well. Daytime 19:00 to 20:00 UTC
try 17,660 and 17,735 and 15,315.

Evenings radio Netherlands is on for one hour at 04:00 UTC on 6,165 and
9,590. Both of these should be strong signal for you.

Maybe you are in a bad spot in your apartment. Try the loop antenna near
a window. It is directional on the lower bands so rotate it to find a
null on the signal and then turn it 90 degrees from that.

RHC Cuba is another big signal on many frequencies and so is RCI radio
Canada international. Another is China.

All these stations have web sites with their schedules. Go check them
out. You might want to try the radio in the park to see if you do better.

Late afternoon until near sunrise you should get a ton of strong signals
on the 6 and 9 MHz bands.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 26th 05, 08:19 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Elden Fenison wrote:

* Telamon [06/25/2005 03:05 UTC]:
Let us know how you make out with the ICF-7600 using the loop antenna.

So far it's not pretty. I've spent hours just trying to find a station I
can copy. I am in Oregon. I know that fewer broadcasts target this area,
but I did expect it to be better than this. I do think I caught some of
"Radio Netherlands" last night. That was kinda neat.

My first experiment was at nighttime. Today, during the daytime, there
is virtually nothing at all out there that I can copy.

Yea, welcome to daytime shortwave in the Pacific Northwest. I'm reading
this at Noon (19:00 UTC) and thought I'd do a band scan. A couple of
Spanish language stations, and a bunch of "Chinese Opera" music jammers
from the PRC. There's Radio Netherlands (out of eastern Canada and
the Caribbean) on the frequencies that Telemon gives below, but
that's about it.

One thing I wanted to do, was copy activity on the ham bands. Today
being field day, you'd think there'd be a lot to listen to. But I'm
afraid I'm not having much luck. Color me dissappointed.

The west coast has weaker signals then the rest of the country but there
are some that should come in better for us west coast people. New
Zealand is good on 15,720 late afternoon until 8:00 PM in the evening
then they start getting weaker until they switch over to 11,820 around
10:00 PM. 11,820 is almost always good as is 9,885 that they switch to
around midnight.

Australia is another good catch, I'm listening to them right now on
21,740. At 00:00 UTC they will go to 17,715 and 17,795. These should
work well for you. Then they will switch to 15,515 at I think 02:00UTC.

17795 starts at 23:00, ie 4 PM.

You should get the BBC really well on 5,975 evenings and radio
Netherlands broadcasts should come in well.

BBC on 5975 is only coming in well on the 8 PM (3:00 UTC) hour, here.
in Seattle. If you stay up late enough, 15360 starting at 10 PM (5:00
UTC) gets stronger as the night goes on. And then sometime early
in the morning switches to 9740, which comes in well until 9 AM PDT.
For Radio Netherlands, try 9845 at 5 PM PDT, often a bit weaker at 6 PM
on the same frequency.

Daytime 19:00 to 20:00 UTC
try 17,660 and 17,735 and 15,315.

Evenings radio Netherlands is on for one hour at 04:00 UTC on 6,165 and
9,590. Both of these should be strong signal for you.

6165 is often my strongest available signal at that time. IF the Vancouver,
BC CBC-1 station on 6160 hasn't gone off the air yet, there's a bit of
interference.

RHC Cuba is another big signal on many frequencies and so is RCI radio
Canada international. Another is China.

I never have much luck with RCI, I think they're aimed as So. Cal. or
something. Radio Havana, try 9550, 6000, and I think 6060.

All these stations have web sites with their schedules. Go check them
out. You might want to try the radio in the park to see if you do better.

Late afternoon until near sunrise you should get a ton of strong signals
on the 6 and 9 MHz bands.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old June 28th 05, 05:18 AM
Telamon

In article ,
(Mark Zenier) wrote:

In article
,
Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Elden Fenison wrote:

* Telamon [06/25/2005 03:05 UTC]:
[...]

Here is a list I usually listen to during the week or weekends and he
should go to their web sites and check out their schedules.

Canada
North and South Korea
Japan
China
India
Taiwan
Thailand
Australia
New Zealand
Radio Netherlands
Cuba
BBC

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 28th 05, 06:40 AM
Elden Fenison

* Telamon [06/25/2005 23:36 UTC]:

[much good info snipped]

All these stations have web sites with their schedules. Go check them
out. You might want to try the radio in the park to see if you do
better.

Cool! Thanks for all the great info. I've saved a copy of your post and
will be referring to it some evening soon and see what I can hear.

I recently bought a copy of the magazine "Monitoring Times". Although I
have a copy of the book "Passport to Worldband Radio", my favorite HRO
salesguy insisted that up-to-date info like what can be found in a
monthly magazine is much more useful.

I did read some of the reviews in Passport to Worldband Radio. They seem
to think very highly of the equipment I've chosen, at least on the
modest budget side of the scale. So that's very encouraging.

--
-=Elden=-
http://www.moondog.org
Old June 28th 05, 06:40 AM
Elden Fenison

* Mark Zenier [06/26/2005 19:19 UTC]:
Yea, welcome to daytime shortwave in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks for that confirmation. I'm glad to know it's not just me.

BBC on 5975 is only coming in well on the 8 PM (3:00 UTC) hour, here.
in Seattle. If you stay up late enough, 15360 starting at 10 PM (5:00
UTC) gets stronger as the night goes on. And then sometime early in
the morning switches to 9740, which comes in well until 9 AM PDT. For
Radio Netherlands, try 9845 at 5 PM PDT, often a bit weaker at 6 PM on
the same frequency.

Thanks for the info Mark. I've saved your post as well. I will be trying
these soon.

--
-=Elden=-
http://www.moondog.org