Old October 30th 05, 02:25 AM

Default Running a radio from a large rechargeable cell or battery

But when you are connecting or disconnecting things from the wet cell
battery terminals,you have to think about just what one spark can or
could do.

But goes back to common sense. You unplug the power from
the *radio* first, then unplug the charger, then you can unhook
the terminal connections with no spark. Yes, the deep cycles
can be heavy cuz they often have more plates. When I buy
batteries, I always go for the largest , and heaviest among a
certain price range. Usually, they will tend to be the most
capacity. The sealed batteries, gel cells, etc, are fine, but they
cost too much vs the regular marine deep cycles.
I think the one I bought about a month ago was hummm, maybe
60-65 bucks...I fergot... Another thing about the deep cycles is
they can sub out in the vehicles no problem if one of my auto
batteries die..
MK

Old October 30th 05, 03:32 AM

I once considered buying a deep cycle battery about ten years ago for my
old van.I don't remember exactly how the guy at the Sears store
explained it to me,but the gist of it was it is not a good idea to use a
deep cycle battery in place of a regular non deep cycle battery in my
van.Something about the alternator or voltage regulator would cause the
deep cycle battery to overheat and burst.He seemed to know what he was
talking about,so I bought a regular car type battery for my van.
cuhulin