Old December 28th 03, 08:07 PM
Tracy Fort

Default Good longwire shortwave attic antenna

I'd like to put one in my attic for SW reception. What is the best
design? Is there a good web sitethat someone could point me? My house
is about 60 to 70 ft long and I think a large rectangle would do a
good job. Could you make a large rectangle with both ends terminating
into coax? The shield to one end and the center conductor to the other
or would it be best to run one very long wire clipped to the antenna
of the radio?

Tracy
Old December 28th 03, 09:53 PM
Diverd4777

Tracy:

Look he

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/

Frankly, your idea of a big rectangle away from electrical devices & fed to
your SW receiver with a peice of co-ax is a great way to start out;

Antennas are , IMHO, a work of art, always in progress.

Dan

Old December 29th 03, 01:53 AM
The Axelrods

Tracy Fort wrote:

I'd like to put one in my attic for SW reception. What is the best
design? Is there a good web sitethat someone could point me? My house
is about 60 to 70 ft long and I think a large rectangle would do a
good job. Could you make a large rectangle with both ends terminating
into coax? The shield to one end and the center conductor to the other
or would it be best to run one very long wire clipped to the antenna
of the radio?

Tracy

Run the wire from the center of the coax around the attic. Do NOT attach
the other end to the coax just leave it alone as a bare end. Run the
coax to the radio and keep the shield away from the center at the
antenna end.

More info at the AMANDX site below

--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Old December 29th 03, 07:44 AM
RHF

TF,

A Compilation "In-the-ATTIC" Antennas

1. Here are some Ideas about an "In-the-ATTIC" Antenna.

* Transforming the "ATTIC" Random Wire Antenna to a Loop
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/385

* Receiving Only Random Length Antenna: Open End vs Loop ?

* In-the-Attic "Conical Loop Antenna" (Folded SkyWire)

* Attic Electrical Wiring and Noise = Think Horizontal Loop Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/233

2. What you are missing in your basic Idea about using a Loop
Antenna in the Attic and Coax Cable Lead-in-Line is a Matching
Transformer (BALUN).

* Two Reasons to use a Balun (Matching Transformer)
with a Receive Only Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/150

* SkyWire Loop Antenna Balun (Baluns in General)

* Am I Missing Something ? ? ? YES a Matching Transformer ! ! !

* Ground Required At Balun ? (In-the-Attic Antenna Grounding)

3. In the PHOTO Section of the SWL Antennas and AM & FM
Antennas eGroup is a Folder for "In-the-ATTIC" Antennas.

4. Before You Build Your Antenna.... Here Is Something To Read:

5. Check Out these three Loop Antenna eGroups on YAHOO!

* Skywire Loop Antennas
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SkyWires/
= = = About 200 Messages and 100 Members

* K9AY Loop Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K9AYloop/
= = = About 800 Messages and 400 Members

* Loop Antenna Information Forum
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/loopantennas/
= = = About 900 Messages and 800 Members

6. Shawn Axelrod's "AMANDX" DX WebSite has a great deal
of Antenna Information for SWLs and HAMs.
See the "Links to the Antenna Articles"
GoTo= http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html
As Shawn Says: REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = Tracy Fort
= = = wrote in message . ..

I'd like to put one in my attic for SW reception.

What is the best design?

=R= Loop Antenna
..
..
Is there a good web sitethat someone could point me?

=R= SWL Antennas and AM &FM Antennas eGroup on YAHOO !
..
..
My house is about 60 to 70 ft long and I think a large rectangle
would do a good job.

=R= Yes a Rectangle 'shaped' Loop Antenna is a Good Idea.
..
..
Could you make a large rectangle with both ends terminating
into coax ?

=R= Yes a Rectangle (LOOP) Loop Antenna useing a COax Cable
Lead-in-Line is a Good Idea.
..
..
The shield to one end and the center conductor to the other
or would it be best to run one very long wire clipped to the
antenna of the radio ?

=R= If this was for One Frequency Band and for Transmitting
using the 'direct' Coax Cable to Loop Antenna Element would be
a good Idea.

However, If this is a SWL Antenna that is "Receive ONLY"; then
You Should Be Using A "BALUN" Matching Transformer between the
Loop Antenna Element and the Coax Cable.
?WHY? Using a Balun will give your a SWL Loop Antenna that
works better across all SW Bands.
..
..

Tracy

..
Old December 29th 03, 08:50 AM
Michael Dawson

Tracy,

I have a 62metre attic open loop with a magnetic longwire balun and
RG58 coaxial feeder.

See this diagram

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~msdaws...icopenloop.jpg

The main advantage of an attic antenna is that it can generally be made
longer than an outside random wire.

The loop I made is not closed. The end of the wire is about 2 ft from
the feedpoint where the balun connects to the coaxial feeder.

I have had very good results with this aerial over the years. I gets
strong signals from VLF to low VHF.

73s

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
[...]

.
.
= = = Tracy Fort

. ..

Old December 31st 03, 01:24 PM
Tracey Fort

Thanks for all the attic antenna ideals. There is also lots of good
info in the yahoo groups. I should of looked there before wasting
everybody's time. I have my work cut out for me this weekend. I willl
also have an antenna that the wife won't complain about!

Tracy