Old December 14th 05, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Plimmer

Default Drake Receivers

The R8 and R8E are the same, the "E" denoting the European version that had
certain frequencies blocked.
The R8 is a fine radio but a bit dated by today's standards, but if you pick
one up at a good price you will be very satisfied.

The R8A and R8B are the same except for the "B" having a really stupendous
sideband sync detector that makes listening to AM programming an absolute
pleasure. The "B" also has 1000 memories as against 400 on the "A".
Both these radio's are top of the line for serious DXing (ask dxAce).
See my review of the Drake R8A with B updates at
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

"Steve Rabinowitz" wrote in message
nk.net...
Been looking to buy a Drake receiver on Ebay, which one is the most
recommended, the R-8, R-8A, R-8B or R-8E. Thanks.

Old December 14th 05, 06:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The European version had certain frequencies blocked? I find that
awfully hard to believe.I still dont believe it.
cuhulin

Old December 14th 05, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Michael Lawson wrote:

"John Plimmer" wrote in message
The R8 and R8E are the same, the "E" denoting the European version

that had
certain frequencies blocked.
The R8 is a fine radio but a bit dated by today's standards, but if

you pick
one up at a good price you will be very satisfied.

Dated in a relative sense; there were some tweaks
between the R8 and R8A, but unless you really
want the improved ergonomics of the A, you can
do just fine with a regular R8. Ace acquired an
A about a half a year ago, and he didn't notice
too much of a difference between it and his regular
R8. (Did I get that right, Ace?)

No, and I sold it, do wonder sometimes why I did that though! Still operating
the R7, R8 and R8B.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 14th 05, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Then why is it I can buy an unblocked scanner Radio (if I want to) from
Europe? (I know a few tricks) and the European versions of Drake Radios
have "certain" frequiencies blocked in Europe,,, I Dont Believe It!!!???
Convience Me!
cuhulin

Old December 14th 05, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Lawson

[...]

The R8 series is the one that supplanted the
previous generation of tabletops (R-5000, IC-R71A
and NRD-525) as the top of the line in the tabletop
(non-professional grade) radio.

--Mike L.

Old December 14th 05, 09:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"John Plimmer" wrote:

The R8 and R8E are the same, the "E" denoting the European version
that had certain frequencies blocked. The R8 is a fine radio but a
bit dated by today's standards, but if you pick one up at a good
price you will be very satisfied.

Snip

What do you mean by "dated by today's standards"?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 14th 05, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Lawson

"dxAce" wrote in message

Michael Lawson wrote:

"John Plimmer" wrote in message
The R8 and R8E are the same, the "E" denoting the European

version
that had
certain frequencies blocked.
The R8 is a fine radio but a bit dated by today's standards, but

if
you pick
one up at a good price you will be very satisfied.

Dated in a relative sense; there were some tweaks
between the R8 and R8A, but unless you really
want the improved ergonomics of the A, you can
do just fine with a regular R8. Ace acquired an
A about a half a year ago, and he didn't notice
too much of a difference between it and his regular
R8. (Did I get that right, Ace?)

No, and I sold it, do wonder sometimes why I did that though! Still

operating
the R7, R8 and R8B.

I still occasionally wonder why I sold my R70, since
it would do well enough for a DXing rig to compliment
the Sat 800 I have. Although I have to admit that
I still kick myself for not having followed through
and bought the R8A from you when you'd made it
plain you were interested in selling.

Oh well.

--Mike L.

Old December 15th 05, 12:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Less than a year ago,a guy emailed me and he said health problems forces
him to sell his Drake R8B Radio.He wanted to know if I was interested in
buying his radio.I knew I couldn't afford it.
cuhulin

Old December 15th 05, 01:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It's raining like a cow peein on a brown flat rock here in
Jackson,Mississippi and my DirectTV signal went out,,, it's back on now.
cuhulin

Drake Receivers [email protected] Shortwave 20 December 21st 05 12:20 AM
ABOUT - The RL Drake R8 - R8A - R8B Communication Receivers RHF Shortwave 3 December 15th 05 01:33 AM
Drake Receivers Telamon Shortwave 2 December 14th 05 06:43 PM
Drake SW2 vs other mw receivers? Smokey Shortwave 3 November 25th 05 02:45 AM
FA - R. L. Drake SW8 'portable' World Band Shortwave Communications Receiver RHF Shortwave 7 January 4th 05 03:00 AM