Old September 14th 05, 08:19 PM
Jim Hackett

I often wish that someone would write a newsgroup reader that would let you
filter what you want to SEE, not what you DON'T.
It would take up MUCH less resources to specify what words in the title will
pass and who you want to see messages from...

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Bill wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if shortwave is off topic here.

Bill

We do have a 'troll' problem. There's no doubt about it. I don't
understand the whole process of creating and managing usenet newgroups
very well. However, there are things that can be done about this
problem, if people get sufficiently ticked off. It's sad to imagine
this group as 'moderated', but who knows....maybe that's what it will
take.

Steve

For a newsgroup to be moderated, it has to be done at the time the
newsgroup is created. After it is in wide use there is no way to
change it other than to create a new, moderated newsgroup. The other
approach is for a lot of the users to report, and keep reporting the
worst off topic users to their providers, till they lose their
accounts. That takes a lot of time and a lot of people, but it is the
way newsgroups are supposed to self police themselves. Of course, the
offenders start screaming "NetKop" when it happens, but they are the
ones creating the problem in the first place. I have written this group
off as mostly useless. I don't think there is enough left to save.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old September 15th 05, 12:24 AM
craigm

Jim Hackett wrote:
I often wish that someone would write a newsgroup reader that would let you
filter what you want to SEE, not what you DON'T.
It would take up MUCH less resources to specify what words in the title will
pass and who you want to see messages from...

Take a look at scoring and filtering in Knode.

craigm
Old September 15th 05, 06:12 AM
m II

Jim Hackett wrote:

I often wish that someone would write a newsgroup reader that would let you
filter what you want to SEE, not what you DON'T.
It would take up MUCH less resources to specify what words in the title will
pass and who you want to see messages from...

As far as I know, you can send the messages to any folder you want,
depending on the filters you specify. Nothing says everything you filter
HAS to go to the garbage can.

That's the way with most civilized newsreaders/email agents. I don't
know about Outlook or Outlook Express, as they are virus magnets.
Mozilla or Netscape are fine in this regard.

Go to Tools, Message filters to specify.

mike
Old September 14th 05, 06:47 PM
Mark Zenier

In article .com,
wrote:

Bill wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if shortwave is off topic here.

Bill

We do have a 'troll' problem.

It's more many cases of "I've got testosterone poisoning and I've GOT TO
SHOUT DOWN THE TROLL" problem.

It doesn't work.

Mark Zenier

Old September 15th 05, 05:22 PM

Mark Zenier,maybe you should try some esterone instead?
cuhulin

Old September 14th 05, 02:25 PM
David

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 04:29:27 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder if shortwave is off topic here.

Bill

It's important for our international friends to know we're not all
insane Christo-Fascists here in the USA, and that some of us are
resisting the usurpation of our country.

Old September 14th 05, 04:01 PM

Hmm. Yeah. I'd forgotten that, when our international friends need
reassurance or general insight into America's political climate, the
first and most natural place for them they look is rec.radio.shortwave.
I keep lapsing back into the old belief that this is a hobbyist
newsgroup, when of course its true purpose is to assuage the fears of
our international friends, who are thoroughly dependent upon
rec.radio.shortwave as their primary source of news and information.

In fact, given the vast geopolitical importance of rec.radio.shortwave,
I wonder why you don't hear more about it in the 'mainstream' media, or
why so few posts turn up here from major political figures. Weird.

Old September 14th 05, 05:46 PM

What are you thinking? Don't reply to me! Your time is too valuable and
should be devoted exclusively to saving the world via your posts to
rec.radio.shortwave.