Old July 3rd 05, 11:57 AM
jkn

Default Receiving BBC Sport in France - useable on SW?

Hi all
my brother lives in France these days (the Vercors region - in the
mountains near Grenoble) and misses his UK sport. He can get some of it
via the Internet but this isn't quite the same as 'live'. I wondered if
there was enough broadcast (eg via the BBC) on Shortwave, and if so
what class (eg cost) of SW radio might be required for decent reception
in his area. He is not very technical and so is seeking help from me. I
am reasonably technical - even have a class 'A' transmitting licence
from a few lifetimes ago - but I'm well out of touch with what's
available and hope to learn more from being around here.

Any comments received with thanks

Thanks
Jon N

Old July 3rd 05, 12:30 PM
Simon Mason

"jkn" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all
my brother lives in France these days (the Vercors region - in the
mountains near Grenoble) and misses his UK sport. He can get some of it
via the Internet but this isn't quite the same as 'live'. I wondered if
there was enough broadcast (eg via the BBC) on Shortwave, and if so
what class (eg cost) of SW radio might be required for decent reception
in his area. He is not very technical and so is seeking help from me. I
am reasonably technical - even have a class 'A' transmitting licence
from a few lifetimes ago - but I'm well out of touch with what's
available and hope to learn more from being around here.

Any good SW receiver such as the Sony 7600 will do, but he will get better
reception on satellite or a WorldSpace receiver: http://www.worldspace.com/

See http://qurl.net/ho for reception options in Grenoble. WorldSpace
receivers need a small subscription, but the receivers are quite cheap now.
--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old July 3rd 05, 12:47 PM
Joel Rubin

On 3 Jul 2005 03:57:52 -0700, "jkn" wrote:

Hi all
my brother lives in France these days (the Vercors region - in the
mountains near Grenoble) and misses his UK sport. He can get some of it
via the Internet but this isn't quite the same as 'live'. I wondered if
there was enough broadcast (eg via the BBC) on Shortwave, and if so
what class (eg cost) of SW radio might be required for decent reception
in his area. He is not very technical and so is seeking help from me. I
am reasonably technical - even have a class 'A' transmitting licence
from a few lifetimes ago - but I'm well out of touch with what's
available and hope to learn more from being around here.

According to their web page, ( http://www;.bbc.co.uk/radio5 )Radio 5,
which I believe handles most of the sports output of the BBC,
broadcasts on 909 kHz and 693 kHz medium wave. So a good long distance
medium wave radio should do the trick. Is something like the GE
Superradio made in France?

I believe the company which has the right to put out consumer
electronics here in the U.S. under the GE and RCA brands is Thomson of
France.

Old July 3rd 05, 01:06 PM
Simon Mason

"Joel Rubin" wrote in message
nk.net...

According to their web page, ( http://www;.bbc.co.uk/radio5 )Radio 5,
which I believe handles most of the sports output of the BBC,
broadcasts on 909 kHz and 693 kHz medium wave. So a good long distance
medium wave radio should do the trick.

I've travelled around Europe a lot and reception of R5 Live in the French
Alps is only really possible at night. During the day, the ground wave
signal starts to get very weak as you travel further away from the English
Channel. The Brookmans Park 693 kHz signal is the one to try. If he's a
cricket fan, then BBC Radio 4's LW transmission on 198 kHz just might reach.