Old November 18th 05, 04:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
alan

Default shortwave quiz question

I work on a newspaper in Cumbria and we run a weekly quiz. This week
one of the questions is: "How many short wave wavebands are there?" And
the quizmaster's answer is: Nine. Is he right? I thought there were
dozens of them?! Anyone able to confirm or deny the quizmaster or come
up with a right answer? Many thanks

Old November 18th 05, 05:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article .com,
"alan" wrote:

I work on a newspaper in Cumbria and we run a weekly quiz. This week
one of the questions is: "How many short wave wavebands are there?" And
the quizmaster's answer is: Nine. Is he right? I thought there were
dozens of them?! Anyone able to confirm or deny the quizmaster or come
up with a right answer? Many thanks

There is at least 14 SWBC bands:
120
90
75
60
49
41
31
25
22
19
16
15
13
11

There are more SW bands for different uses though.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old November 18th 05, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yes,there are many more Shortwave Bands for different uses.I have a link
to them somewhere,I will see if I can find that link.
cuhulin

Old November 18th 05, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Caveat Lector

Standard answer is 15 bands
See em at URL:

http://ac6v.com/swl.htm#SWG
--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

oups.com...

Old November 18th 05, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Silfax

On 2005-11-18, alan wrote:
I work on a newspaper in Cumbria and we run a weekly quiz. This week
one of the questions is: "How many short wave wavebands are there?" And
the quizmaster's answer is: Nine. Is he right? I thought there were
dozens of them?! Anyone able to confirm or deny the quizmaster or come
up with a right answer? Many thanks

If he was confusing short wave with ham, then the answer could be 9
120,80,40,30,20,17,15,12,10 (but only if you consider 120m as sw, and not mw)

Old November 18th 05, 07:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Arthur Harris

"Silfax" wrote:
If he was confusing short wave with ham, then the answer could be 9
120,80,40,30,20,17,15,12,10 (but only if you consider 120m as sw, and not
mw)

You mean 160 meters, and yes that is mf. But there's also a "band" around
5MHz now (actually disrete channels).

Art N2AH

Old November 18th 05, 07:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Caveat Lector

Well you can search the ITU Frequency allocations and end up in a loop

But here is a difinitive answer (I think)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave

As I posted before -- 15 bands

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

oups.com...

Old November 18th 05, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Silfax

On 2005-11-18, Arthur Harris wrote:
"Silfax" wrote:
If he was confusing short wave with ham, then the answer could be 9
120,80,40,30,20,17,15,12,10 (but only if you consider 120m as sw, and not
mw)

You mean 160 meters, and yes that is mf. But there's also a "band" around
5MHz now (actually disrete channels).

Yes I did mean 160m -- its been a long day already,
and I don't do 60m (or 160m) myself

Alex/AB2RC
Old November 21st 05, 09:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
alan

MANY thanks to everyone for their help. I shall amend our quiz answer
accordingly! - Alan

"Shortwave is actually experiencing a resurgence" Mike Terry Shortwave 22 April 29th 05 03:54 AM
ShortWave Log Question? Jim Douglas Shortwave 5 November 17th 04 11:28 PM
Shortwave question Brent Shortwave 20 November 1st 04 08:20 AM
Ireland, Denmark and Norway leaving shortwave Mike Terry Shortwave 3 January 2nd 04 10:59 PM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? LLOYD DAVIES N0VFP General 0 July 4th 03 04:21 PM