Old September 4th 05, 09:29 PM
lsmyer

I also use OE, but I can't figure out how you are so successful at
eliminating the garbage. As a test, I created a News Rule that deletes any
message with "OT" in the subject. It works, but only on the first message of
the thread. All of the replies are still there. For some reason, it doesn't
apply the rule to the replies. Any suggestions?

Old September 4th 05, 09:55 PM
Honus

"lsmyer" wrote in message
I also use OE, but I can't figure out how you are so successful at
eliminating the garbage. As a test, I created a News Rule that deletes any
message with "OT" in the subject. It works, but only on the first message

of
the thread. All of the replies are still there. For some reason, it

doesn't
apply the rule to the replies. Any suggestions?

Wouldn't you then want a rule that deletes any " OT" in the thread
titles?

Old September 4th 05, 11:46 PM
Telamon

In article , craigm
wrote:

Sanjaya wrote:
To those considering leaving this group...

I ran OE, clicked newsgroup r.r.e status said 89 messages not
downloaded, I got the headers... result: 1 on topic unread message
killfile and subject filters deleted 88 messages... about 99%

I've had other similar results, but never 99 percent... more like
60-80 percent, but the point is... filter and PLONK the crap you
don't want to see

However, for someone visitng the group for the first time this may
not be realistic. A newbie will see politics, name calling, bigotry
and other off topic posts and immeiately write off the group as
worthless.

Snip

This is exactly my point in another thread. Someone new to the news
group will just write it off because of all the nasty off topic
Trolling.

I think this is a valid concern as just today 156 kill filed and 40
articles to read so that's only 20% of the posts being on topic.

Someone new is just going to drop the news group and it explains why no
one new, other than some Trolling sock puppets, have shown up the last
few months.

There are good people here I don't want to kill file but they answer
the Trolls on a daily basis so I found a way to filter their responses
when they answer the Troll posts most of the time but most people are
not that sophisticated with filters.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 5th 05, 01:27 AM
lsmyer

That would seem to make sense, but the way I understand it, the rule is
supposed to look for a particular word in a subject line, so it shouldn't
matter if the word is the first word in that line or any other word in that
line. If it sees the word, then it should delete it.

Old September 5th 05, 07:20 AM
RHF

SANJAYA,

Old September 5th 05, 09:41 PM
Telamon

In article .com,
"RHF" wrote:

SANJAYA,
.
Start with "(OT)"
.
Next add "DaviD"
.
Then add "RHF"
.
that does it for me ;-} ~ RHF
. . . . .

So what I have been doing since you can not resist answering the
Trolling idiots is to kill file them in the reference header. That way
I don't have to Plonk you entirely. Does not always work because
sometimes you generate a new post in the thread but it works most of the
time. Still not sure if you are worth the trouble though.

However, you should consider that responding to them keeps them around
and conditions in the news group prevent many normal people from
posting here since the majority of posts are off topic, flaming, racist
and disgusting. Most people will not subject themselves to this kind of
language. You should consider that most people would expect some of
this in a public forum but not to the current level of being the
majority of posts, which they have been for weeks now.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 6th 05, 04:23 PM
Michael Lawson

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've resisted the idea of a moderated group, but I confess my
resistance is wearing thin.

I'm not one to advocate off topic posts, but one
thing to think about is that the on topic posts all
would fill a FAQ in their commonality. Consider
that we're about due for another IC-R75 vs. Sat 800
or an IC-R75 vs. R8B or an 7030+ vs. R8B thread
shortly.

I suppose that for variety, we could start a
SX-100 vs. HQ-180A thread. Or a Degen vs. Kaito
thread.

My point is that the on topic posts tend to be
rehashed quite a bit, and if we came up with some
more interesting on topic posts, the S/N ratio would
decline naturally.

--Mike L.