Old November 12th 05, 05:24 AM

Default Back to the Cubic Radios.

What would be a reasonable price for such a radio and what models should
I look for,for great dxing on shortwave and AM/MW bands?
cuhulin

Old November 12th 05, 08:25 AM

I have a book I can dig up on all those obscure military radios that
has estimated prices. However, there is little to be gained to buying
military gear other than for collector purposes. Most people get
Racals, but really, it would make more sense to buy a AR7030 plus.

Mil gear is good if you need it rugged (shock), extended temperature,
etc. Now most mil gear have good filters, but there is nothing
preventing you from putting good filters in the AR7030. It can handle
two extra filters. I put in two crystal filters (cw and sideband). I
suppose if you just have to have a Collins filter, you can buy the mil
gear.

I'm sure you have see this beast
http://www.dxing.com/rx/ra6790.htm
I've seen them go for about a thousand at the local flea market. If
memory serves me right, the keyboard are a flexible membrane type that
is not very reliable. Remember, these radios are pushing 20 years.

If you want "cool", pick up an old selective level meter and use it as
a radio.