Old October 3rd 05, 10:44 PM

Default USS Missouri and R-390A

I know St.Louis as well as I know the back o' me hand,as well as I know
me home here in Jackson,Mississippi.I used to have me a girlfriend who
lived in Kirkwood,Missouri.(St.Louis metro area,West/Southside down Big
Bend Blvd) USS Missouri needs to be at the St.Louis Riverfront (I can't
afford to go to Hawaii) so I can step up (I live about 500 miles South
[[South is always best]] of St.Louis) the Mississippi River and visit
(that ain't no hill for a stepper like me to climb) USS
Missouri.Besides,in Hawaii,there aren't nothing mostly but Pineapples.
cuhulin

Old October 3rd 05, 11:25 PM

Good on yer,,, dxAce,,, you salty old U.S.Navy dude.I Salute you,Sir!
One hand snappy Salute,, throw it off like a hot potato.
An old guy was once Horseshoeing a Horse,, that Horse liked to bite him
on his shoulder.He put a hot potato under his shirt,, he cured that
Horse.
cuhulin

Old October 4th 05, 03:14 AM
Brian Denley

wrote:
I want to see the USS Missouri pictures too.
cuhulin

No problem but that link you posted had them all, even the radio I
photographed last week.

I refer to
www.devilfinder.com USS Missouri Photos Radios

Do you still want me to send the one I took?

--
Brian Denley

Old October 4th 05, 03:25 AM
Brian Denley

wrote:
I want to see the USS Missouri pictures too.
cuhulin

No problem but the link you posted:
www.devilfinder.com USS Missouri
Photos Radios
had all the same photos that I took. Do you still want me to send mine to
you?

--
Brian Denley

Old October 4th 05, 03:29 AM
Brian Denley

dxAce wrote:
wrote:

I don't know where USS Missouri was built,(but I sure am going to
www.devilfinder.com it)

New York Naval Shipyard.

I've was on board the Iowa and the Wisconsin several times when they
were in mothballs in Philadelphia (though we had to sneak on board).

dxAce
Michigan
USA

The story behind the choice of the USS Missouri as the ship used to accept
the Japanese surrender is interesting: FDR had chosen the USS Pennsylvania
for that purpose before he died since there was no USS New York (his state)
and Penn was the nearesty state with a battleship. After FDR died and
Truman became president, Harry changed the designated ship to the USS
Missouri for the obvious reason that he was from that state. Presidential
privilege!

--
Brian Denley

Old October 6th 05, 01:14 AM
Michael Taylor

Actually this radio was overhauled by Rick Mish. I donated it to the USS
Missouri as the radio room looked positively gutted by the navy. I donated
several other radios of different times historically to try to help out a
very good cause. I have not had the chance to get to Honolulu and see the
final result but would be interested in stories from visitors

Mike Taylor
AL1N

"John Plimmer" wrote in message
Hi Brian,
I would love to see a picture(s) of the radio room on the Missouri
Please e-mail to me by removing nospam
or have you posted the pic on your website?

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

"Brian Denley" wrote in message
Visited the USS Missouri at Pearl Harbor last week. In the giant ship's
communication center, I saw an R-390A prominently featured in the radio
stack. This ship was refitted during the 80's for $500 million. I
suppose the Collins was integrated at that time. I have a picture if
anyone's interested.

--
Brian Denley

Old October 6th 05, 04:15 AM
Brian Denley

Michael Taylor wrote:
Actually this radio was overhauled by Rick Mish. I donated it to the
USS Missouri as the radio room looked positively gutted by the navy.
I donated several other radios of different times historically to try
to help out a very good cause. I have not had the chance to get to
Honolulu and see the final result but would be interested in stories
from visitors
Mike Taylor
AL1N

Mike:
I was there in September. The 'radio room' is in what the tour guide
referred to as the 'command and communications center' or something like
that. I have sevral pics of that room if you're interested. The entire
setup looked pretty nice with lots of electronics and navigation gear. As
an SWLer, the R-390A caught my eye immediately.
Brian

--
Brian Denley