Old November 28th 05, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default degen de1103 vs sony icf-sw7600gr

I have both the DE1103 and the 7600gr. For the past week I have
compared them against my tabletop unit, a Kenwood R-1000. The antenna
selection included a 50 foot outdoor random wire, a sony windup 10
footer, and the degen DE-31 active loop. Listening times varied from
morning, midday and night.

Let me say first that I am pretty suprised with the de1103. For a radio
costing $50, it really is a bargin. The radio feels solid and compact.
Also, I love the anolog look of the LCD. I read the reviews from
Passport, and they panned the de1103's layout. But of late, I've lost
respect for that publication. I have NEVER found their "whats on
tonite" section to have accuate freqs! And their review are somewhat
bias.

Things I like about DE1103
1. small size
2. good speaker sound
3. tuning wheel
4.backlight on controls
5.sensitive
6.SSB
7.recharger batts included
8. good ear buds included

Things I dont like about DE1103
1. no volume wheel
2. SSB modes not changeable
3.SSB fine tuner is too wide and really touchy, hard to tune
4.SSB not very selective
5. batt springs mushy

Things I like about ICF-SW7600GR
1.small size
2.good speaker sound
3.very good selectivity (except for FM)
4.very good SSB reception (for portable)
5.very good MW reception (for portable)
6 ajustable attenuator ( good for long wire use)

Things I dont like about ICF-SW7600GR
1. no tuning wheel
2. odd scanning functions
3. no built-in batt recharger
4. no tone control wheel
5. local time 24:00 only
6.LCD too small

I like both radios. The sony is a little better overall and a lot
better on SSB. The Degen is smaller and more fun to tune-around with.
The Degen wins the "bang for the buck" award. The sony does a better
job of pulling in weak signals.

PS.. the degen DE-31 active loop is complete crap! The whip alone is
MUCH better!

All the Best John in San Antonio Tx..

Old November 30th 05, 12:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SeeingEyeDog

And you failed to mention one of the most important features on the Sony
7600GR that the Degan lacks.
A Synch-Detector that actually works and is unavailable on ANY portable in
its price class.

oups.com...

Old November 30th 05, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

The synch detector is an overhyped feature that rarely provides
significant improvement in intelligibility of a broadcast. IMHO of
course....

SeeingEyeDog wrote:
And you failed to mention one of the most important features on the Sony
7600GR that the Degan lacks.
A Synch-Detector that actually works and is unavailable on ANY portable in
its price class.

oups.com...

Old November 30th 05, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rob

Sort of like a noise blanker in a Drake LOL!....The button is on the radio
but you can never tell if its on or off no matter what....

ups.com...

SeeingEyeDog wrote:
And you failed to mention one of the most important features on the Sony
7600GR that the Degan lacks.
A Synch-Detector that actually works and is unavailable on ANY portable

in
its price class.

oups.com...

Old November 30th 05, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Yes, noise blankers are in my experience for button freaks! My Kenwood
R-5000 had two of them and a level control. For the most part they
didn't make the signal less intelligible.

Rob wrote:
Sort of like a noise blanker in a Drake LOL!....The button is on the radio
but you can never tell if its on or off no matter what....

ups.com...

SeeingEyeDog wrote:
And you failed to mention one of the most important features on the Sony
7600GR that the Degan lacks.
A Synch-Detector that actually works and is unavailable on ANY portable

in
its price class.

oups.com...

Old November 30th 05, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hmmm, I really like the noise blanker on the R8B. Someone upstairs from
me a couple of days ago was running a power drill and it was wreaking
havoc on my reception. I hit the noise blanker on the R8B and the noise
vanished....completely!

Steve

Old November 30th 05, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I find that it helps if you check both sidebands and the stick with
whichever one sounds best.

Old November 30th 05, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
wavetrapper

That has not been my experience with the Sony 2010 anyway. It very
much can make the difference between intelligibility or not. The
synch detect on the 7600g(r) can make a difference but it is not nearly
as dramatic on the 2010.

The synch detect on the R75 (after Kiwa mods) also is very effective.

The synch detect on the Grundig Sat 700 was not that great.

I have heard that the synch detect on the new E1 is quite effective and
I have heard the same about the circuit on the Drake R8B. I don't have
any experience with these 2 radios however.

Old November 30th 05, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

John S. wrote:
The synch detector is an overhyped feature that rarely provides
significant improvement in intelligibility of a broadcast. IMHO of
course....

This was just a Troll in my opinion and not a serious statement.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old November 30th 05, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

John S. wrote:
The synch detector is an overhyped feature that rarely provides
significant improvement in intelligibility of a broadcast. IMHO of
course....

I had a 7600 and the selectable sidebands were very asymmetric. Very
annoying.