Old November 18th 05, 11:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default Cleaning and Protecting 'old' and "New" Coax Connectors for Use / In Use {Maintenance}

For One and All,

Cleaning and Protecting 'old' and "New" Coax Connectors for Use
and for In-Use {Maintenance}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/6583

IMHO - Less is Better.

First - The Outer Threaded Area of a PL-259 Plug and SO-239 Jack
will generally give you ample Mechanical and Electrical Contact
Area for a Very Good Electrical Connection.

Second - Inner Male and Female Mating Pins is where you should
focus your attention. The Inner Male and Female Mating Pins
of the PL-259 Plug and SO-239 Jack represent a smaller [Hidden]
Contact Area that should be cleaned prior to Assembling the
PL-259 Plug to the SO-239 Jack. This is the Critical Coax Cable
"Connection" - IMHO - That needs to be Cleaned and Protected.

FWIW - I have usually used some DeOxIt ! type Spray-On
Contract Cleaner with a "Q" Tip
RadioShack Catalog # 64-4338 = http://tinyurl.com/9e52r

READ - Contact Cleaners, Protectors & Enhancers for Electronics
CLEANER = http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/cleaner.htm
In the Search for the Ultimate Cleaners, Cleaning Methods,
and Protectors . . .

DeoxIT Brand { De Ox It ! } :
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f
- Contact cleaner, conductivity enhancer and lubricant.
- Dissolves oxidation and corrosion on metal surfaces.
- Fills in microscopic gaps and reseals surface for
better contact and an enhanced flow of electricity.

NOTE - This general advise also applies to BNC and "F" and
other 'connectors' as well.

clean - it's about making the connection - iane ~ RHF
..
..
.. .
= = = In ,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/6574
= = = "Rob Mills" r*bm*lls@... wrote:

I have heard "use em as they are, it won't hurt anything"
but it still bugs me. I have a considerable amount of old
connectors and a lot of them have turned black. I've tried
everything I can think of (baking soda, silver cleaner,
ultrasonic bath and etc) but no luck.

Any one have a secret fix???

RM~
.
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Все *адушны ! - - - Группа оператора
на приеме коротковолнового диапазона
Radio для Aнтенн SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = = Translation = = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.
.
.. .