Old July 13th 05, 02:42 PM
Eric F. Richards

David wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:08:37 -0400, "Michael"
wrote:

"mike maghakian" wrote in message
For the category of SWBC listening and DXing, the satellit 800 is a far
superior product, really there is no comparison

1) better sound
2) better selectivity in the stock versions
3) FAR better sync detector, even if it is a fixed version !

Your saying the Sat 800 is a better radio then the R-75 for DX'ing ???

"Medication time"

Michael

''Listener fatigue'' is a factor in some kinds of DXing.

This is the first thing I have EVER seen you post that is both
relevent and accurate. Thank you. Please, keep it up. This may be a
flame-fest, but it's on topic.

--
Eric F. Richards

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,
often attributed to J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940
Old July 13th 05, 03:33 PM
Jeff

"Eric F. Richards" wrote in message

I'll say it again: It *is* value for the money, but it is *not* an
absolute value.

For me, the issue that is important is front-end overload. There are
several flamethrowers that put millivolts worth of signal on my
antennas. I don't have problems with close-in dynamic range... no one
should really have problems with sensitivity on HF.

The R75 was nothing but images below 10 MHz without both preamps off
and the attenuator on.

Hmmm,,,, thats odd as I have a combo AM - FM radio station almost
literally in my back yard. The stations antennas are maybe 750-800'
from my antenna and I have never had any image problems at all. I'm sure
there is a birdie or 2 somewhere throughout the bands but I have never
noticed any of those either. I listen to ute's and amateur 99% of the time
and find the R 75 does very well for this. ( I do use a seperate speaker
as the internal one sucks) but that is my biggest complaint.

Jeff

Old July 13th 05, 06:42 PM
Michael Lawson

Honestly, I don't have an IC-R75 to compare with my
Sat 800, but if I were going for purely DX machine,
I'd seriously look into an R-5000, R8/R8A/R8B or
an NRD-525/NRD-535. Nothing against the R75, but
if the sync is that bad as is believed, I'd rather go for
either a better one (Drake's) or none at all (JRC or
Kenwood).

That said, I stick with my Sat 800 for listening right
now because it's price point is pretty darn good for
what you get. That and I can't really spend any more
money on my shack right now, too.

--Mike L.

"mike maghakian" wrote in message
this is not a troll this is FACT

what it takes you half an hour to do with an R75, I can do in 5

seconds with
a satellit 800, and it would probably still be better. I have owned

several
R75's with different configurations so I KNOW what I am talking

about. and
the fixed SYNC on the 75 is still pathetic compared to the 800. FACT

NOW I DID SAY SWBC, the 800 is a bit handicapped for code/RTTY etc

where
really tight selectivity is needed.

but for AM mode, the 800 is unbeatable, this is FACT

"Michael" wrote in message

"mike maghakian" wrote in message
For the category of SWBC listening and DXing, the satellit 800 is

a far
superior product, really there is no comparison

1) better sound
2) better selectivity in the stock versions
3) FAR better sync detector, even if it is a fixed version !

Your saying the Sat 800 is a better radio then the R-75 for DX'ing

???

"Medication time"

Michael

Old July 13th 05, 07:03 PM
D Peter Maus

Michael Lawson wrote:
Honestly, I don't have an IC-R75 to compare with my
Sat 800, but if I were going for purely DX machine,
I'd seriously look into an R-5000, R8/R8A/R8B or
an NRD-525/NRD-535. Nothing against the R75, but
if the sync is that bad as is believed, I'd rather go for
either a better one (Drake's) or none at all (JRC or
Kenwood).

The sync on R-75 works. And works quite well, when it's applied
according to directions. It is, however more than a bit fiddly. And
most users have neither the patience, nor the inclination to apply
it according to instructions.

I had no problems with the sync in the R-75's I've used. But it
was more work to get them to do what I expected than other designs.

Not everything is going to be a Drake design. Still, this one is
less than as user friendly as current technology permits.

Old July 13th 05, 09:52 PM
Michael Lawson

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
Michael Lawson wrote:
Honestly, I don't have an IC-R75 to compare with my
Sat 800, but if I were going for purely DX machine,
I'd seriously look into an R-5000, R8/R8A/R8B or
an NRD-525/NRD-535. Nothing against the R75, but
if the sync is that bad as is believed, I'd rather go for
either a better one (Drake's) or none at all (JRC or
Kenwood).

The sync on R-75 works. And works quite well, when it's applied
according to directions. It is, however more than a bit fiddly. And
most users have neither the patience, nor the inclination to apply
it according to instructions.

I had no problems with the sync in the R-75's I've used. But it
was more work to get them to do what I expected than other designs.

I take it that it's a bit more than simply push the button,
then?? What has to be done to make the sync work, Peter??

Not everything is going to be a Drake design. Still, this one is
less than as user friendly as current technology permits.

I'm just disappointed that Sony has never followed
up on their own sync with a model geared more toward
serious DXing than the 2010. The 2010 was a trendsetter,
but it was also the high water mark of Sony SW portables,
too.

--Mike L.

Old July 13th 05, 10:13 PM
D Peter Maus

Michael Lawson wrote:

Honestly, I don't have an IC-R75 to compare with my
Sat 800, but if I were going for purely DX machine,
I'd seriously look into an R-5000, R8/R8A/R8B or
an NRD-525/NRD-535. Nothing against the R75, but
if the sync is that bad as is believed, I'd rather go for
either a better one (Drake's) or none at all (JRC or
Kenwood).

The sync on R-75 works. And works quite well, when it's applied
according to directions. It is, however more than a bit fiddly. And
most users have neither the patience, nor the inclination to apply
it according to instructions.

I had no problems with the sync in the R-75's I've used. But it
was more work to get them to do what I expected than other designs.

I take it that it's a bit more than simply push the button,
then?? What has to be done to make the sync work, Peter??

Yes, it's more than simply pushing a button. It's been a number
of years since I've used one, but as I recall, there were some gain
adjustments, and filter selections. Once dialed in, sync worked fine.

There are some specific parameters that need to be addressed when
using sync on RX-350, too. But if you're attentive to the details,
it, too, works as promised. The best sync I've used to date is on
AR-7030+. Dials itself in and stays locked through the deepest
fades. Second is sync on HF-150.

I have a Drake. SW-2. Sync is fine, but more prone to losing lock
than the AOR.

For the record, I'm not as passionate about synchronous detection
as some here. It's a tool, nothing more. It doesn't cure cancer,
ingrown toenails, or receding hairlines. And it's not worth starting
a religion over. It's a tool for reception of radio signals. AM
Stereo uses it, too. In fact, that's where the Drake sync detector
came from.

I use it rarely. Mostly I rely on a good set of filters, a
comprehensive ground, and an antenna that can suck the pubic hairs
from between your teeth.

Nothing replaces good basics.

Old July 14th 05, 02:42 AM
Howard

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:13:56 GMT, D Peter Maus
wrote:

snip
Yes, it's more than simply pushing a button. It's been a number
of years since I've used one, but as I recall, there were some gain
adjustments, and filter selections. Once dialed in, sync worked fine.

What I've found that helps is to reduce the RF gain and to set the
AGC to fast and often going to the wider filters helps.

There are some specific parameters that need to be addressed when
using sync on RX-350, too. But if you're attentive to the details,
it, too, works as promised. The best sync I've used to date is on
AR-7030+. Dials itself in and stays locked through the deepest
fades. Second is sync on HF-150.

I have a Drake. SW-2. Sync is fine, but more prone to losing lock
than the AOR.

For the record, I'm not as passionate about synchronous detection
as some here. It's a tool, nothing more. It doesn't cure cancer,
ingrown toenails, or receding hairlines. And it's not worth starting
a religion over. It's a tool for reception of radio signals. AM
Stereo uses it, too. In fact, that's where the Drake sync detector
came from.

Well I beg to differ, since acquiring a Sony 7600 and later the R75 -
both with sync detection - I've not had a single ingrown toenail !!
Unfortunately I bought them after the hairline receded.

I use it rarely. Mostly I rely on a good set of filters, a
comprehensive ground, and an antenna that can suck the pubic hairs
from between your teeth.

Nothing replaces good basics.

Agreed! I seldom use synch either - perhaps if I had a radio with
the famed Sherwood synch detector or a Drake I would find it more
useful. In any case, yes it is just another tool. It reminds me of
the saying "if your only tool is a hammer - all of your problems look
like nails." There are more tools than synch and it pays to gain
familiarity with what they do and when to apply them.

As to R-75 status - I think they're still around due to the existing
stock supply not because of Icom deciding to continue production.
That opinion, and $2.00 US will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Howard

Old July 14th 05, 04:16 AM
Eric F. Richards

"Michael Lawson" wrote:

Honestly, I don't have an IC-R75 to compare with my
Sat 800, but if I were going for purely DX machine,
I'd seriously look into an R-5000, R8/R8A/R8B or
an NRD-525/NRD-535. Nothing against the R75, but
if the sync is that bad as is believed, I'd rather go for
either a better one (Drake's) or none at all (JRC or
Kenwood).

That said, I stick with my Sat 800 for listening right
now because it's price point is pretty darn good for
what you get. That and I can't really spend any more
money on my shack right now, too.

Well, I can't argue with the money issue. Fortunately, all the radios
I use now are *very* listenable -- the R8500 is very un-ICOM-like in
that regard, and a good ear for music is a nuisance when dealing with
a DSP that introduces monkey chatter. (The R75's doesn't, but the
'545 is supposed to have monkey chatter problems and the Timewave
external is downright painful if given a signal with audio above 3
kHz.)

Current radios I have are R8500x2, WR G303i, Ten-Tex RX340, Collins
R392.

Past radios have been R75, FRG-100, FRG-7, HF-150.

--Mike L.

"Michael" wrote in message

"mike maghakian" wrote in message
For the category of SWBC listening and DXing, the satellit 800 is

a far
superior product, really there is no comparison

1) better sound
2) better selectivity in the stock versions
3) FAR better sync detector, even if it is a fixed version !

Your saying the Sat 800 is a better radio then the R-75 for DX'ing

???

"Medication time"

Michael

--
Eric F. Richards

"The weird part is that I can feel productive even when I'm doomed."
- Dilbert
Old July 14th 05, 04:18 AM
Eric F. Richards

D Peter Maus wrote:

For the record, I'm not as passionate about synchronous detection
as some here. It's a tool, nothing more.

It is how I feel as well.

It doesn't cure cancer,

No problem...

ingrown toenails,

No problem...

or receding hairlines.

....rats.

I use it rarely. Mostly I rely on a good set of filters, a
comprehensive ground, and an antenna that can suck the pubic hairs
from between your teeth.

Nothing replaces good basics.

Amen. I agree with that last sentence wholeheartedly.

Old July 14th 05, 04:22 PM
Lucky

"Lucky" wrote:

"Eric F. Richards" wrote in message
"Michael" wrote:

I find that there isn't anything that I can hear with
the R-75 that I can hear with more expensive radios.

That's true. Images, birdies, artifacts, intermodulation products --
it's all there.

The R-75 is dumpster fodder. Value? yep. Value for money? yep.
Absolutely a good value? Not even close.

You need to experience a truly good radio. See
http://www.sherweng.com for some guidelines.

I personally think you made a fool out of yourself with your drivel and
that's about it.

Lucky

You can believe that all you want. I owned an R75 for years. When I
was selling it at a hamfest, Bob Sherwood came by and I offered it to
him, and he just laughed.

I'll say it again: It *is* value for the money, but it is *not* an
absolute value.

For me, the issue that is important is front-end overload. There are
several flamethrowers that put millivolts worth of signal on my
antennas. I don't have problems with close-in dynamic range... no one
should really have problems with sensitivity on HF.

The R75 was nothing but images below 10 MHz without both preamps off
and the attenuator on.

--
Eric F. Richards

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,
often attributed to J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940

Hi

I have about 10 radios. For $425, the R75 is my best rig. I have no problem
with images here in Miami. There are many Hams down here and lots of the
time the bands are terrible. But, with my R75, I can clean the signal up
very well and enjoy the conversations. I can't do this with my other rigs.
Here they. They are not all very good but I started out as a novice.

1] Kenwood 5000
2] Lowe HF-150
3] JVC NRD 525
4] Yaesu FRG-7
5] TenTec 320-D for DRM
6] Yaesu FRG-7700
7] Nasa Target HF3
8] Kenwood QR-666 {really the R300}
9] Degen 1103
10] Icom R75

I would say the next best rig is the HF-150 then the 5000 and 525 are about
equal with the 525 giving you a few more options. If I mean business I use
the R75. All I know is that I bought a brand NEW radio with **DSP and **dual
PBT plus easy computer control for $425. Just being able to mix and match
filters is superb. The built in 2 level pre-amp works great.

How in the freaken world can you argue this point? How? Point me to a decent
receiver for $425. Please, show me so I can buy it.

Lucky

PETE [KE9OA] 'status report' on the AM/MW Receiver Project Pete KE9OA Shortwave 2 February 24th 05 08:45 AM
RHF Displays His Card-Carrying Member Status in the Rat-Fink Society bpnjensen Shortwave 0 November 16th 04 04:54 PM
GCN Status? Ernie Shortwave 0 November 7th 04 11:17 PM
Restoring the status quo of Ham Radio Airy R. Bean Homebrew 62 March 22nd 04 07:05 AM
Status of Shortwave. Vijay Shortwave 47 January 2nd 04 03:17 PM