Old July 26th 05, 03:25 PM
homepc

Default Does The Eton s350DL=Tecsun BCL-3000?

I was looking into the Tecsun model myself. I've read that the BCL 3000
only goes up to 1610 KHz on the AM band. You already mentioned it's only
available in black with Chinese labeling. The radio doesn't come with ear
phones either, they must be purchased separately -- unlike the Eton S350DL
that includes nice headphones.

There are a couple of sellers on Ebay that offer free shipping for Degen
DE919 earphones and a Degen DE31 loop antenna if you include them in your
purchase along with the BCL 3000.

If you are patient and opt for ground shipment, the Tecsun is a very good
value at almost half the price of the Eton version. I'm just concerned if
the radio goes south, it's game over because the warranty repair return
shipping would be very expensive due to the weight and size of the radio.
It's too bad that Tecsun doesn't offer a small insurance fee that will cover
part of the shipment expense in the event of a factory defect. If that
option were available it would clinch the deal in a heartbeat!

"Zenith" wrote in message
Recently had my Tecsun BCL-2000 screwed up recently (Had it in my
checked luggage on a flight, and after I got it home the AM dial was
filled with images and AM reception was generally crippled. Anyone
have any ideas on what might have happened?), and I'm thinking about
replacing it. I had fun with the radio until the fatal flight...

So, there are new choices now. I can upgrade to the new "Eton" S350DL,
or the new Tecsun BCL-3000. Via Ebay you can get the new Tecsun for
around 90 bucks, or you can get the Eton for $150. Apparently, a lot
of people preferred the red and black Tecsun versions, because the
upgraded Eton S350DL (replacing the "Grundig" S350) is available in
the Tecsun colors-- Red and Black. AND the new Tecsun is only
available in black and all the text on the radio is CHINESE now. I
think they're trying to make Americans buy the Eton version for more
money.

It seems that the new Eton version has a blue LCD display (instead of
the goldish-brown LCD of the past versions and new BCL-3000) and can
be run on either AA or D batteries. They both offer stereo FM sound
via the headphones and claim to have anti-drift technology and a new
"CPU" and maybe firmware too.

I'd love to read a head to head comparison of these two radios. I
assume that the new versions are probably going to be the same as far
as reception. Anybody know anything about these two radios, and
whether they are still basically the same toy or not, and love to hear
from you.

Thanks

-Z

Old July 26th 05, 04:44 PM
willie wigwag

"Zenith" wrote in message
Recently had my Tecsun BCL-2000 screwed up recently (Had it in my
checked luggage on a flight, and after I got it home the AM dial was
filled with images and AM reception was generally crippled. Anyone
have any ideas on what might have happened)

My guess is the new high power X-Ray scanners in use at airports
to scan baggage for bambs and such instead bombarded your
radio with so much x-ray that it fried the semiconductors in the radio.

My advice: File a claim for damaged goods to the TSA at
http://www.tsa.gov/public/

Old July 26th 05, 06:06 PM
Frank Dresser

"Zenith" wrote in message
Recently had my Tecsun BCL-2000 screwed up recently (Had it in my
checked luggage on a flight, and after I got it home the AM dial was
filled with images and AM reception was generally crippled. Anyone
have any ideas on what might have happened?), and I'm thinking about
replacing it. I had fun with the radio until the fatal flight...

I don't know specifically about the Tecsun, but many radios have a ferrite
bar antenna which is mounted from one end. A sudden jolt might crack one of
the solder joints or pads at the mounting end. If you're able to
disassemble the radio, it's pretty easy to check. A little re-soldering
might fix it.

Frank Dresser

Old July 26th 05, 08:42 PM
RHF

Zenith,
Old July 28th 05, 01:49 AM
Conan Ford

"RHF" wrote in news:1122406962.222793.244050
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Zenith,
.
The new Tecsun BCL-3000 is the same physical size as the
older Tecsun BCL-2000 (Grundig S350.
.
The new Eton S350DL is larger then the older Tecsun BCL-2000
(Grundig S350.
.
The internal 'upgraded' Electronics in both new Radio's
may both have the same circuitry inside.
(Simply a Different Package)
.
Check-Out the Grundig S350 - Tecsun BCL-2000 - Eton S350DL Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S350/
.
~ RHF
. . . . .

Are you sure about the size difference? According to Universal Radio, they
are the same size. The S350DL looks "Squished".

Old July 28th 05, 02:59 AM
RHF

CF,
Old July 28th 05, 03:18 AM
RHF

For One and All,
=2E
FWIW - Eton Corp (Grundig Radio North America) now
has the Eton S350 "Deluxe" DL listed on their website.
=2E
et=F3n S350 DELUXE AM/FM Shortwave field radio
ETON S350DL =3D http://tinyurl.com/8tnqc
http://www.grundigradio.com/US/produ...&subcatid=3D3=
&prodid=3D55

Noted "Improvements" over S350: FM-stereo via headphone;
AM/SW Frequency Lock; set clock and alarm while radio plays;
operates on either 4D or 4AA Batteries
=2E
Specifications - et=F3n S350 DELUXE Features
ETON S350DL SPEC =3D http://tinyurl.com/95rn2
http://www.grundigradio.com/US/produ...cs=3Dtrue&pro=
dID=3D55&catID=3D1&subCatID=3D3

Dimensions: 12-1/2"W x 7"H x 3-1/2"D (315 x 175 x 89 mm)
Weight: 3 lb. 4 oz. (1.48 Kg)
Improvements over Grundig S350
* FM-stereo via headphone
* AM/SW Frequency Lock
* Set clock and alarm while radio plays
* Operates on either 4D or 4AA Batteries
* Larger Speaker Size : 4-3/4" vice 3"
=2E
Check-Out the Grundig S350 - Tecsun BCL-2000 - Eton S350DL Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S350/
=2E
that's all folks - yaba yaba dooooo ! ~ RHF
=2E . . . .

Old July 28th 05, 01:04 PM

I've wondered whether X-ray machines pose a genuine threat to radios
and other electronic devices. I've never had a problem with these
machines and with all the notebook computers, cell phones and fancy
PDAs going through them, I can't help but suspect that the threat is
minimal.

Am I wrong?

Steve

Old July 28th 05, 03:00 PM
Frank Dresser

"Zenith" wrote in message

[snip]

hooked up several external antennas and reception never improved.

[snip]

A typical ferrite bar antenna is tuned. The radio uses the ferrite bar
antenna as part of the tuned circuit for front end selectivity in the AM
band. Damage to the connections to the antenna will not only reduce signal
transfer but also reduce selectivity.

I can't tell you exactly where your radio's problem is. But I've fixed this
problem on different radios, and it was broken connections at the ferrite
bar antenna.

Frank Dresser