Old October 22nd 05, 08:22 AM
SR

Default Figuring out radio locations by area

I am located in New York City and I located a commercial radio station
in Toronto CKLW AM 800 KHZ.

On a simple map I roughly conculated that the distance is 800-1000 miles
away. However, if I am able to pick up that far away on a medium wave
am band, I should be able to pick up a lot of other stations by area.

That should cover parts of Virginia, West Virginia, Baltimore
Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Mass, Vermont, Conn, New Hamp, Maine
& RI. On the other side of the map is the Atlantic Ocean from my location.

Taking in consideration this station in Toronto is not using a repeater.
And trying to figure out how much wattage power their transmitting.

I wish I had a map where my location was in the middle of the map. And
I would like to learn how to go about learning this type of geographic
science for radio purposes. This way I can figure out which dx on
medium wave I can look for.

Is their a word in doing this with a map & compass?

SR
Old October 22nd 05, 03:36 PM

It is 347 miles from New York City to Toronto,Canada.
www.devilfinder.com Find Distance
www.indo.com/distance
cuhulin

Old October 22nd 05, 03:51 PM

You can buy a large map of America (foreign countries too,or look them
up at online book stores) at a book store and get a pin and string and
pencil,or use two pencils instead of a pin.Put the pin in the center of
your home town (on the map) and use that as a simple compass to get the
miles distance from your home town to other towns/cities.Rand McNally
Road Atlases have a map page with the miles distance from major cities
to other major cities.Rand McNally Road Atlases are sold in book stores
and Wal Mart stores and and similar department stores.Rand McNally Road
Atlases are great to have.I bought a new Rand McNally Road Atlas for
$4.97 a few years ago because my dog ate the Oklahoma/Oregon page out of
my old Rand McNally Road Atlas when she was a little puppy.
cuhulin

Old October 23rd 05, 03:18 AM
Brian Running

I am located in New York City and I located a commercial radio station
in Toronto CKLW AM 800 KHZ.

Windsor, Ontario, ain't it?

Old October 23rd 05, 03:14 AM
dxAce

Brian Running wrote:

I am located in New York City and I located a commercial radio station
in Toronto CKLW AM 800 KHZ.

Windsor, Ontario, ain't it?

Yes.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 23rd 05, 03:42 AM

Yeah,Ford Motor Company has a factory or two in
Windsor,Ontario,Canada.Maybe they have a Mercury factory somewhere
around there too.My 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria pimpmobile car was made
in Canada.That's what a decal/sticker thingy on the car says.
cuhulin

Old October 23rd 05, 06:07 AM
Tony Meloche

Brian Running wrote:
I am located in New York City and I located a commercial radio station
in Toronto CKLW AM 800 KHZ.

Windsor, Ontario, ain't it?

Sure is. I grew up in Detroit, and CKLW 800 is indeed in Windsor.

Tony

Old July 4th 06, 05:14 AM
Junior Member

Cool

Amazing that you can pick that station up so close to WABC but only at night. You also should be able to hear WHDH Boston, WKBW or whatever replaced it in Buffalo, WHAT in Louisville KY WBT in NC

----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----[/quote]
Old October 22nd 05, 06:53 PM
Mark Zenier

In article , SR wrote:
I am located in New York City and I located a commercial radio station
in Toronto CKLW AM 800 KHZ.

On a simple map I roughly conculated that the distance is 800-1000 miles
away. However, if I am able to pick up that far away on a medium wave
am band, I should be able to pick up a lot of other stations by area.

If you go to www.fcc.gov, you can find web pages that give you searches
into the FCC database that give you all the stations' data, including
latitude and longitude down to a tenth of a second (I think that's about
10 feet or so).

I used the one for FM radio a couple of weeks ago. I think it
was http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/default.htm and look for a link
that says "AM Query" or something like that. (I used the FM Query
where you give it your latitude and longitude in deg/min/sec and
it will tell you all the stations out to a given radius. Maximum
400 miles, or something like that).

You get back a cryptic table of stuff, but the azimuth in degrees
and the distance in miles is useful.

Mark Zenier