Old September 17th 05, 05:35 PM
Honus

wrote in message
Interesting articles.So perhaps it was the fabric covering of the
Hindenburg that caught fire.

It sure looks that way.

Old September 17th 05, 05:48 PM

"Honus" wrote:

wrote in message
Interesting articles.So perhaps it was the fabric covering of the
Hindenburg that caught fire.

It sure looks that way.

The fabric was covered with Aluminum Paste which a class 3, If you
ever saw it burn in "color" you would know that is what started the
fire.

Old September 17th 05, 06:34 PM

Powered Aluminum and other kinds of powered metals are often used by
movie studios for fire effects in some movies.I once worked at Metal
Trims Industries (a Division of Enryco in Ohio) here in Jackson for
about a year and a half back in the 1970's untill myself and some other
folks got laid off,I went and found me another job after I got laid
off,a better job too.The Company,Metal Trims Industries in Jackson went
out of business not long after that.I worked in the press department at
Metal Trims Industries.There were long round ingots of aluminium and we
used a metal cutting bandsaw to cut off whatever length of ingots as
were required for whichever paticular die was being used/placed into the
press at the time,many,many different dies we used there.There was an
electric heater built into the big horizontal press I worked at and a
hydraulic ram that pushed the heated up aluminum ingot through the
die.The aluminum ingots were extruded/pushed through the die and the
shape of the aluminum extrusions depended on whichever part number of
the dies we used in the press.It didn't take me long to learn how to use
a micrometer and jewelers files to keep the specifications of the dies
in proper shape/condition,sometimes I would have to use a ball peen
hammer and beat around on the face of the dies and file and file some
more untill I got those old worn out dies back into specifications,they
were a pain the ass sometimes,it was all part of the job.We always kept
a lot of sawdust scattered around on the floor area of the press because
sometimes the hot hydraulic fluid from the press would leak on the floor
and start a small fire and we used the sawdust to soak up the oil.You
couldn't be walking around on that crappy old concrete floor if it had
hydraulic fluid on there.I never actually saw any aluminum dust on fire
and burning when I worked there.
cuhulin

Old September 18th 05, 06:10 PM
nothermark

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:34:17 -0500, wrote:

[...]

didn't read the link so this may be OT. Bottom line is I have hear
several sources that think the hydrogen would flash burn much faster
than the Hindenburg film shows. Aluminum works as an accelerator but
needs a lot of heat to start. It may well be that it would not start
in a hydraulic fluid and sawdust fire but would start with a hydrogen
flame as the originating source. Look up thermite and how to make it
if you want interesting examples of burning things we don't think will
burn. Check with Vietnam era miltary about aluminum tank armor that
burned very well once set off.

;-)

Old September 19th 05, 05:49 PM

I take it back,Canadians.The only good Canadian is a DEAD!!! Canadian.No
fooling either,, I am NOT!!! fooling at all.GO TO HELL!!!!!!,,
Canadians!!!!!!,, GO TO
HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
cuhulin

Old September 19th 05, 05:52 PM

m II,, you and Honus still think I mess around with my little female
doggy? y'all are Sick!!!
cuhulin

Old September 20th 05, 11:25 AM
RHF

Cuhulin - Forgive M II - He Can Not Help It
....after all He Is Cana-Duh-ian and usually
spends his Winters Clubing Baby Seals ~ RHF
Old September 20th 05, 05:45 PM

F... a bunch of Seals.My girlfriend in Kirkwood,Missouri (ARADCOM,Scott
Air Force Base,Illinois and SL-60 near Pacific,Missouri) in 1963 owned a
pet Seal,throw a ball at him and he would catch it on his nose every
time and clap his fins and bark like a dog.
cuhulin