Old August 8th 05, 05:33 PM

Default (maybe not too off topic) Daylight-saving switch may cause techwoes.

Article at www.clarionledger.com Would that have any affect on
shortwave radio listening or Shortwave radios connected to computers or
computerized radios?
cuhulin

Old August 9th 05, 01:07 AM
running dogg

John S. wrote:

wrote:
Article at
www.clarionledger.com Would that have any affect on
shortwave radio listening or Shortwave radios connected to computers or
computerized radios?
cuhulin

Which article....seems to have disappeared.

The Energy Bill does extend the DST window to create some imaginary
energy savings. I don't think the change will have any impact on radio
listening since we use zulu time to track schedules. Your computer OS
will have to be reconfigured for the new dates, but that's about it.

The politicians will get some milage from this pork barrel bill that
really does very little to actually conserve energy. The individual
energy tax credits part of this bill are positively byzantine in their
complexity while having only a minute impact on individual tax bills.

The real impact to SW listeners is that listening schedules will be
thrown off for a few weeks. SW stations use European time standards in
deciding when to switch to summer time. If DST is a few weeks earlier
and a few weeks later than European DST, then your favorite programs
will come on an hour earlier or later your local time. For example, The
World Today comes on at 0300 UTC winter and 0200 UTC summer. This means
that it always comes on at 10pm Eastern time, regardless of season. What
this means is that it will be on at 9pm or 11pm for a few weeks.

Old August 9th 05, 01:01 PM
John S.

running dogg wrote:
John S. wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The simple solution is to use the same time standard the broadcasters
use: GMT, Zulu, 24 Hr or UTC.

Old August 9th 05, 04:30 PM

I am all for expanding daylight saving time.We should start it right
now,in my opinion.Why wait untill 2007?
cuhulin

DPDT Coax Switch (sort of)? William M. Bickley Antenna 5 February 20th 06 04:12 PM
Coax Switch To Switch One Antenna Lead Between Several HF Transceivers ? Gary Antenna 4 January 24th 05 09:21 AM
Wandering Foot Switch KØHB Dx 7 January 4th 05 06:03 PM
Wandering Foot Switch KØHB Dx 0 January 4th 05 01:02 AM
Knife Switch Dean Shortwave 9 July 3rd 04 06:34 PM