Old October 17th 05, 11:47 PM

Default Using the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA) with your 'portable' AM...

Give me a Sony any time.I already tried out two Sangeans from ccrane.I
packed them up and I sent them back to ccrane via UPS.
cuhulin

Old October 17th 05, 11:48 PM

I wish my antenna was longer.
cuhulin

Old October 18th 05, 05:07 AM
RHF

Default Setting-Up the Sony ICF-SW7600GR with the Select-A-Tenna on a Lazy Susan for AM/MW DXing

Steve,

Setting-Up the Sony ICF-SW7600GR with the Select-A-Tenna
on a Lazy Susan for AM/MW DXing.

Are you using the Select-A-Tenna and the Sony ICFSW7600GR
Positioned correctly on a Lazy Susan with the middle of the
backside of the Select-A-Tenna placed against the Left-End-Side
of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR ?

Visualize - That 'together' they sort of form a "T"
laying flat when seen from the Top.

Note - The Sony ICFSW7600GR should be Standing-Up
(Vertically) on it's Bottom.

The Sweet Spot - Then if needed you can adjust the "Coupling"
between the Select-A-Tenna and the Sony ICFSW7600GR by
creating a "GAP" (Space) between the two. Move it about a
Half Inch at a Time and try several "Distant" AM/MW Radio
Stations that are all across the AM/MW Band.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
Old October 19th 05, 12:34 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Default Using the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA) with your 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio

Dear David,

I too have a Sangean ATS-606AP though it's "retired" now; its
microprocessor was starting to "go" - the internal quality of Sangean
radios is not all it should be, at least in my experience with two
Taiwan-made units (the '606AP and an '818A. Formerly my travel radio,
the Sangean has been replaced by one of my Sony ICF-SW7600G receivers.

However, while my '606 was still functioning properly, I tried using
the Sangean wind-up antenna (via its 3.5mm plug), a Sony AN-LP1, and an
AOR WL-500 Window Loop.

While the wind-up antenna didn't improve things very much, the AN-LP1
and the WL-500 improved reception noticeably; the WL-500 was superior
to the AN-LP1.

I certainly wouldn't suggest that you buy one of the above just on my
say-so, but if you have an acquaintance who has one of them, why not
try it? I think that you will indeed notice a major improvement in your
radio's performance.

My Sony ICF-SW7600G and 'GR models are easily as sensitive (if not more
so)
with the whip as the Sangean ATS-606A and the Sony's synchronous
selectable sideband circuity makes listening much more pleasurable.

Any radio's reception will improve with a suitable auxiliary antenna.

Best,

Joe

Old October 19th 05, 08:19 AM
RHF

Default Usually a 'shorter' 30-35 Foot long Random Wire Antenna works better with most 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios

David,

I would agree that most of today's 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios
work much better with a 'shorter' Random Wire Antennas about 30-35
Feet long. When a 100 Foot Antenna is used often the 'portable'
AM/FM Shortwave Radios exhibit signal overload and image problems.

IMHO - If the Random Wire Antenna uses a Matching Transformer and
Coax Cable Feed-in-Line then the Length of the Wire Antenna Element
can be extended to 45-60 Feet.

iane ~ RHF

Old October 26th 05, 01:53 AM
RHF

Default FYI - Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio with AN-LP1 Active Loop Antenna

For One and All,

There is a Sony ICF-SW7600GR 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio with the
Sony AN-LP1 Active Loop Antenna currently on eBay.

eBay Auction Item Number : 5823221447

Looks like a complete ready-to-go 'portable' Shortwave Radio with
Active Shortwave Loop Antenna for the SWL Traveller on-the-go.

fyi ~ RHF