RadioBanter

-   -   *** SHORTWAVE IS DEAD WHY BOTHER????? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/74557-%2A%2A%2A-shortwave-dead-why-bother.html)

scott July 14th 05 05:34 AM

*** SHORTWAVE IS DEAD WHY BOTHER?????

diminished international broadcasts...bpl coming....why bother with sw
anymore

[email protected] July 14th 05 10:38 AM

scott wrote:
diminished international broadcasts...bpl coming....why bother with sw
anymore

Oh, I don't know. Because everything else sucks, I guess.

Steve

dxAce July 14th 05 11:59 AM

scott wrote:

diminished international broadcasts...bpl coming....why bother with sw
anymore

Then why are you still here, 'tard?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Jim Douglas July 14th 05 12:11 PM

You are right, life's not worth living, If I was you I would shoot myself!
Do it quickly!

oups.com...

KNRX July 14th 05 04:09 PM

Really, what's on shortwave these days? I am in Boston and I own a
Sony ICF-5900W which I used to listen to the BBC back in the 1980s.
Now I can get the BBC on the Internet or one of the local NPR FM
stations. I have not used it in a long while and would like to dust it
off and do something useful with it.

Frank Dresser July 14th 05 04:14 PM

"KNRX" wrote in message
oups.com...
Really, what's on shortwave these days? I am in Boston and I own a
Sony ICF-5900W which I used to listen to the BBC back in the 1980s.
Now I can get the BBC on the Internet or one of the local NPR FM
stations. I have not used it in a long while and would like to dust it
off and do something useful with it.

Domestic shortwave radio offers a wealth of conspiracy theories and end time
prophesies.

Frank Dresser

KNRX July 14th 05 04:36 PM

HA HA HAAA! You are a funny guy! I have had my surfeit of conspiracy
theories and eschatology.

[email protected] July 14th 05 04:37 PM

Various large, AM broadcasters like BBC, Radio Netherlands, Radio
Vilnius, Radio Ukraine International, etc. You could also monitor
marine communcitions, aeronautical communications, amateur radio
operators, coast guard, military, MARS nets, and so on and so on. Take
your pick!

Steve

lsmyer July 14th 05 05:43 PM

This same statement could have been used about CB radio in 1980. By then,
the 70s CB craze was dead as disco, and sunspots made local CB use
impossible. So most people left the CB world and went elsewhere.

But CB didn't go anywhere. Vacationers and truckers still depend heavily on
CB to find out about ever-changing road conditions, closings, safety
concerns, and speed traps. Even in this age of GPS and cell phones, nothing
serves the same function as good old channel 19.

And yes, we also need to know Smokey shooting radar every People who
drive cross is still there, and truckers and cross-country

David July 14th 05 06:26 PM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:43:09 -0400, "lsmyer"
wrote:

This same statement could have been used about CB radio in 1980. By then,
the 70s CB craze was dead as disco, and sunspots made local CB use
impossible. So most people left the CB world and went elsewhere.

But CB didn't go anywhere. Vacationers and truckers still depend heavily on
CB to find out about ever-changing road conditions, closings, safety
concerns, and speed traps. Even in this age of GPS and cell phones, nothing
serves the same function as good old channel 19.

That paints a rosy view of the future...

MnMikew July 14th 05 06:56 PM

wrote:

This same statement could have been used about CB radio in 1980. By then,
the 70s CB craze was dead as disco, and sunspots made local CB use
impossible. So most people left the CB world and went elsewhere.

But CB didn't go anywhere. Vacationers and truckers still depend heavily

on
CB to find out about ever-changing road conditions, closings, safety
concerns, and speed traps. Even in this age of GPS and cell phones,

nothing
serves the same function as good old channel 19.

That paints a rosy view of the future...

David is awaiting the return of disco. :-)

Michael Lawson July 14th 05 06:56 PM

wrote:

This same statement could have been used about CB radio in 1980. By

then,
the 70s CB craze was dead as disco, and sunspots made local CB use
impossible. So most people left the CB world and went elsewhere.

But CB didn't go anywhere. Vacationers and truckers still depend

heavily on
CB to find out about ever-changing road conditions, closings,

safety
concerns, and speed traps. Even in this age of GPS and cell phones,

nothing
serves the same function as good old channel 19.

That paints a rosy view of the future...

Yep, shortwave is dying. Send all your radios to me.
I'll take care of them for you....

--Mike L.

dxAce July 14th 05 07:20 PM

wrote:

This same statement could have been used about CB radio in 1980. By then,
the 70s CB craze was dead as disco, and sunspots made local CB use
impossible. So most people left the CB world and went elsewhere.

But CB didn't go anywhere. Vacationers and truckers still depend heavily

on
CB to find out about ever-changing road conditions, closings, safety
concerns, and speed traps. Even in this age of GPS and cell phones,

nothing
serves the same function as good old channel 19.

That paints a rosy view of the future...

David is awaiting the return of disco. :-)

Disco has a better chance of returning than his sanity does!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

RHF July 14th 05 09:45 PM

"I" - Echo's of : Breaker Breaker "1" "9" er ~ RHF
. . . . .

MnMikew July 14th 05 10:08 PM

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
"I" - Echo's of : Breaker Breaker "1" "9" er ~ RHF
. . . . .

Ah 10-4 there RHF, I'll be on the side, catch ya on the flip-flop for sure
there good buddy. Might have to dig my ol CB rig out again.

KA6UUP July 14th 05 10:15 PM

scott wrote:
diminished international broadcasts...bpl coming....why bother with sw
anymore

Check out the "It Seems Too Us" in the Aug 2005 QST, Motorola and
Currents new non-interfering BPL technology

Fred Garvin July 15th 05 12:28 PM

Just to **** you off...

--
Chris: "Dad, what's a blowhole for?"
Peter: "I'll tell you what it's NOT for and then you'll know why I can

KNRX July 15th 05 01:30 PM

Ok, where do I start? Is there a guide somewhere? I was not a DXer
nor would I describe myself as a shortwave enthusiast in the past. I
just enjoyed listening to a few shortwave stations mainly for
information I couldn't get locally at the time. I have a friend who
enjoys plane-spotting. He goes to Logan Airport with a camera almost
everyday and gets excited when he sees a new plane or one in new
"colors" or strange markings. Is being a shortwave enthusiast a little
like that or is it more useful and less neurotic?

Greg July 15th 05 02:40 PM

From: "KNRX"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 15 Jul 2005 05:30:51 -0700
Subject: *** SHORTWAVE IS DEAD WHY BOTHER?????

Ok, where do I start? Is there a guide somewhere?

Yes, www.google.com

I'm not trying to be a smartass here. Do searches for military coms,
hurricane nets (very busy at the moment), utilities listening, or whatever.
You'll find some web sites with lots of info. You can quickly take the
paths that interest you, better than following a random list of links that
we might provide for you here.

I was not a DXer
nor would I describe myself as a shortwave enthusiast in the past. I
just enjoyed listening to a few shortwave stations mainly for
information I couldn't get locally at the time. I have a friend who
enjoys plane-spotting. He goes to Logan Airport with a camera almost
everyday and gets excited when he sees a new plane or one in new
"colors" or strange markings. Is being a shortwave enthusiast a little
like that or is it more useful and less neurotic?

You don't have to be neurotic to be an SWLer, but being neurotic helps if
you want to participate in this newsgroup!

Happy listening.

Greg

m II July 16th 05 03:30 AM

dxAce wrote:

Disco has a better chance of returning than his sanity does!

....and you've been patiently waiting, haven't you, you Dancing Fool...

Let's all sing along...

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,
I'm a womanly man, no time to talk.
Music bad and women worse,
I've been dumb enough
since I was born.

And now it's all right, it's OK.
And you may look the other way.
We can try to understand
the illegal war's effect on man.

Whether you're a sister or whether you're a mother,
you're stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Feel my brain a'breaking and everybody shaking,
and I'm stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' a bore.

Well now, I get low and I get high,
and if I can't get either, I really try.
Got the stink of beerfart on my shoes.
I'm a dancing womanly man and I can only booze.
You know it's all right, it's OK.
I'll live to see another gay.
We can try to understand
the illegal war's effect on man.

Whether you're a sister or whether you're a mother,
you're stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Feel my brain a'breaking and everybody shaking,
and I'm stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' a bore. Aah.

Life going nowhere.
Somebody help me,
somebody help me, yeah.
Life going nowhere.
Somebody help me, yeah.
I'm stayin' a bore.

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,
I'm a womanly man, no time to talk.
Music bad and women worse,
I've been dumb enough since I was born.

And now it's all right, it's OK.
And you can look the other way.
We can try to understand
the illegal war's effect on man.

Whether you're a sister or whether you're a mother,
you're stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Feel my brain a breaking and everybody shaking,
and I'm stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' a bore, stayin' a bore.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' a bore.

Life going nowhere.
Somebody help me,
somebody help me, yeah.
Life going nowhere.
Somebody help me, yeah.
I'm stayin' a bore.

Life going nowhere.
Somebody help me,
somebody help me, yeah.
Life going nowhere.
Somebody help me, yeah.
I'm stayin' a bore...

=============================

With no apologies to the Bee Gees whatever. I stopped buying when they went disco.

mike

dxAce July 16th 05 12:13 PM

m II wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Disco has a better chance of returning than his sanity does!

...and you've been patiently waiting, haven't you, you Dancing Fool...

Beats being a dumbass Canuck any day of the week.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

m II July 16th 05 01:43 PM

dxAce wrote:

Beats being a dumbass Canuck any day of the week.

....yawnnnn...

I doubt they taught you the number of days in a week. If they did, you've
certainly forgotten. Which days' names can you actually remember? Do you even
remember if ALL weeks have the same number of days?

mike

dxAce July 16th 05 01:46 PM

m II wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Beats being a dumbass Canuck any day of the week.

...yawnnnn...

I doubt they taught you the number of days in a week. If they did, you've
certainly forgotten. Which days' names can you actually remember? Do you even
remember if ALL weeks have the same number of days?

Doesn't matter 'tard boy... no matter what, I'm still not a dumbass Canuck!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

m II July 16th 05 02:03 PM

dxAce wrote:

m II wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Beats being a dumbass Canuck any day of the week.

...yawnnnn...

I doubt they taught you the number of days in a week. If they did, you've
certainly forgotten. Which days' names can you actually remember? Do you even
remember if ALL weeks have the same number of days?

Doesn't matter 'tard boy... no matter what, I'm still not a dumbass Canuck!

That's hilarious. You don't appear know the name of even ONE day of the week.
Changing the topic won't get you off the hook, loon. Get whoever reads these
newsgroup postings to you to go down to the variety store on Main Street and
look at the calendar for you. I realize you can't leave the wheelchair until
your insurance claim is settled.

mike

[email protected] July 16th 05 02:14 PM

God isn't dead,neither is Shortwave Radio.
cuhulin

dxAce July 16th 05 02:19 PM

m II wrote:

dxAce wrote:

m II wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Beats being a dumbass Canuck any day of the week.

...yawnnnn...

I doubt they taught you the number of days in a week. If they did, you've
certainly forgotten. Which days' names can you actually remember? Do you even
remember if ALL weeks have the same number of days?

Doesn't matter 'tard boy... no matter what, I'm still not a dumbass Canuck!

That's hilarious. You don't appear know the name of even ONE day of the week.
Changing the topic won't get you off the hook, loon. Get whoever reads these
newsgroup postings to you to go down to the variety store on Main Street and
look at the calendar for you. I realize you can't leave the wheelchair until
your insurance claim is settled.

Whatever, 'tard... I'm still not a dumbass Canuck!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Greg July 16th 05 02:25 PM

From: "KNRX"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 15 Jul 2005 05:30:51 -0700

[...]

See what I mean?

Greg Disco Duck

[email protected] July 17th 05 07:29 PM

scott wrote:
diminished international broadcasts...bpl coming....why bother with sw
anymore

Well for one thing, everyone who is important in the defense, state,
and intelligence departmnet still uses it. INTERNET is too easy too
trace, and is full of bugs.

Second, if it is dead then I suggest you get a better receiver...it is
crawling with signals.

And third, in my line of work, the bad guys and everyone with a cause
is using it......only a fool would use a system or a computer with
tracability on it and throughout the servers it threads the
communications to.

SW is far from dead...probably the same people who missed out on the
Cold War action are missing out on the hottest thing since then.

[email protected] July 17th 05 07:44 PM

When the s... hits the fan,good old Shortwave Radio and good old Ham's
rokin on the waves are the ONLY means of communication on the
air,Period! Shortwave Radio isn't dead and Shortwave Radio will never
die.There are always Shortwave Radio Cowboys and Shortwave Radio
Cowgirls to keep Shortwave Radio alive.Folks,if y'all are ahead of the
herd,please don't forget to look back once in a while to see if I am
still here,, and if you are wearing Spurs,don't squat too low.
cuhulin

[email protected] July 17th 05 07:48 PM

Sometimes,I forget what day of the week it is (like I should care?) and
I can never remember dates.Like that pretty married Irish woman wayyy
over yonder across the big pond says,I am getting old and senile.Except
she spells senile with a p.
cuhulin

[email protected] July 17th 05 07:51 PM

www.hurricanealley.net Shortwave Infared.Seee,I am always on topic.
cuhulin

David July 17th 05 08:02 PM

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:44:57 -0500, wrote:

When the s... hits the fan,good old Shortwave Radio and good old Ham's
rokin on the waves are the ONLY means of communication on the
air,Period! Shortwave Radio isn't dead and Shortwave Radio will never
die.There are always Shortwave Radio Cowboys and Shortwave Radio
Cowgirls to keep Shortwave Radio alive.Folks,if y'all are ahead of the
herd,please don't forget to look back once in a while to see if I am
still here,, and if you are wearing Spurs,don't squat too low.
cuhulin

I don't think your short wave will do you much good. Isn't the whole
point of HAARP to destroy the ionosphere?

[email protected] July 17th 05 08:03 PM

Get a standby (or two or three) Shortwave Radio,they don't need to be
the high priced spred) put them in a metal trash can with a tight
fitting lid,put a few handy dandy walkie talkies in there too.The old
tube type radios are the best (in my opinion)
Shortwave/AM/FM/whatever,tube type radios.Just like Firearms,Buy
one,Hide one.
cuhulin

dxAce July 17th 05 08:05 PM

David wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:44:57 -0500, wrote:

When the s... hits the fan,good old Shortwave Radio and good old Ham's
rokin on the waves are the ONLY means of communication on the
air,Period! Shortwave Radio isn't dead and Shortwave Radio will never
die.There are always Shortwave Radio Cowboys and Shortwave Radio
Cowgirls to keep Shortwave Radio alive.Folks,if y'all are ahead of the
herd,please don't forget to look back once in a while to see if I am
still here,, and if you are wearing Spurs,don't squat too low.
cuhulin

I don't think your short wave will do you much good. Isn't the whole
point of HAARP to destroy the ionosphere?

No, it was designed to destroy what was left of your drug addled brain, 'tard
boy.

And from what I've been able to discern it has certainly done an admirable job.

Continue to tote.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

[email protected] July 17th 05 08:53 PM

My dingaling is deader than Shortwave Radio will ever be.
cuhulin

[email protected] July 17th 05 08:55 PM

Nothing is wrong with my addeled old brain.
cuhulin

[email protected] July 17th 05 08:56 PM

I say,NUKE HAARP.
cuhulin

[email protected] July 17th 05 10:38 PM

Sounds like Smokey and the Bandit explaining which CB bands to go
to.Who,when,what and where.
cuhulin

Brian Hill July 17th 05 11:47 PM

"MnMikew" wrote in message

David is awaiting the return of disco. :-)

He probably is posing in front of the mirror right now with his Angel Flight
pant and his silk shirt. LOL!!!

B.H.

Jim Barrett July 18th 05 01:25 AM

David wrote in
:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:44:57 -0500, wrote:

When the s... hits the fan,good old Shortwave Radio and good old Ham's
rokin on the waves are the ONLY means of communication on the
air,Period! Shortwave Radio isn't dead and Shortwave Radio will never
die.There are always Shortwave Radio Cowboys and Shortwave Radio
Cowgirls to keep Shortwave Radio alive.Folks,if y'all are ahead of the
herd,please don't forget to look back once in a while to see if I am
still here,, and if you are wearing Spurs,don't squat too low.
cuhulin

I don't think your short wave will do you much good. Isn't the whole
point of HAARP to destroy the ionosphere?

The ionosphere cannot be "destroyed" it is constantly being created /
renewed by the effects of incoming solar particles. In fact, the
ionosphere's D layer completely disappears on the night side of the earth,
but returns full-strength in a matter of less than one hour after sunrise.

Sometimes the entire global ionosphere IS completely "destroyed"
(electrically neutralized) after the CME from a large solar flare impacts -
but it always returns once the storm subsides.

The ill-informed make a big deal about the multi-megawatt ERP of the HAARP
antenna array. As it happens, the electron current in the ionosphere at any
given moment from solar radiation amounts to hundreds of BILLIONS of watts.
Compared to that, the effect of HAARP is like a mosquito biting an
elephant.

HAARP might indeed be able to create a small localized "hole" in the
ionosphere directly above the transmitting array - in the same way you
could create a temporary "hole" in the surface of a glass of water by
putting an object in the glass - a hole which would fill and disappear the
moment you remove the object... just as any HARRP-induced effect on the
ionosphere would quickly disappear once the array is switched off.

The crap that HAARP alarmists believe never fails to amaze me. It's a sad
commentary on the poor state of science and math education in the public
schools.

J. Barrett