Old July 27th 05, 04:14 AM
newbieguy

Default How to learn more about am tube radios?

When I was a kid, I used to listen to my grandfather's AM tube radio.
It was a breadbox sized Philco, I believe vintage 1940s. It had
excellent reception and excellent sound due to a big old 6x9 inch
speaker on the bottom. I would like to get me a am tube radio. I see
lots on ebay in various conditions, many pretty cheap. But I know
nothing about them, what is good and what is not. Where can I learn
more?
Old July 27th 05, 04:17 AM
Buzzygirl

"newbieguy" wrote in message
When I was a kid, I used to listen to my grandfather's AM tube radio.
It was a breadbox sized Philco, I believe vintage 1940s. It had
excellent reception and excellent sound due to a big old 6x9 inch
speaker on the bottom. I would like to get me a am tube radio. I see
lots on ebay in various conditions, many pretty cheap. But I know
nothing about them, what is good and what is not. Where can I learn
more?

You might enjoy checking out this link-- there's a whole bunch of good stuff
here on old radios:

http://www.radioattic.com/

Jackie

Old July 27th 05, 04:27 AM
Michael Black

newbieguy ) writes:
When I was a kid, I used to listen to my grandfather's AM tube radio.
It was a breadbox sized Philco, I believe vintage 1940s. It had
excellent reception and excellent sound due to a big old 6x9 inch
speaker on the bottom. I would like to get me a am tube radio. I see
lots on ebay in various conditions, many pretty cheap. But I know
nothing about them, what is good and what is not. Where can I learn
more?

rec.antiques.radio+phono is the newsgroup for you, a great place
to talk about old radios such as that.

Of course, for old shortwave or amateur radio receivers, there's
also rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Michael

Old July 27th 05, 04:28 AM
zebco733

Newbieguy,

Check out e-bay seller "areeko", who restores vintage radios.

His work is excellent.

I bought an AM tube radio that he restored - a Motorola - it looks and
performs like new.

Old July 27th 05, 04:39 AM

www.devilfinder.com Antique Radios
cuhulin

Old July 27th 05, 03:25 PM
Frank Dresser

"newbieguy" wrote in message
When I was a kid, I used to listen to my grandfather's AM tube radio.
It was a breadbox sized Philco, I believe vintage 1940s. It had
excellent reception and excellent sound due to a big old 6x9 inch
speaker on the bottom. I would like to get me a am tube radio. I see
lots on ebay in various conditions, many pretty cheap. But I know
nothing about them, what is good and what is not. Where can I learn
more?

Check out:

http://antiqueradio.org/

Also, consider visiting a Salvation Army type thrift store. Tube radios
show up from time to time. Around here, the small tabletop tube radios sell
around 5 or 10 bucks.

Frank Dresser

Old July 27th 05, 04:13 PM

I get over to the Goodwill thrift store every day around noontime.There
are two other Goodwill thrift stores and a Salvation Army store and a
Rescue Mission thrift store in the metro Jackson area and a lot of other
junk shops and fleamarkets too,but I am not going to be out driving
around town everyday looking for bargains,I have too much junk here
anyway.Another good place to look for tube type radios is at the yard
sales and the classifieds in your local area newspapers and online
newspapers. www.kidon.com links to all of the online newspapes and
many other news sites,radio and tv around the World.The Goodwill thrift
store I go to every day (except when they are closed on Sunday's and
hollidays) is only seven tenths of a mile South of me and the radios
there sell from $2.00 to $4.00.You can also post notices on bulletin
boards for old radios.One of the local freebie classifieds physical
newspapers around here is www.americanclassifieds.com There used to be
another one called Thrifty Nickle but I haven't seen that one in my area
in a long while.They might have went out business.
cuhulin

Old July 27th 05, 04:58 PM
David

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 03:14:50 GMT, newbieguy
wrote:

When I was a kid, I used to listen to my grandfather's AM tube radio.
It was a breadbox sized Philco, I believe vintage 1940s. It had
excellent reception and excellent sound due to a big old 6x9 inch
speaker on the bottom. I would like to get me a am tube radio. I see
lots on ebay in various conditions, many pretty cheap. But I know
nothing about them, what is good and what is not. Where can I learn
more?

Take plastic knob off the tuner, stand in a puddle, change channels.

Old July 27th 05, 07:02 PM
Mark Zenier

wrote:

When I was a kid, I used to listen to my grandfather's AM tube radio.
It was a breadbox sized Philco, I believe vintage 1940s. It had
excellent reception and excellent sound due to a big old 6x9 inch
speaker on the bottom. I would like to get me a am tube radio. I see
lots on ebay in various conditions, many pretty cheap. But I know
nothing about them, what is good and what is not. Where can I learn
more?

Take plastic knob off the tuner, stand in a puddle, change channels.

The old brown bakelite case with Octal tubes, (RCA, I think), we had in
the kitchen was even better than that. It had a metal set screw on the
volume control. Ouch.

For the OP, there was a low cost design called the "All American 5"
that was the guts to most of the tabletop AM Broadcast band radios
(in North America) from after WW-II through the mid 1960s. It was low
cost because it didn't use a power transformer and the power line was
connected to the chassis. If you had the power plug in the wrong way,
line voltage was present on any metal parts that the user could
accidentally contact.

This is where all the movie scenes came from that show people electrocuted
in the bathtub. It really happened, too. Most radio nuts knew at least
a friend of a friend who got killed. (In my case, a friend of my high
school electronics shop teacher).

Some shortwaves used this design, too. National SW-54, Knight
Star Roamer(?) , Hallicrafters S-38, and the cheapest Heathkit.

And the audio output tube (50C5 or 50L6) was always good for a couple
of burned fingers if you didn't let it cool down before you tried to
take it out of the socket.

A good place to start is to find an affordable copy of the _RCA
Receiving Tube Handbook_.

Mark Zenier

Old July 28th 05, 02:46 AM
newbieguy

Thanks everybody for the helpful information. Whatever I do, I work
in electronics so will not do anything foolish.

wrote:

When I was a kid, I used to listen to my grandfather's AM tube radio.
It was a breadbox sized Philco, I believe vintage 1940s. It had
excellent reception and excellent sound due to a big old 6x9 inch
speaker on the bottom. I would like to get me a am tube radio. I see
lots on ebay in various conditions, many pretty cheap. But I know
nothing about them, what is good and what is not. Where can I learn
more?

1930's Futuristic Shortwave Wood Radio - Searchlight radio - info wanted [email protected] Shortwave 0 January 12th 05 04:56 PM
Which Tube Radio, not only Which Radio Tube SR Shortwave 8 October 24th 04 01:30 PM
FS MOTOROLA RADIO'S John Swap 0 February 3rd 04 07:53 AM
xtals for old tube cb radios rob CB 1 September 6th 03 09:25 PM
Address the issues, Skippy! Repost #3 Skipp would rather be back in Tahoe CB 5 July 30th 03 07:05 PM