Old September 29th 05, 06:50 AM
SR

Default Hammarlund HQ-170

I got a Hammarlund HQ-170. Not the Hammarlund HQ-170A. I am not sure
what the (A) stands for or what is the differences in these models.

The radio is big and it works. I do not have any instructions for it
yet. But I was able to buy a manual, which should come to me sometime soon.

The radio is very sensitive. And it has no speaker. I am using a small
speaker and sometimes headphones. Sometimes it can over power the
speaker and headphones

When I pick up a signal, say a voice, it does not sound as clear. The
sound need to be better clarified. Although I play around with the
buttons, and try to figure out how to better tune in a signal.

The radio has no volume button, so I use the NOISE LIMITER button and RF
botton to adjust the volume acordingly.

There is a AF button but I am not sure what it does. When I bring it up
the signal get stronger.

There is a ANTENNA button, I guess that works like a antenna turner.
Which I also use the MFJ 956. I wonder if I could use them both?

I am not sure what the SLOT/FREG and the SLOT DEPTH buttons are for.

The radio has a few terminal screws in the rear. (A, A, G, 6m and SPKR)
I have two alagator clips on A and A and to a PL 259 coax connector then
too my MFJ 956 tuner then to my antenna switcher then to my homebrew 90
feet coil dipole or to my 8 foot fiberglass whip.

I have the G (I guess this is for gound), on a clamp and to my radiator
pipe.

6m must be for the 50 MHZ! VHF

SPKR is this for 2 speakers or 1?

I plan to find a way to add a rear female coax connector to the back of
the radio so I could better connect it to a PL259 coax.

I wonder if their is a way to add a frequency counter to this radio?

Their is one button missing. Their is a small piece of metal sticking
out under the clock. Is their a way I could set the clock?

Behind the clock their is a rod in the inside and it reaches the back
with a hole. Maybe that is the way to set the clock. Their is another
hole like that on the other side on the SLOT FREQ side. But I do not
see a rod behind it. It their suppose to be one?

Also I notice a few holes in the back and inside a plasic you can turn
with a scew driver. Not sure what that is for.

I hope I could find extra tubes and fused should I ever need them.

And I wonder how others who have this radio feel about it?

73, SR!

Old October 5th 05, 05:02 AM

Jim Hackett wrote:
The AF knob is the volume....

Interesting that SR! didn't pick up on that, since the volume control
on his R-1000 and R-75 are similarly labeled "AF".

Old October 5th 05, 06:23 AM

Sounds complercated to me.
cuhulin

Old October 5th 05, 10:06 PM
Cmdr Buzz Corey

wrote:
Sounds complercated to me.
cuhulin

I think just going to the bathroom sounds complicated to you.

Old October 5th 05, 09:34 PM

Yeah.
cuhulin

Old September 29th 05, 02:48 PM
SR

Hey Jim, yes it has a nice looking 24 hour clock on the upper left
conner. This is just about the largest radio I had ever seen. Other
then maybe military radios.

Do you have a manual for your radio?

Too bad it's not an all band radio. But their is a lot of space in the
inside. I hope in time I could exspand it.

Is the RF button the on/off button for the whole radio?

73 SR!

Old September 29th 05, 07:04 PM
Carter-K8VT

SR wrote:

Do you have a manual for your radio?

You can get a manual on-line for free...

Go to yahoo.com...then do a search for "BAMA"...go to that site...then
go to the "edibis" (sp?) mirror site --it is faster and allows more
users---then go to "Hammarlund"...then choose "HQ-170". At least for the
"C" model, this will give you the complete operators manual as an 82
page .pdf

The radio is very sensitive. And it has no speaker. I am using
a small speaker and sometimes headphones. Sometimes it can over
power the speaker and headphones

When I pick up a signal, say a voice, it does not sound as clear.
The sound need to be better clarified. Although I play around
with the buttons, and try to figure out how to better tune in a
signal.

The radio has no volume button, so I use the NOISE LIMITER button
and RF botton to adjust the volume acordingly.

There is a AF button but I am not sure what it does. When I
bring it up the signal get stronger.

The "AF" is the volume control. Use it. Put the RF control all the way
on. Turn off the noise limiter. Make sure that the "AVC" switch is *not*
in the "off" position (any other position of this switch will be OK to
get you started). Assuming no other problems with the radio (sort of a
big "assume" for a radio of this vintage that has not been restored),
this should go a long way to clearing up your distortion.

SPKR is this for 2 speakers or 1?

left screw is common/ground; Center screw is for 3-8 ohm speaker; right
screw is for 500 ohm "line out".

Also I notice a few holes in the back and inside a plasic you can
turn with a scew driver. Not sure what that is for.

One is for the S-meter "zero-set" Forgot what the other is for. Don't
mess with them until you get the manual.

Good luck...it's not a bad receiver.
Old September 29th 05, 08:14 PM
Jim Hackett

No manual. Don't recal about the RF switch being for the power or not.
Radio is tucked away in a closet.