Old October 3rd 05, 02:07 PM
LS

Default Grundig and Eton Not Powering Up-Help!

Hi Everyone,

I had a Grundig YachtBoy 300 that I bought about 5 years ago. Loved it!
However, one day after about two years of sporadic use (only used it
maybe three times a year) it just stopped working. I tried to get it to
power up and nothing. Then all of a sudden it would work, out of the
blue. This happened with battery and AC. I thought it was a rare
lemon...

Then a few months ago I bought the eton e100, similar features and
size. Loved it for three days and then it would not power up. Again, it
would sometimes go on and then most of the time it would not. To make
matters worse, I just tried it again and it would not power off-it just
stuck there. Nothing would work at all.

In both units I tried replacing the batteries, reset them tons of
times, the whole nine yards.

I am so unhappy with Grundig/Eton that I swear never to buy one again
(just got a Sony ICF SW35 and it works well so far

However, my question is this-am I the only one with this issue? Can
anyone guide me to what the possible problem may be?

Thanks

LS

Old October 3rd 05, 02:42 PM
David

On 3 Oct 2005 06:07:59 -0700, "LS" wrote:

[...]

Do you have wool carpet? Are you in a very dry environment?

Old October 3rd 05, 03:43 PM

Only guessing,it might be a defective OFF/ON switch.I don't own one
though.Too much money for the amount of bread for me.
cuhulin

Old October 3rd 05, 04:39 PM
LS

Thanks for your replies.

I do have some carpets that are wool and yes it has been dry (I hate
gotten shocks in the past). However, in the second case that would not
be the source...didn't have carpets there at all and it was a humid
summer

I find it odd that both have the same issue. When I looked on ebay I
saw others that would not go on either. I just wondered if there was a
special trick to getting them back from the dead or whether they had
faulty switches.

Tried to find an email for Grundig on their web site, no real luck as
it was not clear if they even wanted customers to email them...not a
good sign

Cheers

LS

Old October 3rd 05, 05:05 PM
David

On 3 Oct 2005 08:39:13 -0700, "LS" wrote:

Thanks for your replies.

I do have some carpets that are wool and yes it has been dry (I hate
gotten shocks in the past). However, in the second case that would not
be the source...didn't have carpets there at all and it was a humid
summer

I find it odd that both have the same issue. When I looked on ebay I
saw others that would not go on either. I just wondered if there was a
special trick to getting them back from the dead or whether they had
faulty switches.

Tried to find an email for Grundig on their web site, no real luck as
it was not clear if they even wanted customers to email them...not a
good sign

Cheers

LS

Sounds like a uP lockup issue. Is there a ''reset'' button somewhere?
If not, try removing all power for a few minutes.

Any strong magnetic or RF around? Are you next to the elevator
motors?

Old October 3rd 05, 05:10 PM

Sometimes,on some electronic thingys,if you remove the batteries and
push each button at least two times (that is suppose to somehow reset
the electronic thingy) and then put the batteries back in,that sometimes
works.
cuhulin

Old October 3rd 05, 08:23 PM

wrote:
Only guessing,it might be a defective OFF/ON switch.

That's what happened on my Sony ICF-SW7600G. The little slide on the
power lock would not properly engage the switch. Fixed by making a
small mechanical adjustment.