Old July 22nd 05, 04:19 PM
Alan Dye

This is probably nothing, but I noticed that Universal has deleted the
message that once used to be on its R-75 ad, stating that the R-75 is
discontinued. I then went to the Icom America website, and noticed that
the R-75 is there, even though I seem to recall its having been removed
at one point.

Is there more to this than I think?

Steve

I was in ham radio outlet in Sunnyvale, CA yesterday and asked about
this particular issue as there are not many SWL receivers now in the
~$500 range. I was told that they had talked to Icom about it (They
move a LOT of Icom out of this HRO location, very friendly with them.)
and that Icom had to discontinue it because one of the key component
suppliers went out of business and there weren't alternatives for that
component. They said they had spoken to Icom and that they were working
on redesigning the R75 into a new radio without the component. If this
is in fact true, they'll likely release it as a new radio. (Anyone for
an IC-R85?)

Icom, if you're reading this, please fix the SSB on the new one, and
keep all the stuff about the R75 we all love. Oh, and it would be
really nice if you continue to include the DSP option, in fact, just put
it in as standard at the factory. Widen out the AM just a tad to
improve program listening for those of us who don't always want to chase
utility, improve the speaker just a bit too. Oh, and try to keep the
~$500 price point, I think that is the sweet spot for tabletop units.
Should produce enough sales volume for you to own this segment of the
tabletop market. I'd even pay ~$600 for all the improvements.

p.s. a nice option would be a daughter board like the JRC-545 for a few
hundred dollars that allows me to expand it into a wide-coverage
receiver. That way you won't have to put out a replacement for the 8500...
Old July 22nd 05, 04:26 PM
John Smith

People can purchase a whole computer, including monitor and keyboard
for less than darn glorified radio...

.... obliviously, this is not working like it used to...

Buy a cheap degen, put up a good antenna and you are in business...
$500+ dollars more just for a bit of signal improvement is obviously
not worth it, only the brain dead still pursue that route...

John

"Alan Dye" wrote in message
news

Old July 22nd 05, 05:56 PM
Lucky

"John Smith" wrote in message
People can purchase a whole computer, including monitor and keyboard for
less than darn glorified radio...

... obliviously, this is not working like it used to...

Buy a cheap degen, put up a good antenna and you are in business...
$500+ dollars more just for a bit of signal improvement is obviously not
worth it, only the brain dead still pursue that route...

John

"Alan Dye" wrote in message
news
wrote:
[...]

I don't think that is fair or nice statement.
While I like my DE 1103 a lot, I sure as hell can't DX on it like I can on
my R75.
And I'm insulted you group people in this hobby as "brain dead" cause they
want a better quality receiver.

You cannot compare the Degen to the Icom R75 with even the best of antennas.
Yes you'll pick up many of the signals but that's it. Not very enjoyable
listening for SSB but for outdoor use it suffices.

Lucky

Old July 22nd 05, 06:01 PM
John Smith

Yanno...

I have a Corvette, a buick and a harley--all of 'em will get me to the
store and back, the cars work better when it is raining...

I look kewl'er on the harley when at the bar chatting up the girls...
grin

John

"Lucky" wrote in message

"John Smith" wrote in message
People can purchase a whole computer, including monitor and
keyboard for less than darn glorified radio...

... obliviously, this is not working like it used to...

Buy a cheap degen, put up a good antenna and you are in business...
$500+ dollars more just for a bit of signal improvement is
obviously not worth it, only the brain dead still pursue that
route...

John

"Alan Dye" wrote in message
news

Old July 22nd 05, 06:09 PM
John Smith

In fact, why bother with any of this ancient junk being sold at too
high a price...

Here is 9Khz to 180Mhz for anyone with a computer, I got mine off ebay
for $200, but suddenly don't see 'em there any more, guess the idgits
that wanna pay too much have already chased the price up quite a bit!
http://www.thiecom.de/english/g313i/

All you need is a computer with pci slots and you have a real
state-of-the-art receiver...

John

"Lucky" wrote in message

"John Smith" wrote in message
People can purchase a whole computer, including monitor and
keyboard for less than darn glorified radio...

... obliviously, this is not working like it used to...

Buy a cheap degen, put up a good antenna and you are in business...
$500+ dollars more just for a bit of signal improvement is
obviously not worth it, only the brain dead still pursue that
route...

John

"Alan Dye" wrote in message
news
wrote:
[...]

PETE [KE9OA] 'status report' on the AM/MW Receiver Project Pete KE9OA Shortwave 2 February 24th 05 08:45 AM
RHF Displays His Card-Carrying Member Status in the Rat-Fink Society bpnjensen Shortwave 0 November 16th 04 04:54 PM
GCN Status? Ernie Shortwave 0 November 7th 04 11:17 PM
Restoring the status quo of Ham Radio Airy R. Bean Homebrew 62 March 22nd 04 07:05 AM
Status of Shortwave. Vijay Shortwave 47 January 2nd 04 03:17 PM