Old September 6th 05, 05:31 AM
SR

Default Audio Device Needed

I would like to improve the audio in my shortwave receiver. I would
like to find a device that I could plug into the headphone hole in the
radio and my headphone to the device.

The type of device I am looking for should have filters and work in SSB.
To help cut down on static, radio and noise. And if it has a tone &
tuning button that will be good too.

How does this work and what could I use?

SR!
Old September 6th 05, 06:48 AM
Rob Mills

"SR" wrote in message

I would like to find a device that I could plug into the headphone hole
in the radio and my headphone to the device.

A roll your own item that caught my eye was in the July/02 issue of QST,
it's an audio equalizer for communication receivers. The circuit board is
available from Far Circuits for $4.50 and a re-print of the QST article is
$1.50. The board is listed in the Far web site under audio filters and is
called "Improved Audio Equalizer" by WB9YBM. RM~

PS, www.farcircuits.net

Old September 6th 05, 07:27 AM
ken chattenton

The type of device I am looking for should have filters and work in SSB.
To help cut down on static, radio and noise. And if it has a tone &
tuning button that will be good too.

How does this work and what could I use?

SR!

Try a 'DSP' filter.
You can buy them now built into an external speaker,....cheers, Ken, G4KIR.

Old September 6th 05, 04:49 PM
John S.

SR wrote:
I would like to improve the audio in my shortwave receiver. I would
like to find a device that I could plug into the headphone hole in the
radio and my headphone to the device.

The type of device I am looking for should have filters and work in SSB.
To help cut down on static, radio and noise. And if it has a tone &
tuning button that will be good too.

How does this work and what could I use?

SR!

Assuming you are looking to clean up voice comms and not music look for
a used Daiwa AF606K audio filter - one of the best performing analog
units I've used. Also look for a used Datong FL3. Finally, MFJ had
made and I presume they still make some decent analog audio filters.

Here's a link to some end user reviews of several digital and analog
audio filters. http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/6