Old July 13th 05, 04:12 AM
Michael

wrote in message
ups.com...

Michael wrote:

Other then a few computer controlled alternatives, there are no other
choices other then the R-75. That's the larger point.

Michael

Well, there's the Palstar R30C and R30CC:

http://www.rffun.com/catalog/commrxvr/0330.html

Steve

Under $ 1,000 but still more then the R-75. I think they sell for about $
650.00. I looked into this radio not too long ago. Obviously, there is a
lack of interface features. Worse then that, ECSS tuning for DX'ing could
be a bit problematic due to it's 20 Hz minumum tuning incraments. That will
absolutely NOT due. Not even for $300.00 brand new. I'd take the R-75
over this ANY day of the week even if the Palstar wasn't more expensive.

Michael

Old July 13th 05, 05:00 AM
mike maghakian

this is not a troll this is FACT

what it takes you half an hour to do with an R75, I can do in 5 seconds with
a satellit 800, and it would probably still be better. I have owned several
R75's with different configurations so I KNOW what I am talking about. and
the fixed SYNC on the 75 is still pathetic compared to the 800. FACT

NOW I DID SAY SWBC, the 800 is a bit handicapped for code/RTTY etc where
really tight selectivity is needed.

but for AM mode, the 800 is unbeatable, this is FACT

"Michael" wrote in message

"mike maghakian" wrote in message
For the category of SWBC listening and DXing, the satellit 800 is a far
superior product, really there is no comparison

1) better sound
2) better selectivity in the stock versions
3) FAR better sync detector, even if it is a fixed version !

Your saying the Sat 800 is a better radio then the R-75 for DX'ing ???

"Medication time"

Michael

Old July 13th 05, 05:00 AM
mike maghakian

maybe because it is fact and not troll......

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message
ink.net...
You can't recognize a TROLL when you see one?

Old July 13th 05, 05:10 AM
Jim Hackett

I have no idea why I'm involving myself in this petty bickering. But this
is the ONLY comment I will make:
I own BOTH and I disagree BUT I'm NOT gonna argue with ANYONE. Believe what
you want. I already stated what I believe...

Old July 13th 05, 05:15 AM
craigm

Michael wrote:
"craigm" wrote in message

Michael wrote:

"Eric F. Richards" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote:

I find that there isn't anything that I can hear with
the R-75 that I can hear with more expensive radios.

That's true. Images, birdies, artifacts, intermodulation products --
it's all there.

The R-75 is dumpster fodder. Value? yep. Value for money? yep.
Absolutely a good value? Not even close.

You need to experience a truly good radio. See
http://www.sherweng.com for some guidelines.

Let me get this straight..... "Dumpster Fodder ???" Your getting

carried
away....

Recommend a better radio that will have a PRACTICAL improvement over an
R-75 without spending over $ 1,000.00 Please dont spit out specs that
hardly differ from that of the R-75 and are not statistically

significant
PRACTICALLY speaking.

Tell me what radio NEW out of the box will give me a PRACTICAL
improvement on my R-75 for under $1,000.00 and I'll buy it this week.
Remember, this is for DX'ing. I dont want a boom box.

Michael

Can you list the radios that fall in the $500-$1000 price range the

might
be candidates for comparison? They would have to be generally available
within the US.

Other then a few computer controlled alternatives, there are no other
choices other then the R-75. That's the larger point.

Then I think posing the challenge you expressed is a poor way to make a
point. There are radios, in my opinion, that I find to be an improvement
over the R75. Specifically, the IC-746Pro and g313i. However, they fall
outside your dollar range. At any specific price point the number of
radios to choose from is limited. The nature of the challenge you put
forth guaranteed there would be no way to meet it to your satisfaction.

The radios in the list I'm asking for don't have to meet your "PRACTICAL
improvement" criteria.

What does "statistically significant PRACTICALLY speaking" mean?

craigm

Meaning exactly as stated. Here is an example:

The Drake R-8 was tested to have a sensitivity of 0.25 and 0.18 with

the pre
amp on.

The R-75 was tested to have a sensitivy of 0.5 and .02 with the

first level
pre amp on

The Kenwood R-5000 was tested to have a sensitivity of .02

The NRD-525 was tested to have a sensitivity of .02

OK, what do you say ????

Only one of those is possibly in current production.

You can see what receiver gets the better test
numbers here.

All those that are out of production. You selected the list for
comparison, so, from that list I see the R75 had the poorest number. Is
that your point?

Think it matters PRACTICALLY speaking given what typical
noise floors are ???

That's a limitation on the user's antenna and location and not the
radio. For some, the difference is significant.

Would you feel it was worth it to spend a few thousand
dollars to get that extra decimal ???

Well, you've skipped over the $1000 to $2000 range which covers several
radios. Also, that extra cost goes into more than just improving one
number. That makes your question pointless.

This applies equally to other values.

Do you understand my point yet ????

Yes, for you the R75 appears to work well. Others have found they prefer
other radios for a variety of reasons. If you've found a radio that
you like, listen to it. If others find that the radio you like doesn't
work well for them live with that fact. Neither person is necessarily
right or wrong, they have each found what works for them.

Michael

Hey, at least the thread is on topic for the group.

craigm

Old July 13th 05, 10:51 AM
RHF

DPM,
Old July 13th 05, 02:42 PM
Eric F. Richards

"Michael" wrote:

I find that there isn't anything that I can hear with
the R-75 that I can hear with more expensive radios.

That's true. Images, birdies, artifacts, intermodulation products --
it's all there.

The R-75 is dumpster fodder. Value? yep. Value for money? yep.
Absolutely a good value? Not even close.

You need to experience a truly good radio. See
http://www.sherweng.com for some guidelines.

I personally think you made a fool out of yourself with your drivel and
that's about it.

Lucky

You can believe that all you want. I owned an R75 for years. When I
was selling it at a hamfest, Bob Sherwood came by and I offered it to
him, and he just laughed.

I'll say it again: It *is* value for the money, but it is *not* an
absolute value.

For me, the issue that is important is front-end overload. There are
several flamethrowers that put millivolts worth of signal on my
antennas. I don't have problems with close-in dynamic range... no one
should really have problems with sensitivity on HF.

The R75 was nothing but images below 10 MHz without both preamps off
and the attenuator on.

--
Eric F. Richards

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,
often attributed to J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940
Old July 13th 05, 02:42 PM
Eric F. Richards

"Michael" wrote:

I find that there isn't anything that I can hear with
the R-75 that I can hear with more expensive radios.

That's true. Images, birdies, artifacts, intermodulation products --
it's all there.

The R-75 is dumpster fodder. Value? yep. Value for money? yep.
Absolutely a good value? Not even close.

You need to experience a truly good radio. See
http://www.sherweng.com for some guidelines.

Let me get this straight..... "Dumpster Fodder ???" Your getting carried
away....

Recommend a better radio that will have a PRACTICAL improvement over an R-75
without spending over $ 1,000.00 Please dont spit out specs that hardly
differ from that of the R-75 and are not statistically significant
PRACTICALLY speaking.

Again, I said that it is good value for the money. I know -- I had
one for quite a long time.

Tell me what radio NEW out of the box will give me a PRACTICAL improvement
on my R-75 for under $1,000.00 and I'll buy it this week. Remember, this is
for DX'ing. I dont want a boom box.

I use the R8500. It has a front-end like a tank. "Specs?" The
'8500s close-in dynamic range is abysmal. Yet I've found it to be an
amazingly useful radio. The '75 just couldn't pull anything out of
all the crap internally generated below 10 MHz here, because my
antennas happen to be in the way of the local flame-throwers.

Michael

--
Eric F. Richards

"This book reads like a headache on paper."
http://www.cnn.com/2001/CAREER/readi...one/index.html
Old July 13th 05, 02:42 PM
Eric F. Richards

"Michael" wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. Statistically significant here means nothing. "Significant?"
Well, he doesn't know, but I'll take a shot at it...

Sensitivity is overrated.

Dynamic range is important.

Ultimate rejection is underrated, unfortunately, and is the most
important figure for my situation. It is also where the R75 falls
short.

Right now, there aren't any radios to discuss because the tabletop
market has been swept clean.

--
Eric F. Richards

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most
experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in;
we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
- Nathaniel S. Borenstein
Old July 13th 05, 02:42 PM
Eric F. Richards

"Michael" wrote:

"mike maghakian" wrote in message
For the category of SWBC listening and DXing, the satellit 800 is a far
superior product, really there is no comparison

1) better sound
2) better selectivity in the stock versions
3) FAR better sync detector, even if it is a fixed version !

Your saying the Sat 800 is a better radio then the R-75 for DX'ing ???

"Medication time"

Michael

No crazier than saying the R75 is the ultimate radio without having
exercised some other options.

Had Drake been manufacturing the Sat 800, er, SW-8, still, it would be
a respectible radio, still.

--
Eric F. Richards

"Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product."
-Ferenc Mantfeld

PETE [KE9OA] 'status report' on the AM/MW Receiver Project Pete KE9OA Shortwave 2 February 24th 05 08:45 AM
RHF Displays His Card-Carrying Member Status in the Rat-Fink Society bpnjensen Shortwave 0 November 16th 04 04:54 PM
GCN Status? Ernie Shortwave 0 November 7th 04 11:17 PM
Restoring the status quo of Ham Radio Airy R. Bean Homebrew 62 March 22nd 04 07:05 AM
Status of Shortwave. Vijay Shortwave 47 January 2nd 04 03:17 PM