Old August 1st 05, 09:16 PM
Heeksbleek

Rob Mills wrote:
"Heeksbleek" wrote in message
ups.com...

Later also the figures on the display disaperared.

Have you replaced the two AA computer batteries? I have two 2001's and they
get weird when the AA's get low. RM~

Yes, it was the first thing I tried.

Old August 1st 05, 09:37 PM

Always use new fresh (however many batteries the radio uses) batteries
from the same package they came in.Some electronic devices are finiky
about things like that.
cuhulin

Old August 1st 05, 08:15 PM
John S.

Heeksbleek wrote:
My 20 year Sony ICF-2001 recently started for it-self. In the morning
it was lud playing whilst the on/off switch was down.

Later, when it happened more the sound became only al loud
rushshshshshshshs. Switching the radio on and using the preset buttons
or the usual blackbuttons did not gave any normal reaction.

Later also the figures on the display disaperared.

Does this mean the final recycling or can a Sony ICF-2001 used more
than only 20 years ?

Heeksbleek

Well, try the inexpensive solutions first. I'm not sure if you are
talking about the original 2001 or the european version of the 2010
which was also numbereed 2001.

Anyway, if the radio has a reset button, try pressing that. Also try
removing all batteries for long enough to allow the clock and memories
to reset.

If that doesn't work, and the radio has a lot of emotional value for
you then seek a good repair shop for an estimate.

Otherwise, look for a newer radio. Either the latest Sony 7700 or the
Degen DE1103 would provide excellent reception and features for the
money.

Unfortunately I think you are seeing the downside to radios that run
from IC's, synthesized tuners and use electronic displays. When they
die the only salvation is another parts radio. At todays prices for
new receivers many of the older radios are really not worth fixing.

Old August 1st 05, 08:35 PM
John S.

And of course replace all the batteries first.

Old August 1st 05, 09:34 PM
Heeksbleek

Thank you, for your reaction.
1/ We talk about the European (Netherlands) ICF 2001, bought in 1983 of
84.

2/ I will try the reset procedure removing the back-up battery's. There
is no reset button.

3/ If this is not working it 's over and out and will use my dear
little ICF SW100 for the time being.

Old August 1st 05, 11:42 PM
John S.

Heeksbleek wrote:
Thank you, for your reaction.
1/ We talk about the European (Netherlands) ICF 2001, bought in 1983 of
84.

2/ I will try the reset procedure removing the back-up battery's. There
is no reset button.

3/ If this is not working it 's over and out and will use my dear
little ICF SW100 for the time being.

Also try replacing all of the batteries. That is a fine receiver, lets
hope you can get it back to life.

Old August 2nd 05, 12:04 AM
David

On 1 Aug 2005 13:34:06 -0700, "Heeksbleek"
wrote:

Thank you, for your reaction.
1/ We talk about the European (Netherlands) ICF 2001, bought in 1983 of
84.

2001D = 2010

Old August 2nd 05, 02:27 PM
H. Dziardziel

On 31 Jul 2005 07:57:05 -0700, "Heeksbleek"
wrote:

snip

As someone said here, that's too fine a unit to just give up on.
Those progressive symptoms suggest an internal power supply
problem that a technician with the service manual might repair.
Corrosion on the main board, and cleaning it up, may be
productive too.

Although they can fail (for a number of reasons) of course,
diodes, transistors and IC's, if not overheated, and not used
outside their electrical parameters (overvoltage, static etc,),
have indefinate lives. LCDs, due to their organic materials, do
wear out eventually (years and years) , but your unit's symptoms
indicate a total unit power loss. Resistors also rarely fail if
not overheated. Electrolytic capacitors are the most common
problem as some dry up or leak. .Good luck.

Old August 2nd 05, 08:56 PM
Heeksbleek

Flowers for some John and H. Dziardziel !!!

After 24 hours without back-up battery's and not connected to the 4,5 V
trafo (the reset theory John S. mentioned).

I put back the 2 back-up battery's, connected the 4,5 V trafo and ...
oh wonder, the display gave a clear view. The commands via the push
buttons were follwed and I could listen to my favorite far-away
shortwave broadcasting. Also FM senders are working. However, not all
the functions like scanning are working, sometimes it is fading away
and display disapears. Some minutes later it comes back. Now it is
working longer time.

So I think time comes to open the radio and clean inside as H.D
suggests.

Does anybody know a www-site where I can find drawings of te inside ? I
have bad experience with Sony as it goes about supply information about
parts numbers and drawings.

Old August 2nd 05, 09:14 PM
David

On 2 Aug 2005 12:56:10 -0700, "Heeksbleek"
wrote:

[...]

You may need to insert a small metal shim in with the AA batteries.
They may be making intermittent contact.