Old July 30th 05, 11:10 PM

Yeah,that's right,Scotland girl.We own and drive big vehicles over here
in U.S.A.This is U.S.A.and we do things in a biggg way,you got that!
Might as burn it up while it last is my motto.
cuhulin

Old July 30th 05, 11:26 PM
Ian Smith

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
. 20...
On Sat 30 Jul 2005 07:39:29a, dxAce wrote in
message :

-=jd=- wrote:

On Fri 29 Jul 2005 09:16:04p, "Ian Smith"
wrote in message
:

{Snipped}

All you guys have to do, over there in the USA, is make your
vehicles more fuel-efficient. Then you don't have to rely on
middle-eastern dictatorships/colonies to supply the oil. Over
here in
Scotland, it's not perfect by a long way, but at least we have
cars
which do decent miles-per-gallon (40+). A necessity, with
gasoline
over $5/gallon.

regards,

Ian, Clydebank, Scotland.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how much of your per-gallon price is
the
actual cost of product and how much is taxes or fees?

Most of it would be taxes or fees. The world price of crude is
pretty
much just that, the world price of crude. The UK is paying pretty
much
the same price for crude as we are.

dxAce

I heard someone half-seriously/half-humorously saying that the U.S.
would
be much worse off with more efficient or hybrid fuel vehicles.
Maintaining
the infrastructure relies heavily on all the tax revenue streaming
in from
fuel sales. He added something along the lines of, "If California
outlawed
Petro-Chem, they would be back to dirt roads within a decade!"

-=jd=-
--
My Current Disposable Email:

(Remove YOUR HAT to reply directly)

What dxAce says is right about the basic cost of producing
gasoline in the UK. It's just that the tax is around 80% of the pump
price, making it possibly the most expensive in the world.

As for loss of fuel tax revenue; money saved by those using
fuel-efficient vehicles will be spent in other ways, presumably
increasing revenue elsewhere, such as with sales tax etc. The problem
will be how to overcome any shortfall when this happens. Higher
taxation is not often a vote winner. :-)

Old July 30th 05, 11:43 PM
dxAce

wrote in message
:

[...]

Here in the USA it seems as though some are looking at a tax per mile driven
rather than the at the pump tax. This will overcome the loss in revenue for the
higher MPG vehicles.

If I recall, California was looking at such a scheme.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 30th 05, 11:46 PM

My raggity old 1978 long wheelbase Dodge van has about 14 feet of cargo
space in it from inside the rear doors to inside of the windshield
(windscreen,to you,Scotland girl) I had to unload a big two piece settee
(put the two pieces together and it is a lonnggggg couch,sofa,to you
Scotland girl) and I also have two tables and a few big boxes of junk
and two wheels/tires (tyres,to you,Scotland girl,wheel/tires three times
larger than on that little toy crackerbox you drive) and a boat engine
and and a big old air compressor and other assorted odds and ends of big
junk in my van.(I also own a 1971 short wheelbase Chevrolet van and a
regular size wheelbase 1982 Ford van and a 1976 Chevrolet ex bread truck
van that is bigger than anything you have ever seen and a 1914 Ford T
model car and a 1942 Willys World War Two Jeep and a 1948 Willys
civilian Jeep and a 1961 Hercules German moped,it has bicycle pedals on
it,I just now got my 25 foot long tape measure and I measured my Doge
van from bumper to bumper,about 18 feet long.I measured my 1976
Chevrolet ex bread truck in my back yard,about 22 feet long and six and
a half feet wide by about eight feet high) I had to make room in my
Dodge van so the window unit airconditioner I bought at Cowboy Maloney
Electric City on Ellis Ave here in Jackson,Mississippi would fit in the
ass end of my van.And you,Scotland girl are worried/concerned about the
big gas burners we American's own and drive and "waste" gasoline on.You
don't have a leg to stand on! Scotland girl!
cuhulin

Old July 30th 05, 11:52 PM

I wonder how Tara in Stockton,Australia (last I heard from her,she was
living in Stockton) and Mary and her hubby in the Sydney,Australia area
are doing? I haven't heard from them in a coons age.I email them,but all
I get back is mail failure deliverys.
cuhulin

Old July 30th 05, 11:56 PM

Ahhh,aren't they or weren't they going to do a cost of gasoline based on
miles driven thingy in limeyland? For some people over there,I heard
tell they would be paying less for gasoline depending on miles driven.
cuhulin

Old July 31st 05, 12:03 AM

Give me dirt roads anyday!
cuhulin

Old July 31st 05, 07:27 PM
Brian Hill

"-=jd=-" wrote in message On second thought,
that won't work either - they will still need oil to spray
on the dirt roads to help keep the dust down. At least, that's what they
did
back in the day...

-=jd=-
--

They still do in some places jd

B.H.

Old July 31st 05, 07:34 PM

About a week or two ago,I saw a website at www.gizmodo.com about how
to make an inexpensive gadget to turn traffic lights from red to green.I
sent that website to one of my other six (count em,six) (that reminds
me,I need to click on my webtv female user name thingy to see if Raz has
something to say to me,hang on Raz,I will be right there,pretending I am
a 19 year old gurl) webtv user name thingys.I am not crazy enough to
build a gadget like that.
cuhulin

Old July 31st 05, 07:46 PM

When I lived in Carthage,Mississippi,many years ago,many,many was the
dirt roads my family drove on.Quick!,roll the windows up! and those flat
plate glass windshields would blind us.I don't remember any oil spraying
rigs,maybe we was too poor to afford them.
cuhulin