Old August 4th 05, 04:19 AM
OldGold

I would love for someone to take the whole console

But I concluded that case would be unlikely

The console weighs 400lbs

Selling the audio gear and offer the console for free to any winner who
could arrange for pick up on their own

Old August 4th 05, 01:28 PM

Why do people do that crap?

I can't figure it out either. I've seen a seller with twelve auctions
for R-390A parts (one auction: gears. Second auction: gear clamps.
Third auction: knobs. Fourth auction: IF deck minus filters. Fifth
auction: Filters for IF deck etc.) all claiming they all came from the
same "working" R-390A. It's like they decided they could make more
money by stripping every little piece off a working radio. What was
sad in this case was that it wasn't even complete subassemblies - they
tore the geartrain apart and were selling the gears in one auction, the
metal plates in another, the clamps in a third, !!!!

I have nothing against selling "parts" radios or selling parts from a
non-working non-restorable radio. But to strip a perfectly good
working radio into tiny bits and pieces.... it hurts to think about it.

My only conclusion is that their day job is at a chop shop.

Tim.

Old August 4th 05, 04:38 PM
Frank Dresser

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

The R-390A guy might have been attempting a complete restoration, got in
over his head, and decided selling the parts was the easiest way out.

Frank Dresser

Old August 5th 05, 08:18 PM

The R-390A guy might have been
attempting a complete restoration, got in
over his head, and decided selling the parts
was the easiest way out.

I like to give the most charitable interpretation too, but in this case
the guy does it to every rig he sells. Right now he has a HW-101 split
into 22 auctions. Maybe he really does make more money this way.

Tim.

Old August 6th 05, 01:24 PM
Frank Dresser

wrote in message
oups.com...

I like to give the most charitable interpretation too, but in this case
the guy does it to every rig he sells. Right now he has a HW-101 split
into 22 auctions. Maybe he really does make more money this way.

Tim.

Hmmm. I wonder what that guy's time is worth? Not only for the time in
which it takes to break down the radio but the time to set up multiple
auctions, answer all the e-mail, confirm payments and ship the stuff out.
It sure seems like alot of extra effort even if he's cherry picking parts
for his own radios and selling the leftovers on the side.

Maybe there's a lottery ticket mentality at work. You never know when
you'll score really big on the next IF transformer or tube shield.

Frank Dresser