Old November 20th 05, 02:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lucifigus

Default Longwave Reception - Northeast ??

Does anybody along the eastern seaboard regularly receive longwave
broadcasts from Europe? If so, with what antenna? I keep thinking
that from Nova Scotia, I should be able to get the odd station from
time to time, but I never have. I use a Lowe 225E with a 13 meter
random wire, grounded with a unun and coax feed into my third floor
flat.

I have been thinking of purchasing the Wellbrook LFL 1010 which is
apparently optimized for long and medium wave. There seems to be a
lack of any reference to this antenna. Does anyone have any knowledge
or experience with this or other commercially available loops for
longwave reception?

Gary Weber
Halifax, NS

Old November 20th 05, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I don't know,but here is a website about Longwave. www.lwca.org
cuhulin

Old November 21st 05, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default Think about Longwave (LW) and AM/MW Radio Reception and Mobile {Car} DXing

GW,

Think about Longwave (LW) and AM/MW Radio Reception and Mobile {Car}
DXing
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/6610

If you can go Mobile with your Radio or another radio in a Car
or Trunk an go to a local Beach with about 500 Feet of Insulated
# 14 AWG 19 Strand Wire.
- - - Bring some Hot Coffee/Tea and a few Donuts/Snacks.
- - - Dress Warm and have a Blanket or two.
- - - Bring alone a Good LED Light or two.
- - - Make sure the Car has a Full Tank of Gas.
- - - Leave the Wife, Kids and Pets at Home.
- - - Put a Big Sign in the Rear Window that reads :
"DX Radio Listener" or "Amateur Radio Operator"
- - - Put and old Magnet Mount CB Antenna on the Roof
of the Car for 'looks' )

If you don't have a Beach nearby but have a Hill with some
open land and a gentle slope towards Europe. Find a place
to park near the Top-of-the-Hill. Start by leaving about
15-20 feet extra at the Top and run the Wire Down the Hill
as far as you can go.
- - - Do this during the Day so that you can see
where you are going and what you are doing.
- - - Enjoy the Walk back UP the Hill )

READ - Car DXing - by Hans Johnson
http://www.anarc.org/naswa/issues/0898/swc0898.html

Run the Wire out along the Beach in the general direction
of Europe connect it to your Radio and just Tune and Listen.
- - - Please have the Car Engine turn OFF.

Sounds like you need a 'mini' Beverage-on-the-Ground
(BOG) Antenna.
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...age/view1.html

MEMORIES Of Long Ago When I Was Younger : I had what is
was then called a Field Looong Wiiireee Antenniii up at
Sequoia Point in the Oakland Hills. It had a a piece of
Re-Bar in the Ground about 15 feet from the Parking Area
with the End of the Wire wrapped around it to Secure it
when not being used. Used a 50 Foot piece of Coax with
two Big Alligator Clips on one end one for the Outer
Copper Wire Shield and the other for the Inner Copper
Conduct. The End of the Antenna Wire had been Stripped
and folded over several times and Solder to form a Big Hunk
to Clip-on-to with the Alligator Clip. The Coax Cable
got connected using a Pair of Spade Terminals to a 'new'
HeathKit GC-1A "Mohican" Shortwave Radio that I had
built in my High School Electronics Class.
http://www.ea1jo.com/images/Gc-1a.jpg
http://www.qsl.net/kb7rgg/heath/products/radio/gc1a.jpg
http://www.heathkit-museum.com/ham/gc-1a.shtml
http://www.vintageradio.me.uk/military/mohican.htm
http://www.dundeecoll.ac.uk/sections...xt/Mohican.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heathkit-Mohican...temZ5829232163

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heathkit-GC-1A-M...temZ5830295286

http://cgi.ebay.com/HEATHKIT-MOHICAN...temZ6580913478
I use to think I could Hear-the-Whole-World back then . . .

FYI - HeathKit Non-Ham Receiver Matrix
http://www.qsl.net/kb7rgg/heath/prod...kit_radio.html

MORE - BEVERAGE ANTENNA - INFO :

Got Lots-of-Space ? Try a 1288 Foot BOG Antenna
pointed directly at Europe ABOUT - Beverage Antennas

* Read AMANDX Beverage Antennas by Shawn Axelrod
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/bevant.html

* Beverage Antennas - Some Practical Views
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...age/view1.html
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...e/view1.html#3

* Down To Earth Antennas
- by Joseph Buch
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...al/swlant.html
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...lant.html#beve...

* KB1GW's collection of Beverage Antenna Information
http://www.alleged.com/radio/Beverage2/
http://members.cox.net/kb1gw/beverageinfo2.htm

* Beverage Antenna Construction by W8JI
http://www.w8ji.com/beverages.htm

* Two Wire Beverage - by Jeff Parker [KA1GJ]
http://www.yccc.org/Articles/ka1gj_bev.htm

* So You Want to Build a Beverage Antenna ?
- by AA3PX
http://www.qsl.net/aa3px/design.html

* The Benchmark Beverage
- by Greg Ordy [W8WWV]
http://www.seed-solutions.com/gregor...Experimentatio...

* Remote-Controlled Termination Beverage Antenna
- by Steve Byan
http://users.rcn.com/oakridge.ma.ult.../RCT_Beverage/

* Beverage Antenna Page II
- by Andrew K. Dart
http://www.akdart.com/bev/bev2.html
[ The Beverage Antenna Memorandum ]
http://www.akdart.com/bev/bev.html

* Beverage Receive Antennas
- by N3RR
http://users.erols.com/n3rr/beverage/

* An Introduction to the Mysteries of Ground Radio
- by Gerry Vassilatos
http://www.borderlands.com/newstuff/...round-myst.htm

* Getting Started with Beverage Antennas
- by Misek Antenna Research
http://exax.net/
Publisher of The Beverage Antenna Handbook
and Supplier of Transformer Cores, Clips and
FET's used in Beverage Antenna construction.

* W3LPL on Beverages - by Frank Donavan
http://www.eham.net/articles/503

* Easy-Up Beverages - by Paul Ormandy
http://www.radiodx.com/spdxr/Beverages.htm

* Modern Beverage Receiving Antenna Construction and Installation
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/ice/11.htm
- by WX0B at Array Solutions
Old November 21st 05, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Think about Longwave (LW) and AM/MW Radio Reception and Mobile...

Take a card table that has folding legs on it with you or a couple of tv
trays that have folding legs and a piece of board and use that for a
table/bench.
cuhulin

Old November 21st 05, 02:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Be aware of tides,don't let that water cover your antenna wire.
cuhulin

Old November 21st 05, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Take some fishing tackle with you and you can fish for fish while you
are fishing for signals.
cuhulin

Old November 21st 05, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I never click on any websites you post,MORON mike.
cuhulin

Old November 21st 05, 03:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Greg

From: "RHF"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 20 Nov 2005 16:56:52 -0800
Subject: Think about Longwave (LW) and AM/MW Radio Reception and Mobile {Car}
DXing

(snip)

MEMORIES Of Long Ago When I Was Younger : I had what is
was then called a Field Looong Wiiireee Antenniii up at
Sequoia Point in the Oakland Hills. It had a a piece of
Re-Bar in the Ground about 15 feet from the Parking Area
with the End of the Wire wrapped around it to Secure it
when not being used. Used a 50 Foot piece of Coax with
two Big Alligator Clips on one end one for the Outer
Copper Wire Shield and the other for the Inner Copper
Conduct. The End of the Antenna Wire had been Stripped
and folded over several times and Solder to form a Big Hunk
to Clip-on-to with the Alligator Clip. The Coax Cable
got connected using a Pair of Spade Terminals to a 'new'
HeathKit GC-1A "Mohican" Shortwave Radio that I had
built in my High School Electronics Class.

Mohican! I always thought that was one cool looking receiver. Do you still
have it? What was it like? Would it be worth acquiring as a gen. coverage
program receiver?

Greg

Old November 21st 05, 03:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Greg,

No I do not have the HeathKit Mohican GC-1A any more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heathkit-GC-1A-M...temZ5832603589

It was a single conversion Radio with a 455 kHz IF.

Note - The HeathKit GR-78 was a follow-on to the GC-1A.
http://www.cpinternet.com/~ki0le/pages/gr78.htm
http://www.member.uni-oldenburg.de/o..._Schematic.jpg

I thought it was 'something' back then; buy a
Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium is a far far better
Radio.

RadioShack Realistic DX-394 "MOD'ed" by Low Bander
would be a better use of your money - IMHO
http://cgi.ebay.com/REALISTIC-DX-394...temZ5832923476

hope this helps ~ RHF