Old July 22nd 05, 06:43 AM

Default Passing this on

from information I just saw elsewhere.(Thanks,Paul) James Doohan got the
middle finger (Please,no puns) of one of his hands shot off by three
bullets during the D-Day invasion,World War Two.Walking to the Medic,he
didn't realize he had also been shot by four bullets in both legs.Sounds
like one hell of a fine Soldier to me!
cuhulin

Old July 22nd 05, 09:28 AM
Anders Henriksen

from information I just saw elsewhere.(Thanks,Paul) James Doohan
got the middle finger (Please,no puns) of one of his hands shot
off by three bullets during the D-Day invasion,World War
Two.Walking to the Medic,he didn't realize he had also been shot
by four bullets in both legs.Sounds like one hell of a fine
Soldier to me!
cuhulin

Well, he probably wasn't better or worse than most other soldiers. He
probably experienced his "golden hour" where the body and/or mind closes off
any warning signals.

I know a person (Danish soldier) who experienced this in Ex Yogoslavia. A
couple of mortars exploded just a few feet away from him, and he almost got
blown to pieces. He didn't feel any pain and apart from the fact that he
couldn't move, he felt just fine. He actually wondered why he couldn't move.
It took about an hour, maybe one and a half, before the pain set in and he
realized that those explosions had been more than fire crackers.

He still has a lot of splinters in his body, some in his testicles, which
makes me wonder about the colour of a certain body fluid, but I havn't asked
about that. What is more critical is the large number of splinters in the
rest of his body. The organism tries to push these splinters out of the
system, but what would happen if a minor splinter were pushed into one of
the major veins?

But what has all this got to do with short wave? I know that the person I've
written about is in the Signal Corps - I've been in the same company as him.
But apart from that, this is OT.

--
Anders Henriksen
supermule [snabela] lite [punktum] dk

Internet? Jeg giver det højest tre år...

Old July 22nd 05, 01:50 PM
FDR

wrote in message
from information I just saw elsewhere.(Thanks,Paul) James Doohan got the
middle finger (Please,no puns) of one of his hands shot off by three
bullets during the D-Day invasion,World War Two.Walking to the Medic,he
didn't realize he had also been shot by four bullets in both legs.Sounds
like one hell of a fine Soldier to me!
cuhulin

One of those bullets hit him in the chest but he was apparently saved by his
metal cigarette holder.

Old July 22nd 05, 03:07 PM

There is an 85 year old guy who lives down the street from me and he was
in the U.S.Army 149th Signal Company in Europe in World War Two.They
wanted to put him in radio but he told them he couldn't get the knack of
learning Morse Code (or something like that) so he wound up in Motor
Pool repairing Trucks and Jeeps and whatever other vehicles.There is
another guy about his age who lives in Mesquite,Texas.(surburb city on
the East side of Dallas) He was in the U.S.Navy in Asia and he is a Ham
Radio operator.I don't know if he still post at www.lucianne.com or
not.He goes by the handle of Duke of Duval,his name is AL.Perhaps some
of y'all have talked to him before via radio.He and I used to email back
and forth quite often.
cuhulin