Old September 29th 05, 07:11 PM
dxAce

Default Hammarlund HQ-170

bpnjensen wrote:

I don't see anything right off hand about a HQ-100X but there was a HQ-120X and that

denoted a crystal filter.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Thinking back, that calibrator might have been an installation by
another owner. In any case, it worked darn well and helped alot,
especially before full warm-up.

The '100 I had also had an add-on calibrator.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 29th 05, 08:14 PM
Jim Hackett

No manual. Don't recal about the RF switch being for the power or not.
Radio is tucked away in a closet.
"SR" wrote in message
Hey Jim, yes it has a nice looking 24 hour clock on the upper left
conner. This is just about the largest radio I had ever seen. Other
then maybe military radios.

Do you have a manual for your radio?

Too bad it's not an all band radio. But their is a lot of space in the
inside. I hope in time I could exspand it.

Is the RF button the on/off button for the whole radio?

73 SR!

Jim Hackett wrote:
Mine is an "A" model. It has a clock. Does yours?

"SR" wrote in message

I got a Hammarlund HQ-170. Not the Hammarlund HQ-170A. I am not sure
what the (A) stands for or what is the differences in these models.

The radio is big and it works. I do not have any instructions for it
yet. But I was able to buy a manual, which should come to me sometime

soon.

The radio is very sensitive. And it has no speaker. I am using a small
speaker and sometimes headphones. Sometimes it can over power the
speaker and headphones

When I pick up a signal, say a voice, it does not sound as clear. The
sound need to be better clarified. Although I play around with the
buttons, and try to figure out how to better tune in a signal.

The radio has no volume button, so I use the NOISE LIMITER button and RF
botton to adjust the volume acordingly.

There is a AF button but I am not sure what it does. When I bring it up
the signal get stronger.

There is a ANTENNA button, I guess that works like a antenna turner.
Which I also use the MFJ 956. I wonder if I could use them both?

I am not sure what the SLOT/FREG and the SLOT DEPTH buttons are for.

The radio has a few terminal screws in the rear. (A, A, G, 6m and SPKR)
I have two alagator clips on A and A and to a PL 259 coax connector then
too my MFJ 956 tuner then to my antenna switcher then to my homebrew 90
feet coil dipole or to my 8 foot fiberglass whip.

I have the G (I guess this is for gound), on a clamp and to my radiator
pipe.

6m must be for the 50 MHZ! VHF

SPKR is this for 2 speakers or 1?

I plan to find a way to add a rear female coax connector to the back of
the radio so I could better connect it to a PL259 coax.

I wonder if their is a way to add a frequency counter to this radio?

Their is one button missing. Their is a small piece of metal sticking
out under the clock. Is their a way I could set the clock?

Behind the clock their is a rod in the inside and it reaches the back
with a hole. Maybe that is the way to set the clock. Their is another
hole like that on the other side on the SLOT FREQ side. But I do not
see a rod behind it. It their suppose to be one?

Also I notice a few holes in the back and inside a plasic you can turn
with a scew driver. Not sure what that is for.

I hope I could find extra tubes and fused should I ever need them.

And I wonder how others who have this radio feel about it?

73, SR!

Old September 29th 05, 08:20 PM
Jim Hackett

Just out of curiousity, what did you pay for yours? I don't recal EXACTLY
but I paid either $20 or $40 for mine at a flea mkt. It was missing the
case screws so it wnted to just slide out of the cabinet. I didn't expect
it to work and was very happy to see it did. Needs alignment badly but is
functional. Oh yea, it has a crack in the clock crystal also...

Old September 29th 05, 08:33 PM

I didn't see any radios at all this afternoon at the Goodwill store.I
bought two old Tootisietoys toy cars (twenty five cents each) and an old
metal Hi Bid folding chair (two dollars for the chair) and a doll.
(three dollars for the doll) I will see if one of my sisters want's the
doll,if not,I reckon I am stuck with the doll.Now y'all can say the old
cuhulin likes to play with dolls,but I don't play with dolls.
cuhulin

Old September 29th 05, 08:57 PM
SR

Hi dxAce: I have the Icom R75, it covers a lot of bands. The
Hammarlund 170 does not have many of the bands I like to listen to, such
as 41m & 49m. And it does not have the part in the rear for the PL259.

I will look around for a Hammarlund 180. If it carries 10m-160m. Also
I notice that the Hammarlund 180 has an openning hatch on the top. This
is cool.

I wonder if these radio were used in the military?

73 SR!

dxAce wrote:

SR wrote:

Hi dxAce, how many different models did the Hammarlund came in? And
which was the lastest or best model?

Good question. Hammarlund made many different models over the years. Which one is the
best? That's something I guess is left up to the individual user.

The model you have, the HQ-170 is an amateur band receiver, and it's counterpart, the
HQ-180 is a general coverage shortwave receiver.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 29th 05, 10:05 PM
D Peter Maus

SR wrote:
Hi dxAce: I have the Icom R75, it covers a lot of bands. The
Hammarlund 170 does not have many of the bands I like to listen to, such
as 41m & 49m. And it does not have the part in the rear for the PL259.

I will look around for a Hammarlund 180. If it carries 10m-160m. Also
I notice that the Hammarlund 180 has an openning hatch on the top. This
is cool.

I wonder if these radio were used in the military?

73 SR!

Hammarlund, like Hallicrafters, Stromberg-Carlson, Motorola and
countless others made radios for the military. And, often, the military
versions were similar to the civilian versions.

I have a Hammarlund BC-794 SuperPro. It's Signal Corps issue. A
military version of SP-200.

Been using it since my grandfather dropped it on me in the early
60's. Been recapped twice, retubed often and at 100 lbs (with power
supply) I've used it to keep the boat from blowing away in a tornado.

It's still one of the finest radios in my stable, and like all real
radios, keeps me warm on winter nights.

Oscar Hammarlund's history, if you're into history at all, is both
wide and deep, and like Bill Halligan, his roots extended deep into the
fabric of Chicago.

Hammarlund's radios were never cheap. Halligan's top of the lines
were 'must buy' by comparison. The last SP-600 incarnations kissed the
neck of $1000. When $1000 could get you into a new VW. The Hammarlund
weighed a little less than the car. But Hammarlund's radios were
exceptionally well built, easily serviced (though not simple radios) and
stellar performers.

Like most radios of their era, they'll work on a crooked wire and a
good intention. But require a well designed and executed antenna to play
at the limits of credibility.

They were also known for their excellent audio character, with many
of the SuperPro line equipped to double as phonograph amplifiers during
RF downtime.

Nice find, your HQ-170.

Old September 30th 05, 01:14 AM
matt weber

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 01:50:01 -0400, SR wrote:

I got a Hammarlund HQ-170. Not the Hammarlund HQ-170A.

A means it has a solid state rectifier instead of the 5u4 high vacuum
rectifier used in the original HQ-170
I am not sure
what the (A) stands for or what is the differences in these models.

The radio is big and it works. I do not have any instructions for it
yet. But I was able to buy a manual, which should come to me sometime soon.

The radio is very sensitive. And it has no speaker. I am using a small
speaker and sometimes headphones. Sometimes it can over power the
speaker and headphones

When I pick up a signal, say a voice, it does not sound as clear. The
sound need to be better clarified. Although I play around with the
buttons, and try to figure out how to better tune in a signal.

Bandwidth is probably set too narrow for AM. HQ170 was designed as an
SSB receiver, so default bandwidth is probably about 2.3Khz, which
will make AM sound like CR*P. Also be careful what you connect to. The
are 3 screws in the back, ground, 3.2 and 500 ohms. The speaker goes
between ground and 3.2 ohm screw.

The radio has no volume button, so I use the NOISE LIMITER button and RF
botton to adjust the volume acordingly.

Has two controls. AF Gain and RF gain. AF gain is the volume control.

There is a AF button but I am not sure what it does. When I bring it up
the signal get stronger.

There is a ANTENNA button, I guess that works like a antenna turner.
Which I also use the MFJ 956. I wonder if I could use them both?

Yes. The front end on the 170 is designed for roughly 100 ohms,
balance or unbalanced. The control is to try to match whatever you
have to the 100 ohms the 170 is looking for

I am not sure what the SLOT/FREG and the SLOT DEPTH buttons are for.

Notch filter. A hole in the passband, you get to decide where it is,
how wide it is, and how deep it is.

The radio has a few terminal screws in the rear. (A, A, G, 6m and SPKR)
I have two alagator clips on A and A and to a PL 259 coax connector then
too my MFJ 956 tuner then to my antenna switcher then to my homebrew 90
feet coil dipole or to my 8 foot fiberglass whip.

the Two A's are for a balanced antenna, such as a folded dipole (300
ohm). SO-239 is for a 50/70 ohm unbalanced antenna like a 1/4 wave
vertical or standard dipole

I have the G (I guess this is for gound), on a clamp and to my radiator
pipe.

Radiatior pipes often make poor Radio Frequency grounds. Metalic cold
water pipe near inlet, or a 'ground' field (copper radials burried in
the back yard).

6m must be for the 50 MHZ! VHF

SPKR is this for 2 speakers or 1?

1 speaker 3.2 ohm usually,. There is a 500 ohm line output used for
things like Phone patches and VOX.

I plan to find a way to add a rear female coax connector to the back of
the radio so I could better connect it to a PL259 coax.

There should already be an SO239 on the back If not, someone removed
it.

I wonder if their is a way to add a frequency counter to this radio?

YOu can, but it is NOT simple especially. First Local oscaillator is
tuned (unusual these days in a triple conversion receiver), and down
converted to 3035Khz. So local oscillator +/- 3035 Khz is the tuned
frequency.

Conversion from 3035 to 455 is via a crystal oscillator, 455 to 60Hz
is a simple L/C circuit. Not real hard to build a very stable 395Khz
L/C oscillator, especially if you are working from a regulated supply
(one of the funny tubes in the HQ170 will glow white/blue when on.
That is a mercury vapor voltage regulator tube...)

Their is one button missing. Their is a small piece of metal sticking
out under the clock. Is their a way I could set the clock?

Behind the clock their is a rod in the inside and it reaches the back
with a hole. Maybe that is the way to set the clock. Their is another
hole like that on the other side on the SLOT FREQ side. But I do not
see a rod behind it. It their suppose to be one?

Also I notice a few holes in the back and inside a plasic you can turn
with a scew driver. Not sure what that is for.

all manner of coils and transformers that can be adjusted. The basic
ones are usually S-meter Zero.

I hope I could find extra tubes and fused should I ever need them.

And I wonder how others who have this radio feel about it?

73, SR!

Reprints of the instruction book can be purchased from
http://www.radioreprints.com/descriptions/hq170.htm

Old September 30th 05, 01:48 AM

I remember seeing two different models of small portable wireless
frequency counters in some Radio Shack catalogs a few years ago.I don't
know if Radio Shack stores still sell them though,perhaps some other
stores sell similar products.
cuhulin

Old September 30th 05, 12:12 PM
Carter-K8VT

Jim Hackett wrote:

Oh yea, it has a crack in the
clock crystal also...

*very* typical problem. Some guy was making repros at one time, but not
sure if he is still in business.
Old September 30th 05, 03:38 PM
SR

Hello guys: Because the radio get hot. I was wondering after turning
it on, how long does the radio needs to take to warm up before I could
use it? And how many hours per night can I use it without blowing a tube
or fuse? I am trying to understand my limmits without abusing it.

Also, I have limmited space, do not want to stack other plasic case
radios on top of a tube radio because it gets hot. However, could I
stack a tube radio on top of another tube radio? The idea is that since
both radios are mostly made out of metal and they get hot anyway, I
would think the radio on top should be able to take the heat from the
bottom radio.

Of course if I were to stack tube radios like that I would have a little
space in between them so heat could escape. I wonder if wooden shelves
can absorb heat?

Also, could I have a tube radio near my computer monitor or CPU? I
don't have it near because I am trying to advoid interference by near by
electronics.

I would have to find a way to add a fan to the Hammarlund 170.

73, SR!