Old December 12th 05, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DJ Bjorklund

Default Amazon's 7600GR price

I just noticed the Sony ICF-SW7600GR at Amazon for $129.15 shipped, so
I got one.

A couple years ago (?) I bought one when, I believe, the model was
first released (or was at least in high demand) for ~$200 shipped. I
had to let go of same about 4 months later when my schedule didn't
allow for much listening time, thus I couldn't justify keeping two
C-notes in a SW portable. Still in demand, I got only $10 less than I
paid for it as I recall.

Still not a lot of time, but what a good delivered price. I guess
I've also heard that Sony is getting out of the SW market. Too bad,
but that may explain the deal a bit too, eh? Maybe a guy should grab
a couple more...? ;-)
Old December 13th 05, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

"... Maybe a guy should grab a couple more...? ;-)"

I did, just the other day. Too good a deal to pass up. That'll give me
five 'GR's (along with five AN-LP1 antennas) and I can "retire" my two
'G models. While performance is identical, I like the feature set on
the 'GR somewhat better (especially the non-volatile memories).

Unless someone comes out with something absolutely fantastic, I think
this may be my last SW "portable" purchase.

Best,

Joe

Old December 13th 05, 01:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DJ Bjorklund

On 12 Dec 2005 16:01:12 -0800, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:

"... Maybe a guy should grab a couple more...? ;-)"

I did, just the other day. Too good a deal to pass up. That'll give me
five 'GR's (along with five AN-LP1 antennas) and I can "retire" my two
'G models. While performance is identical, I like the feature set on
the 'GR somewhat better (especially the non-volatile memories).

Unless someone comes out with something absolutely fantastic, I think
this may be my last SW "portable" purchase.

Wow! You use them all Joe?!
I was going to do it from the Capitalist perspective, speculating that
I could off-load them after they're no longer available. But I
digress...

Have you ever tried the Degen DE31 active antenna? I had an AN-LP1
too but let it go about the time I did the radio. And the GR's
memories are non-volital as long as you get batteries changed in like
30 seconds, right?

Finally, to avoid that, what is the voltage requirement of the AC
adapter safely used with this radio. (And I know I only want to use
it for FM)
Old December 13th 05, 10:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Wow! You use them all Joe?!

Yes!

Have you ever tried the Degen DE31 active antenna?

No, I haven't. From the looks of it, I should have thought its
performance would be similar to that of the AOR WL-500 Window Loop
Antenna, but, according to PASSPORT, and most of the on-line reviews I
have read, it is not.

And the GR's memories are non-volatile as long as you get batteries changed in like
30 seconds, right?

Not true - the memories are truly non-volatile. (This also applies to
the Sony ICF-SW35.) You can leave the batteries out for months
(probably years, maybe "forever") and the memories remain. You only
"lose" the clock time but even then you have at least a minute to
change the batteries before the time "erases."

The AC adapter's output voltage is 6 V DC. In my opinion you should NOT
buy Sony's AC adapter for this radio (it is a switching-type and is
marked, according to PASSPORT, "not for use with radios." Buy
Universal's substitute. It costs the same as the Sony's, is of good
quality (from what I'm told) and is a transformer-type. It will still
cause some hum on SW (and possibly MW), I believe, though nowhere near
as much as Sony's. I cannot comment on any AC adapter's performance on
FM. I use only NiMH rechargeable batteries with my '7600's.

Best,

Joe