Old December 12th 05, 06:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
G.T. Tyson

Default Soviet jammers- history questions

Like so many of you folks, I found the steady roar of Russian shortwave
radio jammers to be fascinating in spite of their inconvenience. When I
tuned through the bands on my uncle's old Zenith multiband radio back in
the day, I thought they were airplanes.

Where in Russia (or elsewhere) did these jammers broadcast from?

What did they use to create that roaring buzzsaw sound?

How many other countries did it?

How effective were they?

GTT
Old December 12th 05, 09:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Moskva.(Moscow) They used/use very tall big antennas and very high
powered amplifiers.
cuhulin

Old December 12th 05, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Art Harris

G.T. Tyson wrote:

When I tuned through the bands on my uncle's old Zenith multiband radio back in the day, I thought they were airplanes.

You may have been hearing "MUX" transmissions (multiplexed data) that
sounded like airplanes.

Art N2AH

Old December 12th 05, 09:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

Simon Mason wrote:
Apart from the book mentioned there is this personal account:

http://www.okupatsioon.ee/english/ma...dio/radio.html

Harumph. Can't get there from here. Connection fails somewhere around
gblx.net.

Old December 12th 05, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

Art Harris wrote:
G.T. Tyson wrote:
When I tuned through the bands on my uncle's old Zenith multiband radio back in the day, I thought they were airplanes.

You may have been hearing "MUX" transmissions (multiplexed data) that
sounded like airplanes.

He's the only other living person I ever heard saying that jamming
sounded like airplanes. I'm convinced he heard what I heard, and what
I heard was jamming.

Old December 12th 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

clifto wrote:

Art Harris wrote:
G.T. Tyson wrote:
When I tuned through the bands on my uncle's old Zenith multiband radio back in the day, I thought they were airplanes.

You may have been hearing "MUX" transmissions (multiplexed data) that
sounded like airplanes.

He's the only other living person I ever heard saying that jamming
sounded like airplanes. I'm convinced he heard what I heard, and what
I heard was jamming.

Well, the MUX stuff sounded like one was flying in a DC-3. But that stuff was generally in the utility bands, not on the SWBC
bands.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean Homebrew 20 February 22nd 05 08:04 PM
The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean General 20 February 22nd 05 08:04 PM
George Bush OT Twistedhed CB 2 April 10th 04 12:32 AM
The main problem with Ham radio... Observer Policy 59 February 1st 04 08:43 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM