Old June 28th 05, 07:07 PM
Mike Terry

Default VT Group BBC World Service transmission contract to continue

VT Group BBC World Service transmission contract to continue
VT Group, through its VT Communications subsidiary, has reached agreement to
continue distributing and transmitting BBC World Service radio programming
for a further five years. This is valued at approximately £150 million. The
initial contract was originally let to Merlin Communications upon
privatisation in 1997. VT Group acquired Merlin in 2001, creating the VT
Communications Division.

BBC World Service radio programmes are transmitted through 10 transmission
sites in the UK and throughout the world, which are operated and maintained
by VT Communications. The service is transmitted in 43 languages to around
150 million weekly listeners throughout the world with the English and
Arabic services broadcast 24 hours a day.

VT Group Chief Executive Paul Lester commented: "The continuance of the
contract will underpin our communications business for several years to come
and reflects the high standards of service provided since privatisation. In
addition, we are excited to be supporting the World Service as it faces a
period of unprecedented technological change, through its increasing move
into the digital era."

Nigel Chapman, Director at BBC World Service, said: "Our relationship has
continued to develop very positively since the acquisition of Merlin by VT.
We face an exciting but challenging future and we are delighted to be
working with VT Communications as our partner."

(Media Network weblog)

[Moderator: The press release doesn't make it clear, but while VT
Communications owns and operates the UK shortwave sites, the overseas sites
such as Cyprus, Thailand, Ascension etc are still owned by the BBC or UK
government and only operated by VT under contract. dk]

(BDXC-UK)

Your Sing, Africa, ReSpirit the World David Shortwave 5 December 13th 04 06:33 PM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
John Peel - final BBC World Service will be broadcast next week Mike Terry Shortwave 0 November 13th 04 07:48 AM
BBC World Service Shortwave Frequency Charts? Fred Finisterre Shortwave 1 February 19th 04 06:52 PM
A new frequency for BBC World Service SylvainPercebois Shortwave 1 December 25th 03 01:47 PM