Old October 5th 05, 01:20 AM
SR

Default Band Spreads in Vintage radios

I find it rather interesting that certain sw vintage radio you have a
knob called Band Spread. Take the Hallicrafters SX-100. It has two
large half moon windows. The one on the right is for the Band Spread.
Now their is another knob to select the band, but you still have to tune
in on the Band Spread knob. Then you fine tune with the left.

I guess thats how that work. It can get a little confussing. However,
I think some how their is an advantage to this.

The Hammarlund 170 does not have this type of Band Spread. I think the
Hummarlund 180 and 180 ac has it. Is that correct?

It would really be cool if their was a way to add a frq counter.

SR!
Old October 5th 05, 01:29 AM
SR

Also, can part from the Hallicrafters SX-100, Hammarlund 170, 180,
180 AC work with each other? How about tubes?

What would be a good book to read for someone who know little about
radio tube? I hope their is a Dummy Book!

And do they still make dial mechanisms and tubes for vintage radio?

Old October 5th 05, 04:37 AM
RHF

CBC - Those were the Days (Late Nights) - Ah Memories ! ~ RHF
Old October 5th 05, 04:38 AM
Caveat Lector

For an easy vacuum tube theory site see URL:
http://www.geocities.com/tube_theory/Tubeeng.html

Many tubes are available only 10 million or so -- see URL:
https://vacuumtubes.net/

A better news group for old radio stuff is rec.antiques.radio+phono
http://www.xs4all.nl/~tgale/oradio/

Old radio parts are available from http://www.tubesandmore.com/ click on

Radio Parts & Restoration, speakers, etc.

ABOUT Bandspreads
Think of the Main dial as a coarse tuning control
The bandspread as a fine tuning control
These are analog tuned radios (not digitally tuned) making the scheme
necessary

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old October 5th 05, 04:47 AM
Cmdr Buzz Corey

SR wrote:
I find it rather interesting that certain sw vintage radio you have a
knob called Band Spread. Take the Hallicrafters SX-100. It has two
large half moon windows. The one on the right is for the Band Spread.
Now their is another knob to select the band, but you still have to tune
in on the Band Spread knob. Then you fine tune with the left.

I guess thats how that work. It can get a little confussing. However,
I think some how their is an advantage to this.

The Hammarlund 170 does not have this type of Band Spread. I think the
Hummarlund 180 and 180 ac has it. Is that correct?

It would really be cool if their was a way to add a frq counter.

SR!

The band spread is used for the fine tuning. On some communications
receivers there is a mark on the main tuning dial to set it to for the
various ham band frequencies, and the band spread will be marked with
the ham frequencies only on a much more spread out scale than the main
tuning scale. When you set the main tuning on the mark for the ham band
then the band spread should read correctly for that particular ham band.

Old October 5th 05, 04:57 AM
Cmdr Buzz Corey

SR wrote:
Also, can part from the Hallicrafters SX-100, Hammarlund 170, 180,
180 AC work with each other? How about tubes?

What would be a good book to read for someone who know little about
radio tube? I hope their is a Dummy Book!

You might like the book "Fixing Up Nice Old Radios", by Ed Romney.
http://www.edromney.com/products.html

And do they still make dial mechanisms and tubes for vintage radio?

There are still pleanty of tubes around for vintage radios.