Old October 5th 05, 04:48 PM
Caveat Lector

Default Another question of the day (Q4)

Sometimes we say a station is at 9680 kiloHertz (kHz)
Another time we say this station is on 31 meters.
What gives?
--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old October 5th 05, 04:58 PM

I used to charge one dollar per question,,, my rates done went up to a
dollar two nienty eight per question.The luverly auld woman at the gas
station,,, I said,, On Fridays the Clarion Ledger
www.clarionledger.com news papers are Free,aren't they? She said,, On
the eighth day of every week,they are Free.
cuhulin

Old October 5th 05, 05:51 PM
bpnjensen

Sometimes we say a station is at 9680 kiloHertz (kHz)
Another time we say this station is on 31 meters.
What gives?

Boy, you got a lot questions!

9,680 kHz, or 9,680,000 Hz, is the frequency of the radio signal, equal
to the number of radio waves that pass a point, or enter one's
antenna/radio system, in one second.

31m is the approximate wavelength of that radio wave at that frequency,
and can be used to refer to all frequencies in the 9.5 to 9.9 MHz band
(nowadays extended as far as 9.2 and 10 MHz at the ends). In days gone
by, many old radios (and old timers) identified their location on the
"dial" by wavelength; some stations still use both frequency and
wavelength in their station IDs. The use of digital readout has almost
obviated this nomenclature, except for those who use boatanchors or
other cool old-time equipment.

As it turns out, a wave at frequency 9,680 kHz is almost exactly 31m
long, and almost the precise "center" of the band.

My question is - do you really want to know, or is this a test?

Or, are you just trying to say something on-topic (I admit, a
significant feat for anyone who is a part of this bunch...)

Bruce Jensen

Old October 5th 05, 05:59 PM
David

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 08:48:04 -0700, "Caveat Lector"
wrote:

Sometimes we say a station is at 9680 kiloHertz (kHz)
Another time we say this station is on 31 meters.
What gives?

Meters times Megahertz equals 300.

Old October 5th 05, 06:02 PM
Caveat Lector

Hi Bruce -- I know the answers -- u guessed it - just stirring up some On
Topic discussions
Should be of interest to some of the newer folks
And is interesting to read the answers and guesses

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

ups.com...

Old October 5th 05, 07:25 PM

Caveat Lector wrote:
Sometimes we say a station is at 9680 kiloHertz (kHz)
Another time we say this station is on 31 meters.
What gives?
--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

UALLBew:

- well, if you say " Theres a great signal in the 31 meter band"
it's kind of like saying

" Theres this great restaurant in Downtown Cleveland"

However, if you say

" Found a great signal playing Arabian Square Dance Music on 9860"
- someone wil have a clue as to what yer talking about and be able to
locate said signal..

Suppose Referring to meter bands is OK if your referring to general
reception conditins in your local..

Alamand Left ...

~H~

Old October 5th 05, 07:33 PM
Caveat Lector

wrote in message
oups.com...

Caveat Lector wrote:
Sometimes we say a station is at 9680 kiloHertz (kHz)
Another time we say this station is on 31 meters.
What gives?
--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

UALLBew:

- well, if you say " Theres a great signal in the 31 meter band"
it's kind of like saying

" Theres this great restaurant in Downtown Cleveland"

However, if you say

" Found a great signal playing Arabian Square Dance Music on 9860"
- someone wil have a clue as to what yer talking about and be able to
locate said signal..

Suppose Referring to meter bands is OK if your referring to general
reception conditins in your local..

Alamand Left ...

~H~

Didn't say "31Meter band"

But wavelength = 300 / frequency in MHz

So 300 divided by 9.680 MHz = 30.99 Meters

Close Enough ?

BTW There are NO great restaurants in Downtown Cleveland
Lived there but things may have changed (;-)

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !