Old November 19th 05, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Hill

Default PassPort 2006 ?

I just bought this and noticed all the Eaton and E1 ads. I counted 18 plus
the review. Gee talk about overkill.

--

Regards
B.H.

Brian's Basement
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Old November 19th 05, 05:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Brian Hill wrote:
I just bought this and noticed all the Eaton and E1 ads. I counted 18 plus
the review. Gee talk about overkill.

--

Regards
B.H.

Brian's Basement
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

I noticed that last year too. That Eton continues to be the shortwave
radio advertiser in PWBR says a lot about how this hobby has shrunk.
It also makes me wonder how they can give an independent opinion about
Eton products given that most of their ad revenue comes from Eton.

Old November 19th 05, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Hill

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian Hill wrote:
I just bought this and noticed all the Eaton and E1 ads. I counted 18
plus
the review. Gee talk about overkill.

--

Regards
B.H.

Brian's Basement
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

I noticed that last year too. That Eton continues to be the shortwave
radio advertiser in PWBR says a lot about how this hobby has shrunk.
It also makes me wonder how they can give an independent opinion about
Eton products given that most of their ad revenue comes from Eton.

I agree.

BH

Old November 21st 05, 03:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Lawson

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian Hill wrote:
I just bought this and noticed all the Eaton and E1 ads. I

counted 18
plus
the review. Gee talk about overkill.

--

Regards
B.H.

Brian's Basement
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

I noticed that last year too. That Eton continues to be the

shortwave
radio advertiser in PWBR says a lot about how this hobby has

shrunk.
It also makes me wonder how they can give an independent opinion

about
Eton products given that most of their ad revenue comes from Eton.

I agree.

They had no problem ripping the S350 a new one
for shortwave performance. About the only good
thing they said about it was that it had good sound.

--Mike L.

Old November 21st 05, 04:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Michael Lawson wrote:
"Brian Hill" wrote in message

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian Hill wrote:
[...]

Designating the 350 Editors Choice isn't exactly comparable to having a
new hole ripped in ones posterior.

Old November 28th 05, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Lawson

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Michael Lawson wrote:
"Brian Hill" wrote in message

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian Hill wrote:
[...]

Where it counts, it did. The review admitted that the 350
got the editor's choice because it had the best audio
south of a Sat 800, not because it was a single conversion
powerhouse. In the shortwave reception department,
the improvement from 2005 to 2006 was that it's a bit
more stable, but it still has images and in the modern
day and age, a $150 single conversion receiver is a bit
cheap. Hell, my DX-440 is a double conversion receiver,
and it ran for $199 (or $149 on sale) back in 1989, with
(nowadays) older technology. The fact that in the
guts of the receiver the only thing going for it are
looks and sound does not bode well. You take away
the sound, you take away the Editor's Choice designation.

--Mike L.

Old November 19th 05, 08:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yes, that's a good question, isn't it? I know the Monitoring Times
reveiw of the E1, although it was postive, was nowhere near as positive
as the one in Passport.

Old November 19th 05, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:00:21 -0600, "Brian Hill"
wrote:

I just bought this and noticed all the Eaton and E1 ads. I counted 18 plus
the review. Gee talk about overkill.

That means they'll be giving them away at the CES this January.
Thanks for the heads-up.