Old September 30th 05, 07:35 AM
Cindy

Default Wellbrook Antenna/ Suggestions?

Holy Moly...

I had to look up the radio I was talking about in my "Passport to World Band
Radio". The radio is listed as a Degen DE1102 and/or Kaito KA1102. I found a
new one listed on Ebay for $65 and that includes an AC adapter/charger,
three rechargeable batteries, stereo earbuds, eand external wire antenna for
$75 (includes shipping). At that price I should get one just to let my dog
chew on. Passport rates the radio at three stars out of five. They give the
Sony 7600 three and one eighth stars. $75 for a well rated shortwave set
ready to go straight out of the box? Who said there's no such thing as a
good deal anymore.

Here is the Ebay link:
http://tinyurl.com/bydz3

Here are a few reviews off of Eham:
http://tinyurl.com/ccsec

Hmm... How can I justify yet another radio? Maybe I should get one as a
backup... Yeah... That's it! A backup... That will definitely justify it!

"Cindy" wrote in message
news
You're right Joe... I would tell anybody to not cut corners on an antenna.
wouldn't see anything wrong with buying a $130 Sony 7600 and a $230
Wellbrook antenna. If you wanted a little more elaborate receiver you

could
look at used ham gear and get something pretty decent for just a little

bit
more. I paid $390 for an Icom 703 brand new here a few months back. I

think
you can also get an Icom 718 with DSP for about $500 now. I don't think

it's
a whole lot different than an Icom R75 plus you get a transmitter on the

718
which will require a license. If you are a serious shortwave person (and I
am not) $230 for an antenna is not a lot to spend. If I had more space, I
would put up some really nice wire antennas which are really cheap to

make.

As far as making a loop, if I wanted to do it on the cheap then I could

make
one that would do pretty well. I might even be tempted just to buy the

Sony
7600 and the Sony AN-1 Loop. You could do that whole shootin' match for

less
than $240 and still have a pretty decent (and portable) setup. That's

about
the cost of the Wellbrook. Yeah that sounds like a nice setup and you

might
even put up a wire antenna for $5 dollars more and have two different
antenna setups. That sounds like the way to go for someone looking for
something nice and affordable. Something even cheaper might be that
Degen/Kaito radio everybody is so hot about right now. I think it's about
$80 off of Ebay. Throw in 20 feet of light guage wire and a $1 alligator
clip and you would have something decent and really cheap. If it has an
external antenna output, add another $2 for the plug.

Man is shortwave great or what?

Sorry about rambling on...

P.S. Joe... Again thanks for your earlier input and I will post more when

get the Welbrook.

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear Mike,

I can empathise with you and your thought that you could make one
yourself.

Unfortunately, thus far, many have tried to duplicate the Wellbrook
antennas and all have failed.

Yes the antenna is costly, but when you consider what you spend on a
good receiver, and noting that the antenna is more important than the
receiver in terms of reception, its price looks to be more reasonable.
Also remember that you may buy many receivers over the years, but
you'll buy a Wellbrook only once!

Best,

Joe

Old September 30th 05, 07:14 PM

Cindy wrote:
You're right Joe... I would tell anybody to not cut corners on an antenna. I
wouldn't see anything wrong with buying a $130 Sony 7600 and a $230
Wellbrook antenna.

I have not tested my Wellbrook ALA100 with the Sony 7600G.
I use it primarily (with a 7-meter loop) with the Drake R8.
Not saying that the Wellbrook would be overkill for the Sony
(or other similar portable), but that a medium-high gain antenna
like this would probably overload the Sony under average
circumstances.

I will say: In a few weeks of use, I am convinced that
the Wellbrook is the last active antenna I will
need to buy - I am very happy with it -
especially for MW and LW Dxing from the West Coast of
N.A.

espresso.ts.uvic.ca Receiver reviews and such...
rnewell AT vcn DOT bc DOT ca