Old August 3rd 05, 12:02 AM

Default WANTED ACTIVE AM LOOP ANTENNA

WANTED Palomar am loop ,Radio+ Quantom AM loop or similar active
(preamplified ) am broadcast band loop antenna .contact David N4XCE at
1-251-478-8823 or

Old August 3rd 05, 12:26 PM

WANTED Palomar am loop ,Radio+ Quantom AM loop or similar active
(preamplified ) am broadcast band loop antenna .contact David N4XCE at
1-251-478-8823 or

-------------------------------
I own a McKay Dymek DA5 and have compared it in a side by side
test to the Palomar. Both do a credible job. However from research
for a friend I think the Kiwa loop will perform much better.
See the link at: http://www.kiwa.com/pktloop.html
See the reviews at:http://www.kiwa.com/review.html

I would love to try one of these heads up against my DA5, but
based on these reviews and some others that I have read, I
think the Kiwa is much better.

A friend moved to central KA and wanted to listen to WHAS
in Lossyville KY. He was going to buy one when he found
WHAS is available via the web.

Terry

Old August 3rd 05, 04:09 PM

cuhu wrote:
I never heard of Lossyville,KY before.I used to listen to WHAS out of
Louisville,Kentucky when I was at Fort Knox,Kentucky and I can pick up
WHAS on any of my radios pretty good at night time,I am about 479 miles
South of Louisville,Kentucky.
cuhulin
There is a mild inter city rivil between Lexington and Louisvile.
Hence the nasty name calling.
Louisville has a great zoo, a great art museum and that is about
it. People are nasty and surely and drive even worse then the fools
here in Lexington.

Terry

Old August 3rd 05, 04:28 PM

John Plimmer wrote:

Kiwa MW Loop - see
http://www.dxing.info/equipmen t/kiwa_mw_loop_plimmer.dx
--
------------------
Have you ever used a McKay Dymek DA5, or DA7 or the Polamar loop?

While here in the USA we have a "lot" of MW stations, Europe is much
worse.
A friend spent a year in Europe, in France near Germany, and her DX398
was nearly useless on MW. Here in the USA most MW are relativly low
power. I have a MW on 770KHz about 3 miles from me that is the bane of
my
existance. It sneaks into nearly everything. The only good part is they
are
daylight only and they cleaned up the TX last winter. They had nasty
spurs all
over the MW band. The spurs were at the same spot on receivers with
different
LO/IF chains.

The DA5 does a usefull job of nulling out offending stations, not
perfect but
given the typical garbage on MW here these days I seldom listen. I am
currently intrigued by a 10W "Traffic Information Station" that is ~20
miles away,
working into a 20' vertical antenna with a poor ground system that I
am receiving
S3 after some improvements to my ground system.

Terry

Old August 3rd 05, 04:50 PM
Rob Mills

wrote in message
oups.com...

The DA5 has a ~12" feritte bar

It's been quite awhile since I had mine open but the actual bar in mine was
only 8 or 9 inches long. What really surprised me was that the coil on the
bar had very few turns, maybe 4 or 5. RM~

PS, I do have the schematic of the amp.

Old August 3rd 05, 05:13 PM

I have been to Louisville,Kentucky a few times before.Louisville is a
great City,I have never been to Lexingon,Kentucky before though,I am
sure it is a great City too,all of the Cities and Towns in U.S.A.are
Great.I have been to Lexington,Mississippi a lot of times before when I
drove a delivery van for Pony Express Courier company,(I once got a
speeding ticket just South of Grenada,Mississippi,that Mississippi
Highway Patrol guy was sitting there in his car by some trees on I-55
just waiting on me) I delivered tractor parts to a tractor company in
Lexington on my route.I knew you meant Louisville when you said
Lossyville. www.devilfinder.com Louisville Kentucky
cuhulin

Old August 3rd 05, 05:48 PM

Rob Mills wrote:

It's been quite awhile since I had mine open but the actual bar in mine
was
only 8 or 9 inches long. What really surprised me was that the coil on
the
bar had very few turns, maybe 4 or 5. RM~

PS, I do have the schematic of the amp.
--------------------------------------
Based the size on my flawed memory.It has been seveal years since I had

mine open. I agree with the few number of turns. Before I could afford
to buy
a used one, I bought a core from McKay-Dymek for something like
$5(shipping
included!) back in ?1972? or so. I worked part time in a repair shop
and one
came in with a blown transformer and after I repaired it, I wanted one.
As a
college student I couldn't affoard a new one. My copy worked about 85%
as
well as the real one for about 5% of the cost.

I was e-mailed the diagram for the active DA100 earlier this year and
was very underwealmed by the clone's performance. The North Country
active antenna is
better and the AmRad active antenna is light years better. Given how
well the
DA5 worked I had hjoped teh DA100 would be in the same league. A friend
has
just bought a new DA100-E and will bring it over this afternoon for me
to compare
to my AmRad and North Country actives.

Terry

Old August 3rd 05, 09:36 PM
Guy Kudlemyer

-------------------------------
I own a McKay Dymek DA5 and have compared it in a side by side
test to the Palomar. Both do a credible job. However from research
for a friend I think the Kiwa loop will perform much better.
See the link at: http://www.kiwa.com/pktloop.html
See the reviews at:http://www.kiwa.com/review.html

I would love to try one of these heads up against my DA5, but
based on these reviews and some others that I have read, I
think the Kiwa is much better.

A friend moved to central KA and wanted to listen to WHAS
in Lossyville KY. He was going to buy one when he found
WHAS is available via the web.

Terry

I own both the KIWA and a McKay/Dymek DA-7 (which is the same as the DA-5,
except that it also covers longwave), and I can attest that the KIWA is
eminently superior.

--Guy
Thurston, OR

Old August 4th 05, 02:52 AM
Junior Member

Location: East Texas
Smile

You might also consider the AOR LA320. Universal has them in closeout. I have had excellent luck with this one. It has 4 interchangeable loops, which cover LW, MW. 1.6 MHZ, 5-15 MHZ.
Old August 4th 05, 01:31 PM

Guy Kudlemyer

I own both the KIWA and a McKay/Dymek DA-7 (which is the same as the
DA-5,
except that it also covers longwave), and I can attest that the KIWA is
eminently superior.

--Guy
Thurston, OR
Do you have a diagram of the DA7?

I had always thought it's main claim to fame was a
longer feritte rod. TheDA5 diagram is very simple.
It would be nice if it is easy to modify the DA5 to
co er LF as well.

Terry